I need to re gear my toy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Hey folks, I wanted to know if this is something I could tackle in a weekend or should I bring it to a professional.

I read the tech links about it and it looks like I'll need some tools. I've only done a front knuckle rebuild so far. Is it the same or is this harder?

If I can't do it can anyone recommend a shop in NORCAL (southbay) that knows what they are doing? I may need to do this to my 4Runner as well.

Thanks for the help once again.

Re-search and know more or less what you are doing before you get in there. Setting up the gears does not take too long its all the crap you have to take off to get the 3rd out to swap the gears. I did it in a long weekend. Harbor frieght has most of the tools you need for the set up...

good luck...

Okay, I'm new to this thing, but can you tell me what kind of tools I'll need?

DigitalKnight86 said:
Okay, I'm new to this thing, but can you tell me what kind of tools I'll need?

#1 = dial indicator

Are you planning on doing this to the 3FE or the 1FZ-E? Why? If the 3FE for more power, try adjusting the kickdown cable first. I may be way off base here, sorry if so.

Alkaline I'm actually going to experiment, errr I mean do the 4Runner first just so I can learn.

But if you guys know a guy who can do the ring and pinion here in NORCAL and does good work. Then I'm all ears.

DigitalKnight86 said:
Alkaline I'm actually going to experiment, errr I mean do the 4Runner first just so I can learn.

But if you guys know a guy who can do the ring and pinion here in NORCAL and does good work. Then I'm all ears.

I know of a few guys who've gone to a guy in Rancho Cordova (a suburb of Sacramento) and have been very pleased. I don't recall his name, but can get it for you if you're interested -- it's where I'd likely take mine when I get my gears done...but he's not all that far from me.

The shop is not all that close to the south bay though. Are you willing to drive a couple hours northeast?

River City Differentials in Sacramento.

Jump on a site that sells R&Ps, like Randy's Ring and Pinion. They have tech articles showing you what you need. Good luck.

Sac town is too far.

Setting up a Ring and Pinion is not all that hard to do. You need to take your time, especially the first time. On our trucks it’s easier since the 3rd is a drop out, so you work on a bench not under the truck setting up the gears. If you can find someone who has done it once before that can give a hand. If not read every article you can find on it. (Lots out there)

You have two tasks at hand, #1 pulling/installing the 3rds. #2 setting up the R&P. If you find a rear end shop to set the 3rds up, you might consider doing all the grunt work and pull them yourself. Most shops charge any where from $75-$150 to set up an R&P, ask around. Keep in mind reputation of quality work is worth a few extra $ with gearing. (Keep thinking about all the work that goes into pulling and replacing them!) You can always ask if you can watch how it’s done to learn. This depends entirely on the shop.

If you have the time for the truck to be down, do it yourself. If you start on your 4 runner, do the front first since this is part time. Then do the rear next, 2nd one most likely will be a bit better! The other thing to consider is picking up a spare 3rd and practice taking it apart and putting it back together. Its a good skill to have or at least understand.

This way when you snap the head off your pinion on Rock Pile in Moab you can swap in a spare R&P set up. “Ahem….Woody”

Good luck!

Mark

When I purchased mine I did lots of research. Rieder racing aka precision gear is supposed to be the best aside from Toyota. I really like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom