1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I found out why my 80 idles shaky

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by nyk438, Mar 1, 2004.

1. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Took the cruiser to get it inspected today and it didn't pass :doh:. Guy came back and said that I had an exhaust leak somewhere...he guessed at the cat or the headers. Got home angry since I had gotten a ticket earlier for having it just expire, now I need to somehow fix it and get it inspected within around 5 days without having to pay over 100 bucks for the damn thing..

--The exhaust leak is waht is causing me to idle so bad right?

2. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

probably only part of the problem and unfortunately probably not the root of the problem. unless you have a leak at the headers (pre 02 sensor) it should not affect the idle that much. first find the leak and then decide to blame the rough running on the leak.
    Dave

3. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=12391;start=msg113533#msg113533 date=1078198702]
    probably only part of the problem and unfortunately probably not the root of the problem. unless you have a leak at the headers (pre 02 sensor) it should not affect the idle that much. first find the leak and then decide to blame the rough running on the leak.
    Dave
    [/quote]

Ya, I've gone over the car trying to see if tehre are any hoses disconnected or what, haven't been able to find any. I"m guessing it's that + underpowered alternator but blah idk...

4. SteveLCetc

SteveLCetc

Mine shakes at idle too - I'm thinking it might be because the idle is set low, like to about 700 rpm. Maybe bumping it up to where it should be (800 rpm) will help, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...

5. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

Are you sure the airboot isnt cracked or a bad EGR hose? Mine was doign the same thing and found a crack in the hose.

Chris

6. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

AZcruiser - I'm still a car newbie, what did you just say? oo the egr hose is the hose that is connected to the air filter?

SteveLCetc - How would I turn the idle up?

7. Beowulf

Beowulf

Steve,
    Don't be messin' with the idle. 650-700 is perfect. If it's missing or running rough then something else is wrong. Try some fuel injection cleaner first as that will ususally smooth it out. Next would be cleaning the throttle body. Doug's posted good instructions on doing that.

Your idle speed is perfect.

-B-

8. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

B,

Are you referring to me? I have posted throttle body cleaning for a couple vehicles on a couple boards but didn't recall it here. The biggest help is to park the truck so it leans as heavily as possible to the right. It will help the crud flow out instead of into the intake.

DougM

9. Junk

Junk

Doug, feel free to post away on that. I'm hoping that is the missing link in my EGR battle. I'm now into round 2 of replacing all the bits and am getting fed up with it. Have not cleaned the throttle body though. :whoops:

10. cruiserman

cruiserman

[quote author=SteveLCetc link=board=2;threadid=12391;start=msg113555#msg113555 date=1078200292]
    Mine shakes at idle too - I'm thinking it might be because the idle is set low, like to about 700 rpm. Maybe bumping it up to where it should be (800 rpm) will help, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...
    [/quote] 650RPM is the correct idle, out of gear.

11. stlcruiser

stlcruiser

Cleaning the throttle body fixed my high idle at start-up!

Steve 94'

12. Pitbull

Pitbull

My mechanic has a machine that he says cleans the valves and the injectors better than anyway he has ever seen. He hooks the LC up to this machine and it runs for over 30 minutes with cleaner working through the injection system (while the truck is running). Anybody ever use something like this?

13. lagwagon

lagwagon

I have a FI cleaning system like you mentioned. I does an excellent job cleaning valves, injectors and combustion chambers. The only downfall is that it does nothing for the thottle body and upper intake which is where I find more problems occurring. I have found Seafoam TB cleaner, towels, and a small pipe cleaner to work the best.

14. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

nyk,
    the throttle body hoses are two peices. they connect the cold air intake on the 3fe to the mass air flow sensor and then a second hose to the throttle body. tey are about 4" in diameter and are corrugated. look on the bottom side of the one next to the throttle body as it is the most common break form removing the air cleaner lid without taking these off.
    the egr on the 3fe is the modulator and the valve the will be on the drivers side of the block and look like two vacuum actuators commected to each other by hoses. one is about 3" round and the other is about 4" round. if you cant find them post back and I can throw up some pics.
    Dave

15. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> Are you referring to me? <<

Yes, I thought you had posted the throttle body cleaning here. If not then, as Junk suggested, it would be a great post to refer people to when they are having rough idle. As I recall you did several things including lubing the cables and cleaning everything up real good.

-B-

16. DoggieStyle

DoggieStyle

Give some more details about your "shaky idle". Does it idle smooth when cold and get rough when warm?

17. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Smooth when the engine is cold, when it warms up is where it gets shaky.

Phaedrus - Could you throw up some pics, that'd be really helpful. Thanks. :beer:

18. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

this is the modulator and directly to the right is the valve. mine blew a hose a couple of weeks ago and was running poorly. replaced the hose and is running fine now. thanks to my new fsm form cdan I will dig a littl deeper later in the week.
    Dave

19. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=12391;start=msg114026#msg114026 date=1078272714]
    this is the modulator and directly to the right is the valve. mine blew a hose a couple of weeks ago and was running poorly. replaced the hose and is running fine now. thanks to my new fsm form cdan I will dig a littl deeper later in the week.
    Dave
    [/quote]

Thanks! I'm gonna go check that right now.

20. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    I am interested in throttle body cleaning tips. I am cleaning my throttle body properly this weekend to also try to fix my EGR. I think I have eliminated everything else as I am also replacing the EGR valve. the main throttle body chamber is clear (had it off two weeks ago), but I am trying to clean out the side ports that lead to the EGR system because I think they are blocked. I am hoping a skinny pipe cleaner, bailing wire and carb cleaner will do the trick.