I think I found my Cruiser. I'd love a nod of approval before going ahead. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would use caution many of those Bronx dealers are pretty sketchy. I've only had my LX for 6 months but I know 4x4s well and have driven coast to coast all over the country and have performed all of my own mods and service for over a million miles. Let me know if you need any help I am on the island.
For rust I would recommend you fluid film the entire chassis. Besides giving great protection its like a long term penetration oil and makes service way easier.
I got my 2000 LX with 125k miles for $10k locally here, well serviced at lexus and minimal rust.

I don't know where you are located but i'd personally pass on that one. You can only see the surface rust and never really know how affected some of the brake lines are, top of the gas tank etc. I live in the SE so it was easier for me to find a rust-free example but I would wait for a better one to come along. Just my opinion.

Alright, alright, alright...

So i went down to the Bronx two days ago and saw the LX470. It was an impressive truck, the second 100 series I've really looked at up close and I further understood why these LC/LX are so highly valued. This one had a few more issues than mentioned on net. There was a crack in the rear bumper that had been painted over, possibly to prevent rust or halt some already forming. There was also a point on the behind driver side rear wheel with about a 8 inch circle of white paint that looked like it was a rust removal/ prevention. and a point on the passenger front wheel that was bubbling with rust. The dealer, a nice guy, was dismissive of my pointing these things out making it sound like I was asking too much to remark on them.

I spent a solid 10 minutes under the truck really looking at the frame. It didn't look like it was rusted out but there was ample surface rust.

he was asking 12k which seems low for the current market but maybe I would be better waiting for a few months to find a really clean LX or even spend a but more for a LC.

Thank you for all the input and an extra shoutout to @jlm43 for reaching out and answering texts while I was at the dealer.

Photos

20201125_165941.jpg

20201125_165951.jpg

20201125_170002.jpg

20201125_170156.jpg

20201125_170211.jpg

Pretty much every 100 you will see in New York is going to look like that. The bumpers are plastic, so it was likely from NY bronx parking rash that was a cosmetic fix.

Some users on here are going gasp at that rust, but people living in the rust belt, that's pretty average and normal. If you keep looking at 100s in your region, what you will see is that norm. Anything that is below market means it's been in the salt belt, simple as that. It's been like that since the beginning of used cars.

These are 14-23 year old trucks now so...

That torsion bar adjustment bolt looks gnarly, and the AHC accumulator will rust through soon. Keep shopping

As a southerner that rust does scare me. The first 100 I looked at spent time in NY and the frame was obviously rusted then painted over with something like black spray paint. You yankees may be used to it though so if the truck has no wrecks and a good service history do it.

If the timing belt is due I'd use that to knock about $1k off asking price. Those tires are toast too. When we bought our FJ I got them to throw on some new all terrains so I'd try to negotiate that.

For a keeper it’s borderline. If you go over every inch of that undercarriage right away, sure. It’s treatable now, don’t wait. It will still give you a hard time with a few fasteners but it’s not too bad.

That’s waaay too much rust in my opinion. Look around, but not up north. I have shopped and bought many rust free cruisers. I just bought an 05 w 235K that was in amazing condition and very well maintained. Another 02 w 150K even better. Be patient. And look at many. The more you look the more you know what to look for and the more patient you will get. Look in the south and pay someone to do a PPI if needed.

I've decided to hold off on the LX and wait until a 03-07 LC comes on the market that's in my price range and in solid condition. I would want to eventually switch the suspension, which as far as I can garner will run around a 1k, plus the cost of wheels, redoing the bolts and other bits, and then the timing belt. The LX that was 12k will be more around 15 and at that range I can more easily justify jumping into the LC which is what I ultimately would dream of as my truck. So, the hunt continues. I'm going to sell the outback which is the lowest milage manual transmission in the country, so hopefully it sells fairly easily and I can get into the truck.

thank you all for the input and furthering my hopes to get into a Cruiser, on top of the truck being a beast, y'all seem like a good group as well.

I think you made a wise choice passing on that one. I have had decent luck shopping on the edge of the rust belt in central Virginia but in New England I think you are going to have a much more difficult time. I just landed my second cruiser which I have been on the look out for over 3 years. Budget, rust, and proximity were my primary concerns but I finally landed an 07 lx with 163K minimal rust. I settled on my first cruiser a 98 lc with 186k and moderate rust but it was a good way to get my feet wet.

Awesome info and knowledge in this thread. I've been researching a little while now and there were at least 3 things mentioned frame wise I had not really considered. Kinda hoping the market will calm down a little next year and we can make a move to join you guys... convincing the wife is already half the battle, right?! Took me over a year to find my low mileage no oil-burning 2012 manual TL, so I am gearing up for the same with finding a well maintained LC/LX. Loving the high activity in this forum, refreshing as Acurazine seems to be sadly dying out.

Good luck to the OP in finding their desired rig!

Awesome info and knowledge in this thread. I've been researching a little while now and there were at least 3 things mentioned frame wise I had not really considered. Kinda hoping the market will calm down a little next year and we can make a move to join you guys... convincing the wife is already half the battle, right?! Took me over a year to find my low mileage no oil-burning 2012 manual TL, so I am gearing up for the same with finding a well maintained LC/LX. Loving the high activity in this forum, refreshing as Acurazine seems to be sadly dying out.

Good luck to the OP in finding their desired rig!

Hey good luck right back to you.

Just a small update. I found a 4th and 5th gen 4runner in the area, the truck that initially made me realize that the outback just wasn't enough truck... well hell it's not a truck so there's always that. Anyway, I checked out the 5th gen a few days ago and the 4th just yesterday and after looking at the LC/LX they really don't compare. I felt cramped. For the nominal yearly fuel charges the upgrade to the LC seems worthwhile in every way. So, I'm still looking.

@bigwavedave25 Do you think the prices will come down a bit after covid levels off?

Hey good luck right back to you.

Just a small update. I found a 4th and 5th gen 4runner in the area, the truck that initially made me realize that the outback just wasn't enough truck... well hell it's not a truck so there's always that. Anyway, I checked out the 5th gen a few days ago and the 4th just yesterday and after looking at the LC/LX they really don't compare. I felt cramped. For the nominal yearly fuel charges the upgrade to the LC seems worthwhile in every way. So, I'm still looking.

@bigwavedave25 Do you think the prices will come down a bit after covid levels off?
Honestly I have no idea. Really that statement was just wishful thinking on my part. I'm sure the seasoned members of this forum would have a much better understanding of how the LC100 prices have been over the last few years, and if a spike occurred this year with people getting more into overlanding/exploring on their own instead of taking a big family vacation.

Being a Honda guy, last year I started out wanting to convert an 2G MDX but the more I looked into things and test drove a few, I found out that the GX470 was the way to go for for a great midsized rig. IMO, that's where I would look over a 4R. So now I don't want anything but a Toyota when it comes to trucks 🤣. Wife thought the GX would be too small for the 4 of us, so she said to just go for the LC/LX. I absolutely loved that idea as it's always been kind of a dream vehicle for me anyway.

Prices for good rigs shouldn't decline since supply continues to dwindle.

It may be to the point that it is gas price irrelevant to boot.

I just got home last Friday from picking up my LX in SoCAL. Shes a 00 that ticked 250k on our return to KCK.
I replaced the tbelt and hoses before setting out. It was a great road trip. 50% Interstate 50% state roads.
I was eyeing an 02 locally that sold before I could look at it. I almost pulled the trigger on another 02 that was in Fort Worth but the dealer was too firm on price and wouldnt work with the shop Id arranged to do UCI.
I found this one while looking at comparables. For what ever reason kbb values the 00 2500 more than the 02.
It was on autotrader for a few hours. I got it for 7400 supposedly a wholesaler called after we did agreed on our over the phone deal and offered 9.
Stopped at my local N A P A and picked up a few seals, a cv and a few other goodies.
Last night I stopped at the tdealer to get some clips and ahc fluid. Planning my xmas vaca.
Good luck, they are out there...

I just got home last Friday from picking up my LX in SoCAL. Shes a 00 that ticked 250k on our return to KCK.
I replaced the tbelt and hoses before setting out. It was a great road trip. 50% Interstate 50% state roads.
I was eyeing an 02 locally that sold before I could look at it. I almost pulled the trigger on another 02 that was in Fort Worth but the dealer was too firm on price and wouldnt work with the shop Id arranged to do UCI.
I found this one while looking at comparables. For what ever reason kbb values the 00 2500 more than the 02.
It was on autotrader for a few hours. I got it for 7400 supposedly a wholesaler called after we did agreed on our over the phone deal and offered 9.
Stopped at my local N A P A and picked up a few seals, a cv and a few other goodies.
Last night I stopped at the tdealer to get some clips and ahc fluid. Planning my xmas vaca.
Good luck, they are out there...
Congratulations! I just missed an 03LC with 175k for 12.9k... The seller didn't list the milage on cargurus so when I was searching over the last few weeks it was always at the end of the results and I stopped looking in the mid 200k so I never even saw it. Damn... well one day I will find the one. Enjoy your truck. here's to decades of solid driving.

i've been drinking, admittedly, but this seems akin to asking your bro's in 7th grade if you'r gf is good looking or not......if she's the one, than she's the one, buddy
haha amen... and damn they're good looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom