I now own a rusty, high-mileage LC100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't look too bad. Like others have said, wire wheel it as much as you can and then spray rust converter on it. And then annually spray it with Cosmoline RP-342 or Fluid Film or sumsuch.

Pro tip: Once you have scrubbed and sprayed rust converter on the holes at the bottom of the body panels, seal the holes up with a strong tape like FlexSeal or Gorilla and then make a small hole and inject the inside cavity with with an expanding foam. That will seal it up against future intrusion and you won't have to chase the cold air coming inside your cabin from strange places. DO NOT DO THIS ON FRAME, ONLY THE BODY PANELS!

Ask me how much fun I had tracing down the cold air just barreling inside the cabin from the B-pillars where front seat belts go behind the plastic cladding!

I used a wire wheel on my rust then sprayed Rustoleum Rust Converter followed by Rustoleum semigloss black. Been satisfied with the results. My truck spent its whole life in central KY and had only surface rust.

FA7A72F3-15A5-43DF-A83D-BDE145C7B8AB.jpeg

4D310D6A-49FE-4D6D-8417-FD3A14193D9E.jpeg

35905DAF-044D-40AF-B0E5-23135C24ED7E.jpeg

how was the wire brushing? I’m assuming you can’t reach everywhere. What tools did you use? Undercarriage looks great!
Thanks! It wasn't a difficult task at all. I used a 4.5" angle grinder with wire wheel for the most part. I also used a wired welding brush. You're definitely correct that you can't get to every nook and cranny. Just got to do the best you can and not over think things. 👍

Thanks! It wasn't a difficult task at all. I used a 4.5" angle grinder with wire wheel for the most part. I also used a wired welding brush. You're definitely correct that you can't get to every nook and cranny. Just got to do the best you can and not over think things. 👍

Ah, angle grinder. Makes sense. I have an electric drill that I'm planning on using just because I have it but it seems the consensus is the angle grinder.

Yessir an angle grinder would be a lot more effective than a drill. A lot of people also really like a needle scaler if you have an air compressor.
Here's what my frame looked like when I took off the rear axle last year. A lot of steel cable wheel on grinder followed by RustOleum rust converter and then some rattle can paint made it look like the second pic.

20190820_233850.jpg

20190822_093945.jpg

This worked well for me with an angle grinder. Hit everything I could reach then used the paint on POR15 over everything. I also used fluid film on the inside of the frame and other areas. Worked rather well. I'll check it again come spring and tweak as needed.

We Oregonians have it so good. Most of us aren't even conditioned to look underneath a vehicle we are buying. That has caused a few people to get a nasty surprise! Hope you are able to hit 500K! Welcome.

Last edited:
Yessir an angle grinder would be a lot more effective than a drill. A lot of people also really like a needle scaler if you have an air compressor.
Here's what my frame looked like when I took off the rear axle last year. A lot of steel cable wheel on grinder followed by RustOleum rust converter and then some rattle can paint made it look like the second pic.

View attachment 2518083
View attachment 2518089
Yup, needle scaler is the way to go. Make sure you wear a good full face mask when you do any type of mechanical rust removal. Stuff gets dusty and chunks go flying everywhere. It's a nasty process but satisfying at the same time. It's easy to say " just fly down south and get a rust free one". Sometimes you just gotta work with what you already have. Your truck doesn't look bad at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom