I think I found my Cruiser. I'd love a nod of approval before going ahead. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made my first post last week and was blown away by the engagement and wealth of information thank you all for your insight. (04 vs 06)

Today I came across a 05 LX470 with 170k. The frame is slightly more rusty than the 04LC I had asked about in my prior post but it still looks ok. . The LX has full service records and always been worked on by Lexus. It must have been garage kept because it's much better than other LC's I've seen of similar years. The LX is about 5k less than the LC and it's one year newer. This makes it much more approachable for me at this time. Obviously there's no LC badge on the back but I could get along with the LX470 just fine and be cool to those who are privy to the secret that LX is LC.

I'm attaching the photos the dealer sent showing the frame and wold be grateful to know if it looks good and I should go ahead with the purchase.

As a side note while out driving today I passed a beautiful white LC100 and said to myself, damn that's a beautiful truck. I did a U turn to see it a bit more closely and no way it wasn't a LC100 it was an LX470 in same color as the one I'm looking at myself.

So I'm thinking if this truck is in good shape, I may have found my one.

Last edited:
These are what the dealer sent, he seemed nice enough but also like he wasn't the type of guy to crawl under a truck so until I go out there tomorrow this is all I have.

627940416.jpg

627940513.jpg

627940521.jpg

627940543.jpg

627940550.jpg

If the rust isn't too far gone I was planning on sanding down the surface, treating it with a rust convertor, and then using Krown.

More pics. Also, if you are DIY, pay special attention the nuts and bolts when it comes to rust.

Don't know how much you are getting this for but the rust does not look too bad especially if this is a nothern car.

Yes you will have issues with some bolts nuts but you will sign up for the task.

It's great to hear you all think this is an approachable level of rust. I only have the these photos the dealer sent, he sounded like an older gentleman so I'm happy with what I got but I will post more pictures tomorrow before finalizing the sale.

I want to learn how to work on my own truck but at moment I'm a complete beginner and I don't really know what I'm looking at. I want to learn. I like how @BnvS said it. " Yes you will have issues with some bolts nuts but you will sign up for the task."

I do sign up for the task.

His asking price is in the low teens but it's been on the market for a few months so maybe I could get it lower? At 170k the timing belt will need to be done for the second time soon. Would it be fair if I take the asking price to ask for the timing belt and any other recommended maintenance to be done?

Last edited:
Um, at 170k there will be a lot of bushings and other rubber bits that need to be replaced. This is where things get terrible, quickly, if most of the nuts and bolts look like they've never been touched and have rust.

Buy a 55 gal drum of PB Blaster and have one on standby. A tap and die set, along with good bolt extraction tools, are almost a must. In your budget analysis to do a baseline, don't forget to include the cost of tools. That stuff doesn't creep up on you, it can run circles around you before you ever actually fix anything on your rig.

Better yet, post your location and maybe a local Hundy guru can join you for pizza and beer in exchange for priceless wisdom and a well-trained set of eyes and ears.

Um, at 170k there will be a lot of bushings and other rubber bits that need to be replaced. This is where things get terrible, quickly, if most of the nuts and bolts look like they've never been touched and have rust.

Buy a 55 gal drum of PB Blaster and have one on standby. A tap and die set, along with good bolt extraction tools, are almost a must. In your budget analysis to do a baseline, don't forget to include the cost of tools. That stuff doesn't creep up on you, it can run circles around you before you ever actually fix anything on your rig.

I know 170k is high, but all the trucks in my price range are in this ball park.

I'd be going from a 2014 Subaru Outback with 70k. Is this a crazy idea? I've lived around the world. Spent almost two years living in the Himalaya spending summers and winters on the Tibetan Plateau. The Outback doesn't stir that deep part of my soul that wants to know the world. I know it's just a truck, just a thing, but I want a truck that I can drive to Alaska or the Arctic Circle, that I could take into Mexico seeing friends. I want something that calls me forward into the world and reminds that piece that it's there and supported in following those dusty and unworn paths.

Last edited:
Better yet, post your location and maybe a local Hundy guru can join you for pizza and beer in exchange for priceless wisdom and a well-trained set of eyes and ears.
Yeah, that would be great. I'm in New England
Hell yeah, endless beer and pizza for some input. I'm in Connecticut/New England.

Ok maybe someone local to you could help out.

170k miles is probably fine. Lots of 100s change hands with similar miles.

If you can't find someone local, you can always look in your local clubhouse section and search for a recommended shop to do a thorough PPI. Leverage is good in price negotiations, when leverage is backed up by hard facts.

1- You need new tires right off the bat. 2- those pictures aren't showing much at all, it's not where rust usually starts to form first. Look at rear cross member. 3- you're buying a 170k vehicle, budget a couple thousand to get it into spec. 170k is right when everything on the 100 needs to get some attention.

Just because it's work on by Lexus doesn't mean a lot of parts at end of useful life.

1- You need new tires right off the bat. 2- those pictures aren't showing much at all, it's not where rust usually starts to form first. Look at rear cross member. 3- you're buying a 170k vehicle, budget a couple thousand to get it into spec. 170k is right when everything on the 100 needs to get some attention.

Just because it's work on by Lexus doesn't mean a lot of parts at end of useful life.

Yeah, thank you. I'll upload better photos tomorrow around noon, hopefully some on here can give me a better idea of what I'm looking at.

The truck is located in the Bronx if anyone in New York wants to grab a beer and give some input.

With it being substantially more affordable than the LC brother that frees up money to get it back in top shape. I'd just like to know that if I do put in the time and money bringing it back to shape and assuming the frame is still solid that this truck could last for years to come and be a gateway to the Land Cruiser.

Yeah, that would be great. I'm in New England

Hell yeah, endless beer and pizza for some input. I'm in Connecticut/New England.
I second this. We just bought a 06 LX with 203k on it. I had similar concerns about buying something over 200k, but this forum certainly put those concerns in the gutter. 170k is not that high mileage yet and you might be laughed out of the forum by some of the 300-400k guys on here!! I started doing some small things and spent an afternoon with @2001LC in Denver and did a few more small things after that session. I should have brought pizza and beer...

Y'all I'm seriously hoping this truck turns out to be solid. I would love to drive one of these. Having trouble sleeping, almost like it's christmas tomorrow to drive out at see it.

I would spend some considerable time with a flashlight looking underneath. It is not rare for rust to be covered up. Not saying this one has been, but any rig with some time up north, is justified for further looking at the undercarriage.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you! I remember that feeling of anticipation as if it were yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom