I think I may have gotten the last one in the world.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So in my struggle to get a replacement clamshell for my steering column, I had bought a used one that was in MUCH worse condition that originally thought. Tons of micro cracks that ended up with the screw posts shattering at the slightest stress. I had gotten it from Classic Cruisers, but I don't blame them for the condition of the part. At visual inspection it did look just fine. I don't think there's any way they could've been able to tell the underlying condition of it and if they could, given their reputation, I doubt they would've shipped it. Anyway, I decided to buy new OEM since I had found out they actually did appear to be available. The lower half was no problem, but each time I tried to order an upper from a supplier it would get canceled and labeled as NLA. This happened with four different suppliers. So it appeared there weren't any in the US anyore. I tried Partsouq and they showed ONE available so I gave it a shot. It just came today and man is it nice. No threads cut into the screw posts, nice clean plastic, still somewhat pliable, and when I opened the sealed bubble wrap I got a whiff of that solvent smell that new plastic has. I think I really lucked out on this one. I'm going to use a tap and longer machine screws (metric of course) to secure it to the lower half so I don't butcher it with those self tapping screws and hopefully have it last until a metal replacement is available. Needless to say this made my day :bounce:

Top Cover.jpg

Top Cover 02.jpg

What's the rough price on these guys? Mine's in decent shape, but does have one cracked mount - might be interested in replacing...

What's the rough price on these guys? Mine's in decent shape, but does have one cracked mount - might be interested in replacing...
Funny enough, from the domestic dealers it was about $60 after shipping for each piece, but from Partsouq the upper was $50 delivered, and as with everything I ordered from them, came to WA State from Dubai only two days after they shipped it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom