I think i found the one for me???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, due to money "issues" i have much less than about a week ago (who doesnt, right?). Anyway, I found one i think makes sense for me. Please let me know your thoughts.

Its an FJ62 with about 200k on it. In Calif its whole life.

-> Literally only rust was inside the drivers door on the door pillar. Odd place...and the body shop next door to the mechanic knew right away what it was from. owner is a surfer and salt water is the culprit. He said we could save it with some work so not too bad and nowhere else.

-> Tranny checked out (as far as a solid pre-purchase inspection can go anyway) but all fluids definitely need replacement.

-> Engine I think is ok..but i am no mechanic so i had a compression test. Results are 150 , 130 , 145 , 150 , 135 , 150. I am a dunce when it comes to this but knew i should at least have it done...thoughts?

-> All but the drivers window are not working so the estimate to fix, assuming new from dealer, is $381 parts for the new window master switch panel which mechanic agreed was a lot, but he called to check for me so i would have a baseline

-> brakes are about 50%, tires need replacing soon and i dont like them anyway so not an issue with me.

-> AC not working and while i dont follow, he said it would 1st need to be "converted", for about $350, and that wouldnt necessarily fix it but would need to be done to test further.

$3000????

can you please explain why to pass?

i have looked at many, none of which guarantee they wont also need some work, if not more, and they were much more. what is it that makes you say pass?

Where are you located? But there are way to many things wrong with it to be a 3k truck.

Did your tester take on road test after the transmission heated up to see if slippage? The window issue is not a switch i would be more of a motor issue and good look of the price of those......

A/c out could be a can of worms..

There are better ones out there....look harder

Where are you located? But there are way to many things wrong with it to be a 3k truck.

Did your tester take on road test after the transmission heated up to see if slippage? The window issue is not a switch i would be more of a motor issue and good look of the price of those......

A/c out could be a can of worms..

There are better ones out there....look harder
located in SoCal and there is nothing remotely close in price to this that doesnt also have way more issues, look like entire crap inside and out. this has been with family entire life, serviced at same place and sure its not perfect, but those for a few thousand more dont necessarily have less issues. and this one has zero rust period, other than from surfboard saltwater which i was quote for $100.

anyway, thanks for input as it helps

You said you have money issues but the crusier needs,,
tires,window fixed, ac work, when you buy a crusier like this
you need to change or at lest check rearend and t-case oil
brakes sooner than later.
remember you have to get it to pass smog first.
that can be a can of worms in its self.
GOOD LUCK RAMZ.

So, due to money "issues" i have much less than about a week ago (who doesnt, right?). Anyway, I found one i think makes sense for me. Please let me know your thoughts.

Its an FJ62 with about 200k on it. In Calif its whole life.

-> Literally only rust was inside the drivers door on the door pillar. Odd place...and the body shop next door to the mechanic knew right away what it was from. owner is a surfer and salt water is the culprit. He said we could save it with some work so not too bad and nowhere else.

-> Tranny checked out (as far as a solid pre-purchase inspection can go anyway) but all fluids definitely need replacement.

-> Engine I think is ok..but i am no mechanic so i had a compression test. Results are 150 , 130 , 145 , 150 , 135 , 150. I am a dunce when it comes to this but knew i should at least have it done...thoughts?

-> All but the drivers window are not working so the estimate to fix, assuming new from dealer, is $381 parts for the new window master switch panel which mechanic agreed was a lot, but he called to check for me so i would have a baseline

-> brakes are about 50%, tires need replacing soon and i dont like them anyway so not an issue with me.

-> AC not working and while i dont follow, he said it would 1st need to be "converted", for about $350, and that wouldnt necessarily fix it but would need to be done to test further.

$3000????

From the bottom up...if AC just needs converted and recharged...that is $50 item at any auto parts store and can be done in about 15 mins. Did it to my 89 and 91. They sell a conversion kit with two cans of 134 with special oil and the fittings (2) and the gauge to fill the system. Easy, if thats all.

Tires is tires...

Probably is the switch panel...never had motors go in mine.

The compression test is a little un-nerving the 130 reading is outside the 10% rule. Maybe a little more investigation there or to confirm the person doing the testing did it right.

Transmission...sorry not my area...I've got two of these ..one with 210k and the other 245k...still hanging in there.

$3k may be a little strong based on the compression numbers.

My .02.

Found mine in Cali about a year and a half ago, rebuilt engine, new cat, all smog redone, brand new tires, some rust because of surfing as well but nothing major for $2500, it has a lot of miles but its ran with no problems since. i would pay $1200 max for the one you found. u can find a waaaaaayy better deal

You said you have money issues but the crusier needs,,
tires,window fixed, ac work, when you buy a crusier like this
you need to change or at lest check rearend and t-case oil
brakes sooner than later.
remember you have to get it to pass smog first.
that can be a can of worms in its self.
GOOD LUCK RAMZ.

you are all right...i passed. i would rather pay a bit more up front with more piece of mind. cheers

Honestly, the truck you first asked about did not seem too bad if that was all that was wrong with it. Going to be hard or impossible to find a perfect one with great tires, brakes, etc etc..

Honestly, the truck you first asked about did not seem too bad if that was all that was wrong with it. Going to be hard or impossible to find a perfect one with great tires, brakes, etc etc..

my OCD kicked up again and u r probably right. my biggest concern was one that i realized today and is a dealbreaker if no way to address.

I tried to google, search, etc...but am not finding compelling info on whether or not one can retrofit/aftermarket any sort of 3-point harness setup in the rear. with kids, their mom will freak if i cant address this issue

help????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom