I think i need a little help? Blown head gasket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engines aren’t quite as mysterious as some would make it out to be. Something is stoppoing the cam from turning. What year engine are we talking about? I understand that the variable valve timing engine are interference engines. If you (carefully) move the cranshaft a bit does the cam free up?
1999 4.7

Engines aren’t quite as mysterious as some would make it out to be. Something is stoppoing the cam from turning. What year engine are we talking about? I understand that the variable valve timing engine are interference engines. If you (carefully) move the cranshaft a bit does the cam free up?

Agreed to an extent. As i often tell people, it's just nuts and bolts. And the 2UZ is pretty resilient and low stress so a torque value being off here and there isn't going to grenade it in a day. That being said... there's an awful lot of parts and wires and clips and bearings and seals and gaskets and mating surface prep required to put it together and keep it running for more than a month. Without the FSM, what are the chances of correctly placing the timing belt all all three pulleys? Low, I think.

Agreed to an extent. As i often tell people, it's just nuts and bolts. And the 2UZ is pretty resilient and low stress so a torque value being off here and there isn't going to grenade it in a day. That being said... there's an awful lot of parts and wires and clips and bearings and seals and gaskets and mating surface prep required to put it together and keep it running for more than a month. Without the FSM, what are the chances of correctly placing the timing belt all all three pulleys? Low, I think.
Shrug. I managed without a manual but my new belt had marks on it so it was kinda paint-by-number. As far as torque numbers go, "Pretty tight" is pretty good. The 2UZ in our Sequoia has about 435,000 km on it now. I wouldn't be so brave with something of value.

Shrug. I managed without a manual but my new belt had marks on it so it was kinda paint-by-number. As far as torque numbers go, "Pretty tight" is pretty good. The 2UZ in our Sequoia has about 435,000 km on it now. I wouldn't be so brave with something of value.
Even if I end up having to do a engine swap I will be money ahead LC super clean

Are you sure it isn't just compression. Try taking out the spark plugs, or at least the six easiest ones.

A warped head torqued to a flat block will bind the cam shaft. Also improper torque sequence and/or torque specs can warp the head and bind the cam.

Did you verify that the block and head were flat before putting everything back together?

A warped head torqued to a flat block will bind the cam shaft. Also improper torque sequence and/or torque specs can warp the head and bind the cam.

Did you verify that the block and head were flat before putting everything back together?
Yes I put a straight edge on it and it looked good I’m trying to find one as we speak I will look at this again when I take it back off
Thanks

Yes I put a straight edge on it and it looked good I’m trying to find one as we speak I will look at this again when I take it back off
Thanks

Your willingness to just dive in is impressive. Many people freak out about having to DIY an alternator and here you are with a straight edge, no FSM and taking cylinder heads on and off on a whim. Haha.

Kudos.

I didn’t check the the block

Huh. Today I learned. Makes sense but never thought of that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom