I Should Have Bought A 5 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
This is from a current Ebay ad. ......
Beautiful 1986 BJ74 turbo diesel direct injection. Japanese Domestic Market. This 70 series land cruiser is renowned around the world for its toughness and reliability. This in one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. 3.4L direct injection turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual transmission that gets 30-35 MPG. (PTO) power take off of the transfer case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm averaging 19-20 mpg with my auto gear box while this gentleman is averaging 30-35. :bang:

Last edited:
Yeah, downhill with a tailwind. It sounds about right in Kilometers per gallon.

It can be done. Honestly:

-Don't drive faster than 80KPH. Only bring the most patient passengers.

-Take it easy on acceleration. In fact try and avoid cities all together so you won't have to deal with stop signs.

-Avoid hills unless they're going down in which case go into neutral

-And then the rub, gotta have manual 5 speed

I know it's a stretch at best to get 30mpg with a 13BT but I used to be able to get to 700-800km before fill up on my 1HZ. I now get 500-600 after the mods I've done depending on driving conditions.

The very best I have been able to manage was a shade over 24 mpg. That was running ~55 mph. At 65-70 mine gets a consistant 19.5 mpg. That is a 5 speed, stock gears and 33 inch tires.

...and we have to compare US gallons versus UK gallons.

Short story:

Had a mate with a gravity fed aux fuel tank. On his first long trip he was rubbing it in how well his mpg (V8 GM petrol retrofit) was compared to my gutless diesel... Weeks later he mentioned that his aux fuel tank was empty (when he went to fill) and that his mpg may not have been as good as he originally thought... Of course when folk would asked him what kind of mpg he was getting out of his massive guzzler he would always quote the original number prior to realising the aux tank had also been drained. Moral of the story - I never believe other folks' wild mpg claims.

cheers,
george.

City driving with partial ac usage I just got 19.9. Best I've seen is 21. I average around 18-19.5 depending on how much road rage I get. The turbo 3b will somewhat move when I need it to. 5 speed.
With the average speed in Florida being in the 35 mph range, I would have thought that your fuel economy would have been better. :)

That's still 70%+ better than my 2f with h42, 3.7s, and 33s :eek:

I once drove 80km/h for a test.
It's totally achieve able to do 9L/100km over long distances. Though while keeping your sanity as well as your passenger(s) may be a challenge.

When I drove WFO to Moab and back I think I got about 17MPG. The two FJ Cruisers I was with got about 18 and my mileage was worse. Off road however, my mileage was much better.

When I drove WFO to Moab and back I think I got about 17MPG. The two FJ Cruisers I was with got about 18 and my mileage was worse. Off road however, my mileage was much better.
What speed / RPM?
I assume you're running a 13B-T?

You better be careful Charles. Florida has a very strong gravitational pull to people your age......next thing you know you'll be in our little world and God's waiting room.

Yup, and it shouldn't take long to learn the only time you floor it is when the light turns yellow.

You better be careful Charles. Florida has a very strong gravitational pull to people your age......next thing you know you'll be in our little world and God's waiting room.

:lol:
I've gained weight as I've aged so the gravitational pull that you speak of will have its work cut out for it.

Last edited:
I got 25 mpgs in my hj61 with the auto and 33's.
I now get 28 mpgs in my BJ70 non turbo with a 5 speed. I have since mounted a roof top tent and that killed it down to 24 mpgs.

I did just put 285's after selling the 265's on there and we'll see how I do now. Cruising rpms are a ton better! Hopefully increase in MPGS!

Curious to see as well. My old hj61 five speed delivered amazing fuel mileage. In the 25-30 mpg range. Most HJ61 never get this but a few did and mine seemed to be one of them. No roof rack. Mild lift and 31x10.5 all terrains

Currently before on bagged out springs on my HZJ77 and small 30" or 31" tires that were more road oriented with a roof rack I could get 750km for 80L of fuel. Sometimes closer to 800km if I pushed it. Now after a 3" lift, more gear, 255/85/R16 Toyo M/T along with a RTT I see 500-600km for 70-80L of fuel. This is before correction as well mind you

Another factor I'll add is now that I have more aggressive tires and clearance I am driving it in 4x4 a lot more and have gone through tanks this summer where 90% of the fuel burnt was in 4Lo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom