I think i might have a rod knock...options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think i might be developing a rod knock. Odd think is i have always had good oil pressure and it has not been overheated. but so goes life. Right now it is nothing bad just a strange "rhythmic" noise. I am going to have Beno take a look at it and see what he thinks. But if it is the bottom end what are my options with rebuilding? If it is crank/rods and the boors look good it possible to just pull the motor and head and do new crank and rod bearings? I was all ready looking to do a head rebuild in the future so that will be done regardless. But the bottom end was not on my radar. I would imagine the big expense becomes OEM pistons/rings. Obviously if the rod or crank spun a bearing and is scored it is toast. But any chance it can have a little knocking and be repaired with just bearings and after having the rod inspected by a machine shop?

PS i have my fingers crossed on this but i am not hopefull. the noise is not load but i have a bad feeling. Right now it is quiet enough that you cant hear it driving. The road noise at even at light throttle covers it up at about 20 MPH.

Edit: Figured it out. Holly crap and i happy it is not the bottom end. It is a exhaust leak which i kind of thought it might be. But last night when i first noticed it in the parking deck for work i crawled around the right side and the exhaust. The sound was much quieter. So i figured it was not a exhaust leak. Where else do we have exhaust? The F&$@ing EGR tube! Today when i had time to really look at it the sound really sounded more like the top end and back by cylinder 6. So crawled over there. and the noise is all around the EGR tube. Also the tube has a lot of play in it like it is loose. Who knows? Cool thing is i was getting ready to do a head gasket mostly to fix worn valve guide seals. So while the head is out i will just Pull the EGR tube and put a block off plate on there.

Thanks for everyones advice and help.

Last edited:
Obviously, it is hard to really help you in this situation without better information, hearing it. I can tell you this. We bought a 95 80 with a "blown" motor, I drove it on the trailer. After replacing a cracked radiator and fluids my wife has been driving "Dexter" for over two years.

Best I or anyone else that has really listened can tell, it has a wrist pin knock. Louder at start up, louder some times than others. My wife tells folks that pester her about it, "It's a diesel". No one has asked to look yet :)

I would make sure that you are good with oil and water and keep driving it, all the while saving your pennies. The options for what you can replace a blown motor with are wide open when and if the time comes.

I know it is hard to know what it is. That is why I am going to have it looked t by Be no first thing. I am really luck to be local to him. I guess this thread is really just me vent in and airing out my head a little. Part of my problem is that I travel cross country for work. So you can imagine the problem of the motor going south in the middle of the country. If I fix it here I have my shop and other resources like Be no and ACC.

It'd cost you about $30 for a Used Oil Analysis to have a lab tell you what wear metals are in the oil. If you have ANYTHING approaching abnormal bearing or piston wear it'd come up with a giant screaming red flag when you get the results.

Thanks for everyones help. Figured it out and it is not the bottom end.

and just because the thread title :flipoff2:
knock.jpg

I edited the original post. Leaky EGR tube. Strange.

Nice! I remember when I blocked off the egr on my 4runner, I didnt get it sealed entirely, and when I first started it up I was like HOLY *&$% Thats a nasty knock.. Once I got it all sealed up correctly, the noise was, and still is gone...

think this might be leaking????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom