I need more protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So now that my rear bumper looks like this, there is a certain urgency to getting a new rear bumper. Unfortunately, all the good options are $2000 and are at least 10-12 weeks out o_O
20191013_125549.jpg
20191013_125554.jpg

And maybe some rust to deal with... There's a dude on Insta that goes by tha_florist and rocks no bumpers. His rig looks surprisingly good. Of course, this doesn't help with the need for more protection.

I'm really surprised at the mamby bambys on this thread, obviously hes not looking to win a beauty contest but doesnt mean you can only drive $500 cherokee with all miss matching colored body panels, a missing door, and a bumper held on by a bungee cable. Considering your Wisconsin (I'm from MN, originally) I'm guessing these trails are narrow heavily wooded trails and muddy maybe sometimes sandy/silty surfaces with tree roots and some rocks but not just miles of rock crawling....which no one seems to be taking into account. I'm guessing most of your damage came from lack of traction from not have a rear locker and sliding into objects and 255/85/16 KM3's might have done you better than 285/75/16 K02s as someone mentioned but too late now so who cares. And the actual object that caused the damage was a tree? No? And since you said youre normally in low I imagine you are not hitting these trees at more than 15mph maybe more like 5-10? and more side-swiping/glancing them more than nailing them head on.

I dont see any reason why a steel bumper with bar work connecting to your rock sliders would not absolutely protect your lights and fenders from major damage. Yes, twigs and branches will still scratch your car, so just wax before and wet sand after. Thats not too expensive a solution for the front, for the rear you are probably in the same boat as me...saving up and waiting for the rear bumper to come so you can put on a new one. If you're wanting a dual swing-out maybe you can just buy the bumper first and the swing out stuff later?

And I see you've got the Smittybuilt 9500, that will be just fine with a snatch block to pull you out of anything. I'm very very heavy on trips and have been high centered on the rear axle in swampy mud and that winch did just fine pulling out.

I'm really surprised at the mamby bambys on this thread, obviously hes not looking to win a beauty contest but doesnt mean you can only drive $500 cherokee with all miss matching colored body panels, a missing door, and a bumper held on by a bungee cable. Considering your Wisconsin (I'm from MN, originally) I'm guessing these trails are narrow heavily wooded trails and muddy maybe sometimes sandy/silty surfaces with tree roots and some rocks but not just miles of rock crawling....which no one seems to be taking into account. I'm guessing most of your damage came from lack of traction from not have a rear locker and sliding into objects and 255/85/16 KM3's might have done you better than 285/75/16 K02s as someone mentioned but too late now so who cares. And the actual object that caused the damage was a tree? No? And since you said youre normally in low I imagine you are not hitting these trees at more than 15mph maybe more like 5-10? and more side-swiping/glancing them more than nailing them head on.

I dont see any reason why a steel bumper with bar work connecting to your rock sliders would not absolutely protect your lights and fenders from major damage. Yes, twigs and branches will still scratch your car, so just wax before and wet sand after. Thats not too expensive a solution for the front, for the rear you are probably in the same boat as me...saving up and waiting for the rear bumper to come so you can put on a new one. If you're wanting a dual swing-out maybe you can just buy the bumper first and the swing out stuff later?

Trails are exactly how you described them. And yes, when I hit something I am super slow - like walking speed so only body panel damage. I think I am getting slightly better at judging the potential risks and the rear locker is definitely a game changer.

I drive my truck most of the time on pavement and it snows 500 days a year in WI, so I thought KO2s would be better that KM3.

As for the bumpers, I have saved up for a front one but all the custom made options have 10-12 weeks waiting time. Right now I am leaning heavily towards getting an ARB 03+ Bull bar ($1254 incl. shipping from bumper superstore).

Trails are exactly how you described them. And yes, when I hit something I am super slow - like walking speed so only body panel damage. I think I am getting slightly better at judging the potential risks and the rear locker is definitely a game changer.

I drive my truck most of the time on pavement and it snows 500 days a year in WI, so I thought KO2s would be better that KM3.

As for the bumpers, I have saved up for a front one but all the custom made options have 10-12 weeks waiting time. Right now I am leaning heavily towards getting an ARB 03+ Bull bar ($1254 incl. shipping from bumper superstore).

What's the cost from one of the mud vendors? Keep it in the family, ya know.

(Unless it's like $400 extra :hillbilly:)

Most bull bars (slee, dissent) are $1600+ even with the wait time. And the 4x4 labs is $1650 without bull bar.
I think BIOR is only $1200 but have 3 months wait time as well. Dobinson and even SoFlo are out of stock for the rest of the year.

Forget the SoFlo.... you gotta improvise... Soloflex!

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 1.11.56 PM.png

Most bull bars (slee, dissent) are $1600+ even with the wait time. And the 4x4 labs is $1650 without bull bar.
I think BIOR is only $1200 but have 3 months wait time as well. Dobinson and even SoFlo are out of stock for the rest of the year.

Aha, sorry. I meant for ARB bars. Shops like Cruiser Outfitters, etc.

"Slightly less than impressed" is where I'd put SoFlo.

Had all but forgotten of Tofudebeest and the Soloflex. Thanks @hoser

Sneak peek
20191105_134901.jpg

Just pop it back on?
There is a chunk of metal lost to rust where the plastic bumper hooks into. Hopefully I will get it patched up this week and then back to business.

this a funny thread

Getting there
20191110_095140.jpg

20191111_150543.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom