I need some OME suspension opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mts

Threads
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_suspension.htm

I need some opinions about the stock height set-up with the 861 front springs and the 862 rear springs for my LX 450.

My rig would likely be deemed "pristine" by most of you. Sees offroad, but nothing difficult at all, no rock climbing etc. It's unlikely it will ever seen an ARB or wench on the front. It gets towing duty about once or twice a month 4,000+ lbs. Tires are 285/75/16's.

What's the ride like with this OME set-up? I know this is totally subjective, but I'd like opinions. My girlfriend already complains a little that this truck does not ride as well as my old QX4, so I need to keep as much of the ride quality as possible.

Also, with the front springs in this set-up being heavier than the rears, can I/should I go to a slightly heavier spring in the rear due to the towing?

Thoughts?
Mike :beer:

Girlfriend co-drives my racecar with me, let's me spend whatever I want on car/truck parts, and does not complain too much when I consider every towel in the house to be a "shop towel". Also, at 5'9" 120lbs she looks killer in a short skirt and heels. Girlfriend stays. :D ;)

Mike

I think he was referring to never seeing a "Wench" up front... :slap:

As for the OME suspension, I can only speak from experience with the 850/864 springs and n73e/n74 shocks, but can tell you that you won't be disappointed. The quality is excellent and ride is much better than stock.

-H-

I think he was referring to never seeing a "Wench" up front... :slap:-H-

My brother-in-law once had a message left on his desk by his assistant "John called about your wench" :D- she didn't bat an eye!

Cheers, Hugh

MTS,

Never put your 'wench' in a stock Landcruiser if she feels that way about an LX. An LX rides like a MBZ by comparison with it's softer suspension. Had an occasion to have a 2002 LX470 loaner for a week. Fun to compare that against my stock '94 LC. LX was soft and mushy (that's a technical term for Wrench and Junk's benefit :ugh:). Ride height control and suspension stiffness controls made a noticable difference, but even in the sport mode the LX was MUCH softer than the LC. Too much wood in the LX as well. No longer a truck. &nbsp:Don't get me wrong or flame me - just comparisons. It's still better than anything else in it's class.

No experience with OME, but wouldn't they stiffen the LX ride from stock?

Yes, OME will be more "stiff", but not in a bad way.(Just ask any Wench....'cept maybe the Indigo Girls.... :banana:) Just trust me....it's very nice. Sucks up the bumps fantastically with much more on road control, and a heck of a lot more articulation off road.

-H-

You make one little spelling mistake and things go south in a hurry! I should know better! :stupid: :G

I just installed the "heavy" OME suspension from Slee on my '94.  Besides the tires it is stock.  No aftermarket bumpers nor a wench.  :D  The ride is better than stock.  Now that's not to say it is as soft as stock 'cause its not.  It is firm and controlled but never harsh.  Speed bumps and potholes along with curbs and other onroad annoyances are soaked up by the new suspension.  With towing, I would reccommend the heavier rear springs, even if it is only a few times a month.  The stock rear springs reach their limit real quick.

O.K., first post on this board......

I put these exact same springs on my 95 a little over a year ago.

I installed them with 10mm OME spacers all around for a decent (1" or so) lift. Chose these springs because:
1. Stock springs were beginning to sag
2. At the time, did not want to mess with caster issues and did not use the vehicle in a manner or plan on having the weight on the back that would necessitate a more standard 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" lift.

On stock, OEM shocks, the ride improvement was NOTICEABLE. I was kinda surprised, because my previous experiences with OME (83 FJ60, 95 Discovery) made the ride a little bit worse. Must be the weight of the 80.

Having said that, in a month or two I will be swapping out my current set-up for the full 850 & 863 (have not decided J-series or not) stuff, primarily due to changing & evolving focus of the vehicle. If you can wait until then, I can sell you my springs used for cheap.

I must add that the same day I put on the low-lift springs, I also put on an ARB bull-bar, so I'm not sure if my results are skewed by the extra weight on the front.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, because I'm sure I'm one of the few you'll find that have these specific springs.

RJL
95 FZJ80

Shocker,

When you go to the longer springs I would suggest using J springs up front. With the weight of the bullbar up there your truck will lean toward the front without.

With a bullbar and a winch on the front of my truck, the truck is still marginally higher in the rear.

Mike,

I'm running on OME861/862 with N73/N74E. Much better ride than stock setup. That side by side rocking is virtually eliminated.

Frank.

I want to go to Sedona on the 19th and see Greasy Spoon. I am trying to figure out if I can fly to Phx Thursday nite, then fly back to Vegas on Friday nite, pick up the cruiser, drive to Sedona on Saturday, wheel all day, drive back to Vegas Saturday nite, fly to Phx the same nite, spend Easter with the fam and then fly back to Vegas for work on Monday. That seems practical...right? :dunno:

-H-
When was the last time we worried about snatching a thread?......... :beer:

That's what we do best........ :eek:

Well, if we're changing subjects, another question. When it comes to stewed prunes, is 3 enough? Is 4 too many?? :dunno: :slap:

Mike :G

Mike,
Yes.
-B-
:D

I put light springs on my rig. &nbsp:Don't know which OME they would be equal to. I then later added a ARB bullbar and they still worked OK. I then added a winch and it is very apparent they are too soft. :slap: Be honest with yourself. I thought I would not add a bullbar and winch. Within a year of owning my lx450, I have added a bullbar, winch, have ordered slee sliders and am saving for a rear bumper, tire carrier combo. The way I figure it, the cost of armour is less than body damage repair, even if you only go offroad occasionally a log or rock can do $$ damage to rockers etc. Gee, I am really trying to justify my purchases eh! :D :D
Regards,
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom