I screwed up with my windshield replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess I should have gone to Toyota to get my windshield replaced, but I used a local company that I've had good luck with until now and ended up with a mess. My chrome welting is gone and they didn't put any welting on the gasket. I've been reading other posts that mention that the windshield will leak if I don't have any welting in it. Do you think there is a chance I might not leak without it?

If it does leak, is it possible that it might leak in an area that isn't noticeable? Do you think a leak would increase my risk of having rust issues?

I'm hoping to get by with the way it is for the next two years since I won't have much money while I'm going back to school starting in July. I plan to dump a bunch of money into my Cruiser after that.

As far as I know, you need the welting. If you don't mind black, there's a welting that was originally OEM for Chevy pickups (and probably others).

One of the better threads (that has the part number for the above): Public Service Announcement; De-Chroming Windows . I managed to get a 100' roll of it from a local window shop, and with a little spray silicone, it goes in pretty easy. It tends to shrink up a little (on mine, anyway), so when you cut it, leave enough room that you have to stuff the ends in.

I think it was only about $50 for the whole roll.

I had my 62 newindshield replaced a few years ago. non toyota windshield and gasket, no welting at all, and no leaks.

I'm not surprised that they didn't put the chrome strips back in. I was unable to get those strips off of mine without destroying them. The strips are very thin. In my opinion, the rubber lock strips look better and only cost $10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Yeah I guess it's pretty easy to destroy that chrome trim. I actually do like the look of the chrome though. The gasket that they put in was a non Toyota gasket and I'm not sure I could put welting in it. Sounds like there is a chance it won't leak though. Maybe I got the same setup as 3 puppies got. I will say that I'm happy my headliner didn't get messed up. It seems like that's a common side effect of getting the window replaced from what I've read.

Last edited:
If there is no channel in the rubber seal, then it doesn't need a lock strip. You'll want to be aware of any potential leaks though. The aftermarket rubber seals are known to not seal as good as OEM.

The glass shop said if I bring them an oem gasket they'll replace it. I'm not sure I trust them to do it or not though.

I use dish soap rather than Silicone.
Dish soap is washed away with water.
The locking /sealing strip / welting can be found in a few sizes , and chrome or black from Glass supply houses. It's found in the rubber seal gasket book / catalogues .. It's the 90* bends that the chrome ones go kinky on.

Ive read it way back when i was helping a shop..

VT

I use dish soap rather than Silicone.
Dish soap is washed away with water.
The locking /sealing strip / welting can be found in a few sizes , and chrome or black from Glass supply houses. It's found in the rubber seal gasket book / catalogues .. It's the 90* bends that the chrome ones go kinky on.

Ive read it way back when i was helping a shop..

VT

I went to the Toyota parts place and they said I could still get the oem gasket but no luck on the chrome welting anymore. Sounds like the aftermarket chrome might not be so easy to put in on the corners. Is it worth a shot or should I just plan on having to dechrome? If I do dechrome i'm going to change the color of my 60 to blue instead of tan. I think the blue looks good dechromed but the tan looks good with chrome.

I haven't been doing glass for over 8 years.
I have seen the item as being in chrome and black.. Here you could make the bottom one piece and the sides and over the top another length.

I don't have the books anymore. I was looking for a NAG # ..

Best i can Do
VT

The glass shop said if I bring them an oem gasket they'll replace it. I'm not sure I trust them to do it or not though.

That's great news. You can buy an aftermarket gasket that eliminates the expansion welting. In fact the installer may be able to order it and save themselves a few bucks.

Have them check their suppliers. I paid $80 for one from SOR.

Rick

I thought the best way to install the windshield was to use OEM windshield gasket?

I'm probally going to need to get this done soon too, as I think whomever installed the windshield last time did a piss-poor job (before I owned the thing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom