I need to put my dog down tonight… (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an old Siberian husky/Chow mix named Chica, which needs to be put down. She is getting real bad & is not able to get up very easily and starts to whine while dragging her bad leg. Don’t know if she was able to get to her water today and it’s been 90 deg. She has a skin rash that caused her to lose some of her hair and her skin has turned black form the sun exposure over the time. She scratches and chews allot. She has a large raw spot the leg that she always licks on and now is giving her trouble.

I found this dog as a puppy 13 years ago abandoned on a remote road in the middle of no where. She has been a real good dog. I don’t have a fence but she stays here at the house, never barked loud, just a quiet ruff, ruff, to let you know that something is up. She always liked to go on walks, no matter how far or how much misery she was in. The summer months are her worst. The vets had us try different stuff to see if it would help, but nothing has made a noticeable improvement. I think it’s a combination of allergies and arthritis. She would walk and scratch with the same leg to the point that she gets tired and has to sit to continue to scratch. When she isn’t scratching she is licking or sleeping.

I built a nice two room dog house (insulated) tong & groove with a room she can lay in and look out to the street below. I'm sure she would like to jump on the roof, as she likes to look down. She loved to sleep in the dog house on cold nights or when it’s snowing or raining. (She has never liked going inside our house, probably seemed hot.) She was most comfortable sitting on top of a large square rock on the slope just below the dog house. She had the best view of the Sandia Mountains, and the quiet road below with the occasional car or walkers with treats.

She has seen the best sunrises as the day approached, the some of the best sunsets when the day leaves.
It’s sad that she won’t see the sunset tonight, or the beautiful sunrises anymore as we need to take her to the vet.

The coyotes have been getting closer each day lately, and seem to be howling later in the morning. I’m afraid that they can sense her weakness and may try to come in for an easy kill. I have two other dogs that stand guard and probably have kept them form coming in already. Now that she started whining I think the coyotes will come in soon and put my other dogs in danger.

I’ve dreaded this moment, but I have no choice now, but to do what needs to be done. She has been a sweet dog, and has never left her post that over looks the street below & the beautiful valley leading up to the Sandia Mountains.

I’m going to miss her…

Vaya Con Dios, Chica

Dean & Kerry

Last edited:
Very very sorry to hear this man. My thoughts are with you and Chica. May she rest in peace and may you rejoin her in heaven in a long long long while! I'll ask several of my fury friends up there to warmly welcome her. Again, very sorry to hear.

That's a crusher. I don't know if there is anything more cruel in life than our dogs being so short lived. Best wishes.

Sorry to hear it. I am dreading the day I have to put one of mine down, but try to think of the thirteen years of happiness and joy she has brought to you and yours.

Again-I am so sorry.

Dean - really sorry to hear that! Nothing makes me more sad than having to put down someone you love - my heart goes out to you! My hoss is sitting next to me - I don't know how I will deal with losing him -

Really sorry - but you wrote a great tribute - sorry

I'm sorry for your loss! They really are a part of the family. We had to put our dog down 3 years ago after having him 12 years. It was pretty sad, I took the rest of the day off work. 2 weeks later we found out my wife was pregnant. That definetly helped us get over our loss. All Dogs Go To Heaven
One of my little girls favorite movies

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you were able to spend a lot of happy and great times with her. Moments you'll never forget.

It is finished. She died very peacfully. Just layed in the vet attendants arms and rested until gone. We took some pictures of her favorite rock and the view from it, will post in the next couple of days.

Faithful friends indeed.

Dean, you could show Chica no greater love than to help her pass on peacefully when the suffering becomes too great.

Too often, pet owners prolong an animals agony because they do not want to "let go". What a wonderful testimony you have written of her, your love for this animal is evident and your kind actions are a blessing to her.

I know you will miss her physical presence....but you can keep her always in your heart. Let those sunrises and sunsets be a constant reminder of your canine friend... and all that she brought to your life.

I am sad for you.

Last edited:
I've had dogs in my house since I was hatched and I learned and abide by one phrase....." No bad days." It is a promise I make to all my dogs and a promise I hope someone I love will apply to me.
Dogs are like a free credit card that you charge unconditional love, appreciation, adoration, understanding and friendship and you only have to pay it off once, with one big payment. What a bitch.
At that time I try to remember the important papers they puked on, the new carpet they s*** on, the family albums they chewed on, the neighbor they pissed off, etc, etc. But I can't.
"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you will find that what is bringing you great joy once brought you great sadness, and when you are full of sadness, the same thing will have brought you great joy."
I'm sure I've butchered that but it is from The Prophet. Khalil Gihlbran...pretty sure you know who I mean, but I f'upped the name, too.

Very sorry, but you did right by the dogfriend.

Ed

Degnol said:
I've had dogs in my house since I was hatched and I learned and abide by one phrase....." No bad days." It is a promise I make to all my dogs and a promise I hope someone I love will apply to me.
Dogs are like a free credit card that you charge unconditional love, appreciation, adoration, understanding and friendship and you only have to pay it off once, with one big payment. What a bitch.
At that time I try to remember the important papers they puked on, the new carpet they s*** on, the family albums they chewed on, the neighbor they pissed off, etc, etc. But I can't.
"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you will find that what is bringing you great joy once brought you great sadness, and when you are full of sadness, the same thing will have brought you great joy."
I'm sure I've butchered that but it is from The Prophet. Khalil Gihlbran...pretty sure you know who I mean, but I f'upped the name, too.

Very sorry, but you did right by the dogfriend.

Ed

good stuff, ed -- :D

e

very sorry to hear, i have been there and i know how it hurts.
nothing will make it easier but you will feel better being with Chica when the times comes.
i have found though that a replacement dog does help over th elong run...
Wayne

Sorry to hear that. It is a shame they live short lives. Wish you all peace.

been there.........

put our chow down five years ago. :frown:
on of the hardest things i had to do,she was 12yrs old.
great dog,never had a dog that was that much a part of my family.
makes me want to :crybaby: like a little :princess:

sorry for your loss man :frown: :

I'm so sorry for your loss, your tribute made my eyes water up with sorrow for you both.

Please remember the good times you had together and think of her when you enjoy a sunrise or sunset. Be sure you tell her when you see a particularly beautiful one...

Keep your head up buddy. Take care.

Jody.

I feel for you. I sit and watch my 12 year old lab deteriorate and realize I am not too far away from this very same situation myself.

PHBeerman said:
I feel for you. I sit and watch my 12 year old lab deteriorate and realize I am not too far away from this very same situation myself.

Ditto here, our rottie is getting to that point also. I too swore I would never let her have a "bad day"

I should of skipped this post.

Dean, I feel your loss, great tribute to a loyal friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom