I still want to want to cut the roof of my short bed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I still want to cut the roof off my short bed.

I know I'm gonna' take a bunch of crap for this.... but I am more and more convinced that I want the "open air" experience of a removable top cab on my short bed 45 project. It's a 64 fixed top now. If I can find someone who wants this cab and wants to trade one in similar condition- that's what I'll do.... otherwise, this one will become a removable top. Huge problem, however, is that this cab is located in Indiana.... shipping might be the obstacle to any trades. Any suggestions out there?

My legs are fairly long, and this would be mostly a summer vehicle anyway- I think I need a removable top truck.

Alright, flame on....

Last edited:
Put this 45 aside to do as a resto at some future date and get a 40 to take the top off of, if you've got the money to splash out that is. If not, sell it to someone who will keep it intact and then buy a 40. You have a sacred duty to preserve this piece of Land Cruiser heritage that you have been entrusted with. Think of the children, dammit! :crybaby:

Besides, I don't think cutting the top will give you any extra leg room.

We need to talk! I need the cap fer sure.. and can help fund your project if you want. The biggest thing I saw when looking into the same exact project is the rear tub..
It's slightly different as you can see in the measuerments by steve from extreme bends and Texican. Aqualu sells just about everything you'd ever need for that project. If your really serious I'm heading to Kentucky tomorrow with the tow rig. But your probably looking for ideas now..

My suggestion? It's your truck, do what you want with it to make it comfortable for you.. I'd personally do the aqualu rear bed and halfcab then get an Ehsan soft top like Chef has and call it done.. I've been teetering on the fence myself on doing the exact same thing!
Lemme help ya out here
Soft top for FJ45 Approx $500
Front half of FJ45 alum
http://www.aqualu.com/FJ 45 Cab.html $1000
Rear bed new alum
http://www.aqualu.com/FJ 45 Short Box.html $1500

Not having to do any bodywork on your 45, Priceless!

My phone# is in the front of the trails if you are geetting closer to selling parts to fund.. TLCA Secretary.. Or ping me here..

also, there are vendors that have used stuff available I know Marks off road had a 45 removable top roof panel at one time or SOR has fiberglass if you needed a hardtop.. But why?

Anyway, it's your truck make it fun to drive! I"m on the fence right now on the same exact thing but money is the problem right now. And I can always do that later!
Best of luck in your decision.. Erik

Actually I think it'll give you about 4"
OF LEG ROOM EVERYONE!
Mark would be able to answer that question probably..
And it'll feel bigger, the fixed tops are kinda like sardine cans! Altho Mudrak put in a cool Rover slideing sunroof in his which was awesome..

I have a cab,It will fit in a back of a full size pick-up.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Actually I think it'll give you about 4"
OF LEG ROOM EVERYONE!

Really? Don't you still have the back of the cab to keep the seat from moving back?

1FE pig said:

can you post some pictures... and are you looking to trade or to sell your cab. I have the roof panel stripped and the rust is below the doors/ rear cab corners like always. The floor around the transmission tunnel is "modified" to clear a different drivetrain already, so its not like I'm hacking up a pristine model... even I couldn't stomach that sacrilege. And I'm sacreligious :)

Also, just to bring you guys up to speed- and yes I do need to do a project thread... this thing was found behind a factory in Goshen, IN. its a 64 short bed, fixed top 45. The bed was hand fabricated (in the late 70s) to attempt to duplicate the original bed that was trashed. The cab was mostly intact, except for rusting out at the usual places.... ie. beneath the doors and at the lower cab corners, top of the fenders. It had the original F, 3 speed on the tree, no lift, etc. when I got it.

I have completely disassembled it since then. The roof panel is stripped in preparation for repainting. The fenders went to some guy in CA. The drivetrain is underneath the workbench.

I bobbed the bed by 14" because I didn't like the amount of rear overhang. I bobbed the frame to match. I'm nearly finished with a 383 small block Chevy, internal balance with 6" rods, roller cam, to go in it. I have the SM465, NP203 reduction box and NP205 for the rest of the powertrain. I have a centered rear diff housing from Profitts Cruisers to match the output on the 205. Front axle has Longfields and will soon have 6 stud knuckles from Marlin (when they come out). ARBs front and rear, 4.56:1 gears. Scout steering box. Spring over and shackle reversal. Front axle is cut but not turned. Longs beadlock kits in box under work bench, to be assembled later in project. Likely going with 38.5" Swamper SXs. Roll cage similar to MetalTechs profile cage, with kickers that would go down to the rear fender wells in the bed. (And yes, that complicates roof options). Maybe a custom made softtop. MetalTech tube fenders. MetalTech nose guard/ stinger.

My goal is to have something that no- one else has. A streetable and crawlable 45- except with 450 horsepower. ;)

Things left to decide.... to chop the top or not. I think I could make it into a removable top using a reproduction rear cab panel and the fasteners to hold it down, if I ever wanted to. (haven't figured out the roll cage, yet.)

So...........maybe posting my plans in the 45 owners group area marks me for great ridicule, since there's very little about the truck that will remain at Toyota built it.... but if there is someone that wants this cab for their project and they are either willing to pay me enough to purchase something else or trade me a removable top cab in similar condition, I won't cut the top off....

Anyway, that's my plan, however halfbaked it might be.

Later, Luke

Not halfbaked, Many wheeler rigs out there.. Look at the Newt or Medusa's rig! Awesome and 45"s..

Hard part is the new back panel and roof cap to fit said panel are gonna be about $1200 and they're shorter. That's why I'd do the soft-top from Ehsan. Get a roof later!

I have a cap that would be closer compound curve on it if you do go that route! I'll pay some and give you the cap I have.
The compound curve on the back corner of a removable top and non-removable top are a bit different. I have a cap from what is close to a non-removable top but has the curve of a removable top. Just might be what your needing!

I'm not sure I followed all that about compound curves and all... I might try to call you later, if that's alright. I have all my issues of Trails in a binder to keep those gems safe. Later, Luke

Medusa said:
Ohhh, my extended cab, removable top LWB is going to be sooooo comfy :D

Here's a post from the owner of the inspiration for my truck... If mine turns out half as nice as Medusa's- I'll be pleased.

I didn't want to say I was copying off of Jack, but mostly, I'm copying off of Jack. :))

Wow.. I just read what I typed.. No wonder you got confused!

Ok..
Removable top
The width at the widest point is narrower and the curve is more like 5" CLR (center line radius) to bend the 100 degrees
Fixed top
The width at the widest point is about 4"+ wider than a removable top at the widest point and the curve is more like 3.5" CLR to bend the same 100degrees.

That make more sense?
And I'll be in the truck all day tomorrow (# in the trails)
Chef (TLCA PRES) and I are heading out to go wheelin and tomorrow is drive time so call anytime! I"m always open to talking trucks!

Maybe Jack has a roof panel from the Truggy lying round?

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Wow.. I just read what I typed.. No wonder you got confused!

Ok..
Removable top
The width at the widest point is narrower and the curve is more like 5" CLR (center line radius) to bend the 100 degrees
Fixed top
The width at the widest point is about 4"+ wider than a removable top at the widest point and the curve is more like 3.5" CLR to bend the same 100degrees.

That make more sense?
And I'll be in the truck all day tomorrow (# in the trails)
Chef (TLCA PRES) and I are heading out to go wheelin and tomorrow is drive time so call anytime! I"m always open to talking trucks!

Maybe Jack has a roof panel from the Truggy lying round?

OK- so if I follow you- the cab back panels are not interchangeable, nor are the roof panels. But if I would proceed down this road- I could, conceivably, make a flange and bolt the not-yet-cut-off piece back on, along with the roof, with some of those clampy deals the removable top guys have- just as long as I don't try to mix and match on the same truck.

So, if I have this right I can

1. Chop the top on my truck and save the parts for possible reassembly later on.

2. Trade my cab for a removable top cab and save the chopping.

Correct?

Luke

1. Yes but what's your time worth. And you mention you wanted another 4". (Who doesn't)
worth of cab room?
If you cut the cab, you'll be having to fab a mount for the top and bottom. not gain length in the cab etc.. Might even lose a bit of cab room making the lip for the 2 tops to mate.

2. That's be my vote.. Parts are available, get a soft top and be done.
Save your fab time for family stuff, have a happy wife and a cool truck, buy a hard top part later if you decide you'd ever need one.

Sell'/Trade some of your cab to help offset the new half cab. See this is the selfish part where I try to influence you so I might gain the one part I've been searching for.

You know what the hotrodders say, Luke? Anyone can restore a truck; it takes a real man to cut one up! :D

Good luck with your project. Looked good when I saw it last...

Nick Jennings

Luke, IIRC, we started this discussion last year on Pirate, when you were toying with rollbars and cages that would have to come thru the back of the cab. This was you, right?

Based on what you've already collected for the project as well as your intended plans, I would just cut your cab and sell Erik the roof. You didn't see Medusa whining about no top on Rubithon, did ya. If you're gonna build a trail truck [which yours very much sounds like] then get a soft top made when you can't handle the weather any more and call it good.

Then you won't have any compromises on your cage either. ;)

65swb45 said:
Luke, IIRC, we started this discussion last year on Pirate, when you were toying with rollbars and cages that would have to come thru the back of the cab. This was you, right?

Based on what you've already collected for the project as well as your intended plans, I would just cut your cab and sell Erik the roof. You didn't see Medusa whining about no top on Rubithon, did ya. If you're gonna build a trail truck [which yours very much sounds like] then get a soft top made when you can't handle the weather any more and call it good.

Then you won't have any compromises on your cage either. ;)

Your memory is correct sir. I'm going to call Erik this morning. Thanks, Luke

1FE pig said:
it'll fit in the back of just about any pickup :D if you go see jeremiah, he now has this blue cab...it just needs a little work :D

fwiw, i'd save the fixed cab and modify a 40, make it a tad longer, if you get 77 and up, make the back of the cab from the kickout window back. extended cabs are nice :D
45multicolor.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom