I need to stop buying vehicles.... 1996 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why not start a thread here too....

Current stable is an 01 LX470, an 88 FJ62, a Prius V, and now a 96 4Runner, 3.4, 4x4, manual.

We've also had a couple 40s and a 3x locked 80 series. I had an 86 runner about 15 years ago but this isn't anything like that of course.

The fj62 is under the knife for roof repair. We want(ed) to do a manual swap. Cruiserparts isn't responding to inquiries (not surprising given their track record... we aren't in a hurry and they seemed the only logical solution since 60s around here are quite expensive and I can't afford a manual swap using one of those as a donor).

The LX has been used for my wifes joh inspecting farm land, so it's been taking a bit of a "beating" being our family rig (just constantly filled and covered in mud - though it does amazingly well).

So for the cost (including a trans and transfercase) of parts we had set aside for the 62 I picked up the runner.

Lots of miles (315k) but runs quite strong, shifts smoothly, 4wd is quiet. Needs a timing belt service (came with the parts), a couple wheel studs, and tires....

The last 2 manuals we had were an 04 Lexus IS300 sport design then an 88 Corolla Alltrac wagon. Yeah, we're all over the map! It's been a couple years so we're excited about it.

More to follow.

20190630_175319.jpg

Mine has almost $300k miles so don’t fret about miles. I bet a manual transmission would be fun, I’ve never driven one. Good luck with it.

Turns out its a 97, free upgrade!🤣😂

It has 315k miles on it and I have to say, its probably the cleanest frame at this mileage I've seen. Our 80 series had 310k and was clean, but not like this.

New wheel studs and (cheap) all terrains. 265/75/16, might be stock but not sure.

20190703_202554.jpg

20190703_202540.jpg

20190703_202614.jpg

20190703_202524.jpg

Yeah, that’s pretty ugly! The rest of the ‘Runner looks nice and clean though! I’ve been contemplating doing the one in my 100 soon, but it’s still a ways down the list. Do you know if yours has been done before? Any stickers or markings under the hood saying so? Is it a Toyota belt or aftermarket?

I met a woman from Mt Vernon a few weeks ago while buying a spare wheel from her (I live 500 yards from the border by Blaine) and she has 360,000 on her Tundra with the 4.7 and has never done the belt. She’s owned the truck since new, and is very knowledgeable about Toyota trucks and 4Runners. She just hasn’t bothered to do hers “yet”.

Yeah, that’s pretty ugly! The rest of the ‘Runner looks nice and clean though! I’ve been contemplating doing the one in my 100 soon, but it’s still a ways down the list. Do you know if yours has been done before? Any stickers or markings under the hood saying so? Is it a Toyota belt or aftermarket?

I met a woman from Mt Vernon a few weeks ago while buying a spare wheel from her (I live 500 yards from the border by Blaine) and she has 360,000 on her Tundra with the 4.7 and has never done the belt. She’s owned the truck since new, and is very knowledgeable about Toyota trucks and 4Runners. She just hasn’t bothered to do hers “yet”.

Haven't done the belt in our 100 either, though it has markings that it's been done all over the bolts.

This didnt have anything apparent, but some of the bolts have been suspiciously tight (like needing a 2ft prybar for the cam bolts) while others not as tight as I would expect (a/c bracket).

Hoses look original but it has green coolant (not entirely sure when Toyota switched, but does have a crappy flush T installed).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done in the first 100k miles by a dealer then not touched since.

We are off exit 240 (Alger).

Need to get more parts for the timing belt change - I decided to do the cam seals so need those in order to put back together.

In other news, I started to do a deeper cleaning of the carpets... rear is done (might do it again)... and next I'll pull the front seats and center console to do the front and back passenger carpets....

It doesnt look like a huge difference (we will see after they dry) but the tank says otherwise...

20190705_151511.jpg

20190705_154622.jpg

20190705_154707.jpg

Guaranteed that’s the original belt. Through no fault of my own 🤓 my belt got changed first time at 185K and was not nearly as worn.

To be fair if someone had been diligent and replaced it at like 60k miles it would still have 250k miles on it 😂

But... probably original.

Can I simply remove this garbage? "Factory" installed and ziptied to the carpet!!!

All I have is a basic metal key.

I assume it works on the basic principle that if its armed you cannot start, but if not armed it's thesame as if it doesnt exist... being dealer installed in 1997 I cannot fathom it's really all that useful.

20190705_163209.jpg

20190705_163203.jpg

I've got an ancient remote start/alarm? on my 62 I need to remove. Definitely not Toyota branded. Even if the truck runs fine with that box removed you might want to follow the wires (and remove them to clean things up) to see where they connect with the vehicle harness. If it uses a molded connector you'll be fine. What I'm getting at is that if any wires were spliced thats's usually done very sloppy and you'll want to clean that up to keep if from leaving you on the side of the road.

Seeing how it has a Toyota part # I'm guessing it plugs in and you can just yank it all out.

Last night I pulled the seats and center console to clean up the carpets.

I did the drivers side and saw some burn marks... part of the smell it has must be from smoking.

While cleaning under the center console I found a whole mcdonalds (i assume) chicken nugget that was pretty mummified. Guess someone was bummed about their 5 piece.

I thought, before doing the passenger side, I should pull the blower motor and clean the squirell cage. Had my 5 year old help remove some trim and he watched as I pulled the blower motor with a big dead mouse in it. So that was fun.

Need to find some decent seat covers....

So far, looking better.

20190706_191145.jpg

After buying a Blazer from a friend I found WAY too many condoms in the back area, still wrapped, thank God.

Chicken Nuggets, meh, LOL

Honestly don't worry about the miles. Those v6's are strong once you change the timing belt (and once the pulley is good). Even better that it is a manual trans, as those would be more reliable at that sort of mileage than an auto.
265/75/16 is a slight upsize from the OEM tyre size, but it is what I run without any clearance issues.

Looks like you got yourself a nice machine!

I used this method on MR2s with 4age engines- where the engine is inches from the body and you have to do 1/2 from above and half from below.

I was having issues getting the belt over the (loose) tensioner and having the belt both slip a tooth off the passenger pulley and the driver pulley advancing.

Once I clamped in place it became a lot easier.

Fired up (still apart, but I always start to ensure the belt is right.. at least on non interference engines).

Also had to replace a seatbelt nipped at my pur puppy in our 2017 Prius V..... just a bit of disassembly required...

20190709_211029.jpg

20190709_211035.jpg

20190708_203137.jpg

Simple tidbit for those that don't know.

Belt numbers actually make sense and all use 1 of 2 numbering systems for width and circumference.

You can ignore the KO - though, if I recall, that's an indication of it being a serpentine belt.

The 40345 in the middle means it is a 4 rib belt and is 34.5" around.

The other number says the same thing... 4K345 is 4 rib, 34.5" around.

20190712_194007.jpg

Finished getting everything together....

And there were issues.

Crank with no start for a good 10 minutes.

All connections were good. I had started to put the interior back together (which was partially apart for cleaning).

After messing with the fuses, unplugging and plugging back in the "Toyota security" in the center console... it still wouldn't start.

My wife came out and said it smelled like gas. Flood started it and it very slowly rumbled to life.

Now it seems to be fine.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that during reinstalling the fan I bumped the starter several times (key off then back on) - which might have been a means for dumping fuel.... but that had been about 3 hours prior.

I'm almost convinced it's the RS3000 alarm as when it runs it's running perfect.

Looking good. This is what happens to every used vehicle i purchase...I clean out the previous owner.

IMG_20170808_1657491.jpg

20190527_122009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom