I think I spun a bearing or something..not good (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Coming back from my kid's soccer practice last night I started losing oil pressure and when I got home there was a puddle of oil gushing from the 60 from parts unknown. Today it knocked when I started it up, so something bad happended. There's oil everywhere but I think a crank seal blew. I always joked that that I could get another crate motor from GM for cheap if somehting bad happened. I think I'm in for at least a new bottom end, maybe more.

I'm tight on cash but the Lotus is going up for sale soon, so I'm thinking maybe a swap from a wrecked Yukon hybrid might make the 60 a more fuel efficient vehicle and make it a more viable daily driver (if I could figure out the details with electronics, etc.).

Just thinking out loud now.

That sucks, I feel your pain. I'm in the preliminary stages of swapping a 98 5.7 vortec and 4l60e into my 60. I've just started (slowly) pulling the wiring from the donor truck. If you want to see it to get some idea of the wiring just holler.

I think the hybrid would be overly expensive and complicated compared to a more common setup. It would be cool, though. Budlong will rebuild a stock 350 surprisingly cheap, last one I talked to Todd about he quoted me right at 1k for everything.

Greg,

I wouldn't bother with the hybrid.

I don't know what the bottom end would cost but you can get better mpg and power out of the Gen III/IV V8's. You can find a LM7 (iron block 5.3) for easily under $1K and usually for about $5-700. The 5.3 was in everything and I bet in ABQ with all the trucks everywhere there should be availability. Starts out at around 300hp and bolts right up to whatever you have since you already have a SBC, right? Change the mounts, get the computer figured and run it. Easy for me to say....:hmm:

For a little more horsepower look at the LQ4 6.0L or the HO version the LQ9.

G

Aww..ferrcrisake check the post date. April Fools. Just trying to breath some life into an otherwise dead forum. The 60 is fine. Mea culpa.

Aww..ferrcrisake check the post date. April Fools. Just trying to breath some life into an otherwise dead forum. The 60 is fine. Mea culpa.

lol RICKROLL in effect...

i was skeptical at selling lotus... :grinpimp:

but i'll totally admit i had the thought <i wonder if i would fit in it>

...i was skeptical at selling lotus... :grinpimp:

but i'll totally admit i had the thought <i wonder if i would fit in it>

you buy the Lotus and I'll race you with my diesel truck!:lol::flipoff2:

Sell the lotus, keep the lotus. I had no clue why or why not you would or wouldn't sell a worthless but very light and therefore fast car. I bet it's awesome going from 0-35mph while in town.:flipoff2: That's why I got rid of the Audi.

Anybody care to guess why I have a new found education on Gen III/IV Chevy V8's? I may be able to explain later this week if all goes well.:cool:

G

Sell the lotus, keep the lotus. I had no clue why or why not you would or wouldn't sell a worthless but very light and therefore fast car.

Chicks dig it and the 60 does very poorly at the autocross...

Sell the lotus, keep the lotus. I had no clue why or why not you would or wouldn't sell a worthless but very light and therefore fast car. I bet it's awesome going from 0-35mph while in town.:flipoff2: That's why I got rid of the Audi.

Anybody care to guess why I have a new found education on Gen III/IV Chevy V8's? I may be able to explain later this week if all goes well.:cool:

G

First dibs on your 1FZ!

;)

I bet it's awesome going from 0-35mph while in town.:flipoff2: That's why I got rid of the Audi.

G

well at least you are addressing the issue of our 80's reaching 35 by the end of town... course it could be worse, we could be driving a 40 that tops out at 55...:lol::flipoff2:

G

Hopefully you'll just sell the LX and get an appropriate platform for the Gen IV engine. If you're thinking of swapping out the engine, I'd go for the Atlas 4.2 myself. :meh:

I'm already experiencing an inferiority complex about my puny 260 HP L31 (Gen 1 Vortec) and it is still on a stand in the garage.

I'd be half tempted to bite if there was somewhere that Smokey Bear or other traffic wasn't a concern. Need an abandoned airstrip or something.

My money is on the diseasel truck. Any takers?

-Mike-

I'd be half tempted to bite if there was somewhere that Smokey Bear or other traffic wasn't a concern. Need an abandoned airstrip or something.

Maybe you should take a ride in the truck before you get too bold. Shawn's truck is quick. Real quick.

-Mike-

My money is on the diseasel truck. Any takers?

-Mike-

What's the bet? I have not been in either of the said car or truck. What distance are we talking about. Quater mile? Mile....?

What are you worried about? I'm sure there are enough radios in the group to find the smokeys and get a quick run in. Like Onur says, "Epic"! A off road tow rig vs. sports car in drag race would be. Just a thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom