I need tunes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a creative way to have tunes while not cutting the truck installing a sound system. Oh yeah, no radio spot on the dash.

'68 FJ40.

Any ideas/systems, speaker placment?

Thinking about using my tool box under the seat to house hardware and a remote for cd/radio functions. Perhaps some micro speakers stashed under dash?

sorry no pics, but here is what POs did to my truck:

amplifier and equalizer in toolbox (I wrapped each part and padded with insulating material liberally).

CD-Player/Stereo is mounted under the middle seat of the bench, wedged/shimmed with two pieces of what was intended as hard vinyl floor tiles, I think, in a typical rectangular radio/CB unit holder (under the seat with two sheet metal screws - not elegant but functional). This location is ideal, since the CD rarely skips even during wheeling, certainly better than in/underdash. CD/Radio connects to radio antenna on hood cowl passenger side.

PS: my tool box also holds the little box for a Cobra handheld unit CB radio (WT75 or similar number - BTW really happy with that; I can unplug the handheld part from the control unit in the toolbox and stuff it into the glovebox for hiding). CB is connected to separate antenna that mounts to passenger fender by magnet.

Locations for speakers: two smaller ones mounted on an overhead flat connection between the roll cage bars (got a full roll cage); two large speakers mounted in custom boxes on the rear wheel wells (if you had jump seats, it would be sort of behind those - I have a rear bench, so speakers are at the arm rests).

Routing of wires (I rewired the whole thing): driver side fusebox to a "radio on" switch in the dash, allows me to run CD player while parked and engine off (HAVE to remember to turn off, otherwise drains the battery dead; installed RED lighted pull switch to remind me). Switch to relay before power source (battery or secondary fuseblock in my case), and power source to relay to CD player. Speaker wires are running along the roll bars up to the front overhead speakers (hidden in roll bar padding), and to the rear speakers inside the tub along the floor up the wheelwells (under carpet in my case).

HTH

Last edited:
Buy a bracket of eBay to mount the radio in the glove box ... mount Bose speakers to the roll bar with ARB brackets. Do a search for "bose" and "landpimp" ... for more details -

I never really saw the point of a stereo in a 40 though ... nothing quite like a 2F growling in the wind :D

Tucker

I used a horn from an old guitar amp full stack (8 12's and the horn) and bolted it to the driver's seat bracket in b/w the two seats pointing downwards... you'd be amazed how good that thing sounded... best of all, no one wanted to steal it, and it was weather-proof!

I just run a regular CD player in the dash (it's a 75) with a disc changer under the D seat and the bose speakers in the back mounted to the roll bar. Can you get a Tuffy with a stereo slot?
4.1 (Medium).jpg

I did something very similar to what Hawk has.

Two waterproof Boston Acoustics speakers bolted to the rear of the rollbar.

Radio is in-dash.

The PO fabbed some brackets that mounted the speakers in the rear top corners of the hardtop above the glass. They were small say 5" speakers in a wedge shaped box. I don't have any pics, but the further from my ears the better for me. Mounted right behind me on the roll bar I wouldn't like. I have a 73 so the radio is in the dash.

overhead

I used a sheet of polycarbonate plastic 11' wide, ran it acroos the roll bar at the front, heat formed the outside edge to about 1/3 of the rollbar curve, drilled some holes for zip ties and tied the radio into the dome light power feed. The radio/CD sits just above the driver's right, easy to see and use the controls. The speakers are small 4" X 4" models from Radio Shack that are mounted in the front outside corners of the plastic. The clear plastic lets you see the sky when the tops are off (California!) and keeps that 'open feeling'.

i have a 76 so my cd player is in the dash but as stated before tuffy console with stereo compartment works great, i fabbed a cage up under the heep seat i put in the back and covered it with expanded metal so no one can get to it without alot of work. it houses 2 amps one for a sub and the other for mids/tweeters and 2 bose 161 speakers and power distribution block. the sub is under the drivers seat.
IMG_0404a1.JPG
seat pic.JPG
seat pic 2.JPG

ok heres an idea. this is what im gonna do. I bought a jeep pods that were stock on the newer ones that go in the corners so people can still grab the roll bar off road and put speakers in those. Put the cd player in a custom lock box made a few inches to the right of the heater box in place of that rubber connection and have a rubber connection that angles under the cd player . It will look sharp! Just gotta be creative. Im gonna put components over head and the tweeters in front corner top of rollcage. Or you can put it under steering wheel, or under ignition switch but if u have a rollcage it might be blocked or just do satelight radio.... just some suggestions if you don't want to cut into your dash.

well since i don't own a LC yet i can't say exactly but if your landcruiser has/had a radio just buy a good radio and a 10 cd changer that tunes to a certain frequency. Put the CD changer anywhere that it will fit(under front seats or back seat(s)) Your radio will pick the CD changer up usually on the first frequency on FM(88.3) or somthing like that maybe 89.3. I can't exactly say where to put the speakers.

They might make something similar to what they do for jeeps. The speaker holder that mounts to the rollcage.

If you do not wish to untilize the rear passenger area you could make your own speaker box and attach it to the roll cage. if you want to use the rear seating area you could fabricate your own boxes to fit under the back seat(s).

I have two 6x9s in the back seat of my PU and two 4s in the dash with out a amp and they are plenty loud(which i figure would be required in a louder vehicle like a LC)

Use your imagination when making the boxes and finding locations for the speakers. Its the little things that set your LC apart from everyone elses.

lunyou

trekker, in my 68fj40 I mounted the stereo in an overhead panel of the rollcage, and all four speakers are mounted to the cage too, so there is no tampering with the dash on that account.

I just mounted a tuffy overhead console the other day .I don't have a front hoop in my roll cage so Imade a custom adapter bracket which bolts using stock holes into the rear view mirror hanger and the sun visor holes .I retained the visors and mirror by using longer bolts and sandwiched the bracket between them. It is a 78 so it's a bit different than yours but it looks super clean and can be returned to stock at any time.

Last edited:
I like the idea of putting an amp under the dash and running your system with an mp3 player.

I have an amp located in the glove box that I hook my MP3 into. I have indoor/outdoor speakers mounted on the rollbar.

I bought a boat enclosed box for a stereo and mounted it to the top front of my roll bar / installed a blue tooth radio in it so no wires from the iPhone works great hard to for others to hear you talk on the phone going down the road though with the road noise

I have a Sony head unit mounted in a Tuffy center console. It has a rear AUX port that I hooked to a jack so I can plug in my iPod/iPhone/IPad/other. I also hooked up a rotary switch so my CB, Uniden 520XL mounted in main compartment of Tuffy console, can also feed through the Sony's AUX port and out the speakers. I put my speakers in the the kick panel speaker mounts that SOR sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom