I Need Some Help. My 62 Won’t Start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sbelinge

SILVER Star
Threads
My ‘89 62 will not start. Thankfully this happened at home so that’s good.

Here’s what I know so far. The engine turns over and there is spark at the plugs. The fuel pump turns on when I jump the terminals +B and FP on the test connector. After testing those items and trying to start it a few times I opened the fuel filler cap and some fuel gurgled up out of the tank. The truck is parked on an incline. For as long as I can remember when I park on my driveway after a 20+ mile drive and shut off the engine the evap. system in the rear quarter panel makes sounds like it’s burping, gurgling, and just plain farting (that’s a technical term, if you didn’t know). After a drive of similar distance if I open the filler cap there is a sizable release of air from the tank (directly related to how much fuel is in the tank). I don’t know if the driveway incline has any impact but I don’t recall hearing all the noises when it’s parked on the flat.
I’m going to do the FSM check on the charcoal canister this evening.

The gurgling, farting, and fuel spilling issues are all symptoms that can be caused by your evap canister going bad. However, the fact that you can't start your rig at all suggests there is a different problem at work.

Assuming your engine is indeed turning over (e.g. not an electrical or starter problem), then I'm thinking you have a clog somewhere in your fuel plumbing. When was the last time your fuel filter was changed?

Starter and electrical all seem fine. I replaced my fuel filter 10/16. I assume I can’t remove the ‘out’ fuel line from the fuel filter to see if there is flow through the filter?

Sure you can; but you'd also have to disconnect the filter from your fender and put the whole thing into a bucket to prevent gas from spraying everywhere. You might have an easier time diagnosing fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line from the engine.

Stupid question: any chance you accidentally filled up with diesel?

No, I didn’t fill up with diesel. My Costco doesn’t sell it. That would really suck if I had.
I just tested my charcoal canister and it seems ok though the air flow through the tank line isn’t as free as when I blow through the purge line. Did you replace yours a couple years ago?

Due to time constraints (I have no time to work on my rig until summer) I had to send my rig to LCNW. I feel a bit defeated in having to do so but, that's life. Before I had it towed I checked for fault codes. I got code 14 and 41 relating to ignition signal (ignitor) and throttle position sensor respectively.

I don't use tow companies often but for the few occasions I have, Chappelle's Towing (SW Wash.) has been my 'go to' company and they've always been great.

Update, if anyone is interested?
My rig is at LCNW and the prognosis is a dead fuel pump. I'm glad I decided to have someone else do that job especially considering that it had a full tank of fuel.

Last edited:
I picked up my rig on Saturday and all is good. Now I’m moving on to finding te source of a very annoying steering shaft rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom