I recently scored a 2012 Nissan Patrol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yeah I know it is not a Toyota. But......

I scored an awesome deal on a 2012 Nissan Patrol. Last of the totally mechanical turbo diesels. It has 60,000 miles. Front PTO winch and rear electric winch. Both rated at 12,000 lbs.
It has navigation equipment, 35's, and a heater for sleeping inside.
I am currently keeping it where I bought it in The Haig, Netherlands.

I may just keep it licensed in another country unless I figure a way around the red tape here or may just keep it overseas.

Any advice on bringing it in country would be appreciated. It is an awesome rig and I got it for a really cheap price. So I'll be keeping here or abroad either way.

cheers,
Jim

The only way to permanently import would be to get it complianced to 2012 DOT & EPA regs. But if you can afford to ship it back & forth, you could import it for almost a year at a time, on it's foreign registration & title. You just have to ship it back out & then back in approx. once a year.

Ahh...yes I thought so. I picked it up to use for multi continent overlanding. Go across Russia and down through Mongolia. Then ship it to Africa....that sort of thing. Nice to have a vehicle that will keep running even with no battery or cross deep rivers. :))
So that is the main reason I grabbed it. I can keep it in the Netherlands when I want.....or ship it somewhere else when the times comes.

Why would the 25 year old rule not apply to this case?
I just don't see how you can (easily and inexpensively, without a crash test and many mods to comply with EPA and DOT rules) register this vehicle in any state.

Why would the 25 year old rule not apply to this case?
I just don't see how you can (easily and inexpensively, without a crash test and many mods to comply with EPA and DOT rules) register this vehicle in any state.

You can't. You keep it licensed somewhere else....like in my case the Netherlands. My girlfriend is a resident there. So we'll keep it licensed and in her name. I bought this one to ship in a container to different continents and use it like that.
You could bring it in the US for a while.....as in any country.

another thing I could do is establish dual residency in Mexico by just slipping the right people a few bucks. Then keep it licensed there
and occasionally take it out of the US which I will be doing anyway.:)
So there are a few ways around all the red tape we have here.

Yes you'd need dual citizenship or a foreign citizen to bring it into the US on a 1 year temporary import.

Damn, what a pain. Sweet sounding rig though, post up some pics

Yes you'd need dual citizenship or a foreign citizen to bring it into the US on a 1 year temporary import.

Yes...I have no reason to bring it in the US anyway. I prefer my 200 here and in Mexico and South America. I bought it to use on other continents. Russia , Eurasia, Africa. I prefer having the diesel there.

My girlfriend is a resident of the Netherlands so we will keep it there some.
I have dual residency status / US & Costa Rica. But never was able to find a rig as clean and well kept as this in South or central America.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom