I quit--need a reputable LC repair shop in Tucson area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B

boo

:mad:

Well, the title says it all. First the steering problems and now I have no oil pressure. I swear I should just drive this thing off a cliff!! Inner seals, wheel bearings, steering problems, steering boot, starter, air conditioning, oil leaks, cracking leather! And now my oil pump is on the blink! ~80kMi!!!! I would have had better luck w/ a Tahoe! Does anyone know of a repair shop in the Tucson area that knows Land Cruisers?

Thanks--I need to keep this albatross flying.

Boo

Boo,
A bad oil pump would be very rare and if you have no oil pressure you've got big problems.

Why do you think you have no oil pressure? I have a friend that is from Tucson and he might know some shops down there.

-B-

Beowulf,

The oil pressure gage doesn't move once I start the car like it used to. I did start it once today, it moved to where it normally rests at idle, I then tried to turn my steering wheel (that is another issue) and it returned to no pressure. Ugh.

Boo

Did you check and make sure the wire or ground didn't just fall off the oil pressure sender? It seems unlikely that you would have no oil pressure unless a disaster has already occurred. Oil pumps live in a bath of fresh oil and so rarely go bad-especially in an 80k cruiser. I hope you arn't a victim of odometer fraud-80k is too early for the leather to go-mine looks like new at roughtly the same mileage. Same with the power steering. Why don't you pull the oil pressure sender, install a mechanical oil pressure guage and make sure you don't really have good oil pressure. I'll bet you do. The senders are known to go bad and easy to replace. If you don't have good oil pressure-get out your checkbook.

Anyway to tell if there has been odometer fraud?

Yep, 1st check the wire that clips on to the sender, bet it just came off or got torn, mine did this........about craped my pants when I saw no oil presure, realized I still had presure, drove home and found the wire and just busted(from age/heat/my fat arms reaching down there one too many times, a normal spade terminal slides right on the sender, no you don't need anything exotic. If cuting the wire or crimping a new end on make sure the key is off, on old cruisers you can short out the dash gauge pretty easily if the wire is live when you cut it............not that I know ;)

John H

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=9625;start=msg84494#msg84494 date=1073255855]
Did you check and make sure the wire or ground didn't just fall off the oil pressure sender? It seems unlikely that you would have no oil pressure unless a disaster has already occurred. Oil pumps live in a bath of fresh oil and so rarely go bad-especially in an 80k cruiser. I hope you arn't a victim of odometer fraud-80k is too early for the leather to go-mine looks like new at roughtly the same mileage. Same with the power steering. Why don't you pull the oil pressure sender, install a mechanical oil pressure guage and make sure you don't really have good oil pressure. I'll bet you do. The senders are known to go bad and easy to replace. If you don't have good oil pressure-get out your checkbook.
[/quote]

Landpimp, how did you know you still had pressure?

Your motor would make a rattling or knocking noise especially after it sat awhile. You seem to be having problems that a Toy with 180K could have. Did you run it through Carfax? And don't even joke about a Tahoe being more reliable :eek: Hope all turns out good for you.

Bill's toy shop is closed (former at Ft Lowell and 1st), but Bill is working out of his house near Freeman and Broadway (1 mile from BLM office at east very end). PM me and I will try to get a home phone.

He has 3,500 Toyota clients in Tucson, just did not want the headache or commute of the shop anymore.

He is not cheap, but dead on service.

I will give you a crisp new US $20 to take that trouble off your hands :cheers: ;)

You might have some big issues. The power steering pump is driver of the crank, so is the oil pump. If you have no oil pressure and no steering you need to have it checked. Do not run the motor like that, you might damage the motor itself.

[quote author=boo link=board=2;threadid=9625;start=msg84686#msg84686 date=1073278306]
Landpimp, how did you know you still had pressure?
[/quote]

cuase it was still running fine, making no wierd noises and not overheating, it was a 3fe so I knew it wouldn't die.......and it told me so.........yeah it's those voices in my head again..... :D

Christo is RIGHT ON.

The oil pump and PS pump are driven by the crank. The crank drives the oil pump which drives the PS pump. Remove the PS pump and "bump" the starter to see if the oil pump gear is turning.

Suppose for argument that the PS pump locked up. It would shear the teeth of one or more of the gears. If the oil pump gear is not turning the front of the engine needs to come apart. Just like what I just did.

D-

[quote author=rick_d link=board=2;threadid=9625;start=msg84720#msg84720 date=1073284512]
Bill's toy shop is closed (former at Ft Lowell and 1st), but Bill is working out of his house near Freeman and Broadway (1 mile from BLM office at east very end). PM me and I will try to get a home phone.

He has 3,500 Toyota clients in Tucson, just did not want the headache or commute of the shop anymore.

He is not cheap, but dead on service.
[/quote]

Sounds like the ticket to me. Have this guy check it out and go form there.

OK boo, we've waited long enough. What's the status?

-B-

Ahhh yes. Let me tell you that it has been a heck of a week. After I found out my 'cruiser was out, I found that my Maxima needed new CV joints, and later I found out that it needed new wheel bearings! So, I've spent the last week working on the Maxima (pressed wheel bearings are brutal w/o the right tools!--I finally gave up and went to the machine shop). But she's up and running again, and I have trasportation again. I still need to replace the struts, but that can wait, I hope.

On to the LC. I did some research and found that the oil problem could lie in the sending unit not working properly. I've found this not to be the case (I think) because the oil pressure gage responds the same way every time at startup: I get the usual delay before the engine gets oil, it rises to the 2nd mark, then it slowly returns to the bottom mark--it does this every time. If anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know. The engine doensn't seem to be ticking, the indicator for oil not getting to the valves, and it hasn't seized yet. But I am not taking any chances until I get a more firm idea of what is going on. I looked in the oil-fill hole tonight and it looks pretty dry in there, so I've got a bad feeling about the whole situation.

With the power steering, the power assistance has returned to zero--it followed the exact same pattern as with the previous (original) pump--assist with intermittent resistance through the turn to eventual no power assist within a few days.

Overall, I've never had both of my cars go out on me at the same time like this before--and I've had a 90 Protege w/ 175k and 89 Pontiac w/ 120k at the same time. What a deal, it must be something w/ the dryness in the desert, or I'm a little low on luck.

Anyway, if anyone has thought of anything else I'm all ears! Boo

Hey Rick,

I mean low as in super-imposed over the bottom line. What's strange, or more not-good, is the fact that it starts at about the second mark and slooooowly moves to the bottom line and then doesn't move regardless of rpms.

Boo

Running at the bottom line is normal. With a RPM increase I'd expect to see it climb. However Robbie has mentioned that he has done some comparison testing with brand new sending units and found them to be completely different in there responce to the same oil pressure.

So basically, you need to do a pressure check with a mechanical guage to ensure you have good pressure and determine what needs to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom