I think I am going to be sick! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The thought of taking it to a body shop for major restructuring at the 11 th hour make me want to vomit. The previous guy used bondo on the tub. That will all be trashed. The tub was once mashed in the driver's side rear..

Any ideas on how to pull the sides in without trashing the paint? Could the thick SOR rubber rubber between the tub and top be causing this?? Was the OEM rubber this thick? I do not remember it being there at all.

Thoughts???

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0591.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

You might get a bit of improvement by shuffling and squaring up the hardtop panels, it *may* not be the tub. Looks like they're both leaning a bit to the drivers side...pushing the top to the right would close up a bit of that big gap in the lower right, and loosen up the tight gap in the lower left.

I used a 4' scrap chunk of alu' angle to square mine up (running up the jambs along both the tub and hardtop on both sides)...a longer level would work as well. Only tighten things down on the sides and header bar once that's looking ok.

EDIT: and you may want to put some liquid soap on the rubber seal between the tub and if you didn't. That can also skew things in getting the top to "settle in".

Last edited:
I agree with ZTD. I also think there’s enough tub flex to improve that. Loosen it all up and retighten after pulling in tub sides and squaring with a ratchet and hooks.

fit panels before paint
They did. I am thinking the thick rubber that goes over the tub lip is interfering.

I do not remember that being on the original as made. Am I forgetting it?

The sidewalls of the tube are square to the bottom of the tube.

was rear sill or quarter panel worked on or replaced during the build? How do barn doors look across the bottom? If you put a framing square on the top of rear sill and two sides are they both 90?

I agree with ZTD. I also think there’s enough tub flex to improve that. Loosen it all up and retighten after pulling in tub sides and squaring with a ratchet and hooks.
I also wouldn’t tighten any of it up until you get the gutter/fiberglass cap on. When I did my 71, I very loosely put in every bolt and screw. I started with the front visor to windshield frame and went back I think i I had 1 bolt in each hardtop side to tub at the very back.

The rubber piece that goes over the tub lip is pushing the top sides outward. The bolt holes just barely line up. I am very inclined to trim the foam. With the rubber removed I gain about 1/4" per side. That will do it. Also some hinge fussing and the usual stuff.

Did Toyota use the big cushy rubber that went over the tub lip and down the side?? I do not remember one, it was 45 years ago so I do not trust my memory.

What is the gap supposed to be around the lift gate? Less than 1/4" I assume.

The crossmember that attaches to the sides at the top appears to be a little to wide. That can not be because it worked before I took it apart. Weird.

If you put a framing square on the top of rear sill and two sides are they both 90? More or less. IT was damaged, it is not perfect. It is very close.

Picture one below, should the top be lined up with the tub or a little inward?

Picture two, cut off the part in the yellow box?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Scot

DSCN0596.JPG

DSCN0595.JPG

Those should be even/aligned as they run upward...that's where I threw a long straightedge on.

Re: trimming...I can't quite tell on your photo, but I did give mine a nibble with some sharp kitchen scissors where it ran around the back as it was too snug on mine:
YT Vid : Trimmed area 8:00

I'm curious what the tail gate looks like from the inside. If it squares up, it's not the tub. To me, the hard top sides seem skewed. Measure diagonals from the tops of each hard top side to the opposite floor. My guess is that the driver's side diagonal will be longer. Also, did you use short screws to install the striker plate for the front doors? If they are too long, the can push on the front lower post on the hard top sides and screw up the alignment. Ask me how I know about that one.

The rubber piece that goes over the tub lip is pushing the top sides outward. The bolt holes just barely line up. I am very inclined to trim the foam. With the rubber removed I gain about 1/4" per side. That will do it. Also some hinge fussing and the usual stuff.

Did Toyota use the big cushy rubber that went over the tub lip and down the side?? I do not remember one, it was 45 years ago so I do not trust my memory.

What is the gap supposed to be around the lift gate? Less than 1/4" I assume.

The crossmember that attaches to the sides at the top appears to be a little to wide. That can not be because it worked before I took it apart. Weird.

If you put a framing square on the top of rear sill and two sides are they both 90? More or less. IT was damaged, it is not perfect. It is very close.

Picture two, cut off the part in the yellow box?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Scot

View attachment 3305678

View attachment 3305679

I have never seen the top gasket go over the lip of the tub, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I know I was the first person to pull the top off my 72. The gasket I found was identical to the one on my 75, in which the top has been removed many times b4 I bought it.

20230423_230654.jpg

That was like the gasket on my '76, so that might be the OEM setup. I did the "over the lip" gasket during the restoration...did need dish soap to slide down.

Perhaps that is a later model year change/improvement, similar to the rubber outer window gasket vs felt/whiskers on the front doors?

I have never seen the top gasket go over the lip of the tub, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I know I was the first person to pull the top off my 72. The gasket I found was identical to the one on my 75, in which the top has been removed many times b4 I bought it.

View attachment 3305936
Yes, earlier models looked like this while later ones had an updated rubber that goes over the tub lip. But not the foam type stuff pictured by the OP, which I would trim or pull tighter in as stated above.

Ding-Ding-Ding we have a winner. SOR sold me rubber that was not for my '70. I just got off the phone with them. Not even an "I'm sorry" for selling me expensive crap that I did not need and did not fit my vehicle.

Forget about the cushy foam piece? Put some PVC tape on the rim of the tube to prevent assembly scratches and move on?

I do have a new flat piece of harder rubber installed on the horizontal part of the tube, like Toyota made it.

There was a wedge of rubber at the junction of the tub, top and lift gate bottom edge. The old one is toast. Is it important. It was like in the attached picture but a separate piece.

I am not happy with SOR right now. I figured paying premium prices would buy me expertise, and quality parts. Who else is a good bet on the wedge indicated below, and other 1970 FJ40 parts.

wedge.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom