I put on P-rate 33s and my ride quality is SO much better (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You can have 33s and a nice ride. For those of you searching for a better ride with your 100 (particularly if you feel like the AHC is still a bit harsh) then go look at your tires. If they are E-rated, then that might be your problem. I have all new globes and fluid in my AHC and it functions perfectly, but I kept thinking the ride was a bit harsh over the smaller stuff and at lower speeds. I saw a few people mention the E-rated tires that are extremely common for 33s, and my rig came with them as well. I have no plans for extreme stuff, only gravel roads and the occasional creek crossing. Those E-rated tires were heavy and stiff, and I had NO idea how much better the ride could be by going back to P-metric. I bought the only 33s I could find from Discount Tire, the General Grabbers. They look good (you can see them in this photo), and they ride very well. My LX accelerates faster and soaks up the road much better than before. Broken pavement used to "crash" the suspension, and now it just thumps. I am very pleased with the ride, it is certainly Lexus-like now, and I wanted to share this with others who value ride quality over off-road durability. Just a data point! Also, for the record, I had the Michelin LTX AT2s on there and they were quiet, but still too rough for me. For anyone in the Georgia area, I can sell them to you for a good price!
LX-1.jpg

Very true, street tires make a world of difference in ride quality.

Nice, I assumed those General's would give the best ride quality possible. It's a shame there isn't more C load options in 18".

Is your AHC in top condition? It should ride very well even on the stock 31's.

My AHC is completely refreshed and operates perfectly. My rig came with E-rated 33s on it and I think the weight and stiffness just made the ride quality more harsh than what I wanted. These new General Grabbers solved that while still giving me an aggressive stance that fills the wheel wells.

Reactions: GTV
if street tires, why bother with 33s? leave stock size on if it were me.

Purely for looks. I like the stance and the way the 33s fill the wheel wells.
You lucky guys and your 5 speed transmissions. I wouldnt put bigger tires than needed on my 4 speed haha looks good.

Last edited:
I too like the look of bigger tires, small tires on our huge trucks look like it skipped leg days. I'll be moving to these once my KO2s wear out, which is probably never.

Yeah if you drive on paved roads and aren't worried about punctures or airing down it's definitely the way to go.

On the flipside I'm not convinced E rated tires are destroying ride quality. Yeah they have stiffer side walls and tred compounds but whatever. I've put e-rated on my highlander and other smaller suvs and it didn't change the ride quality at all, they're just noisy.

usually the lt tires are a 3 ply sidewall where as the p are only a 2 so you may be a little more susceptible to tearing or puncturing the side wall, just keep that in mind and make sure that you have a spare

You can have 33s and a nice ride. For those of you searching for a better ride with your 100 (particularly if you feel like the AHC is still a bit harsh) then go look at your tires. If they are E-rated, then that might be your problem. I have all new globes and fluid in my AHC and it functions perfectly, but I kept thinking the ride was a bit harsh over the smaller stuff and at lower speeds. I saw a few people mention the E-rated tires that are extremely common for 33s, and my rig came with them as well. I have no plans for extreme stuff, only gravel roads and the occasional creek crossing. Those E-rated tires were heavy and stiff, and I had NO idea how much better the ride could be by going back to P-metric. I bought the only 33s I could find from Discount Tire, the General Grabbers. They look good (you can see them in this photo), and they ride very well. My LX accelerates faster and soaks up the road much better than before. Broken pavement used to "crash" the suspension, and now it just thumps. I am very pleased with the ride, it is certainly Lexus-like now, and I wanted to share this with others who value ride quality over off-road durability. Just a data point! Also, for the record, I had the Michelin LTX AT2s on there and they were quiet, but still too rough for me. For anyone in the Georgia area, I can sell them to you for a good price!View attachment 2986386
That's a good-looking vehicle there.

Your post makes me realize I'm not sure I've ridden in a 100 without E rated tires with the exception of my old snow tires on my 99LC.

I'm sure an LX with AHC and soft tires makes for a buttery smooth ride.

Fow what it is worth, my E rated tires ride great, I do have Tough Dog adjustable rear shocks and ironman foam cell pros up front..... I might run at a lower psi than most for highway on 33s, ~38

Conclusion is if your not running additional weight and/or running your rig down trails chances are you don't need a heavy duty tire .

The E's definitely ride well IMO, but are stiff; I ran C rated Coopers on my Tundra for a few years and they were a better compromise for on road quality.

I do wish that more company's produced C rated off road tires; but their reputations would be more damaged by punctures and torn sidewalls than by some people saying the ride is too stiff or tires too heavy.

Mine are f rated and at 40 psi they ride very comfortably on ahc.

I had a similar experience with improved AHC ride quality on my LX as the OP when I went from same size BFG E rated to General Grabber 'Standard Load' rated 275/70/18. I really thought the globes were on their last leg when I was running the E rated. The Generals I picked up were reportedly take offs from a Nissan Titan. A very pleasant surprise to say the least.

Fow what it is worth, my E rated tires ride great, I do have Tough Dog adjustable rear shocks and ironman foam cell pros up front..... I might run at a lower psi than most for highway on 33s, ~38
What tires are you on? My set up is pretty much the same all across but very different experience with the Es.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom