I Need Help Lads!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hav a problem with my old Toyota carina, the end of the ignition key has broken off inside the barrel, and it will not turn to start the car, I have just took the cowling off so I could remove the steering barrel and lock, but the barrel is held in place by a bracket with anti steal/anti undo screws, how the hell can I remove the barrel to strip it down to remove the broken key, the key has a number so should be able to just buy another one from Toyota, but have to get the old broken bit out first.....any pointers would be very helpfull.

Have you tried a magnetised(sp) pick up tool. Might just be able to pull the key out just a little bit.

Hi Jerry, in the UK we have Carina, the magnetic idea won't work, as 99% of keys are brass or some type of mixed metel that is not magnetic, makes chroming easier.

superglue (small amount) the end of the key you have in your hand, stick the two together(in the ignition) hold very still for glue drying then carefully remove key. I did this in my Chevy truck and it worked. Don't put too much glue or else you will really be screwed

I did try this before I posted the help question, buy had no luck, even tried using a cut off cable tie with the glue trick, but no luck

Thin tweezers (forceps) on either side of the key?

And I suppose it's all the way at the end of the cylinder too...

damn.

I'm not sure why it won't engage the starter with the rest of the key pushed all the way in? If it did, you could just leave it in there I guess...

There is always a big Frigging drill or bust the crap out of the column. Have you contacted a locksmith or a gifted convict that may be willing to help for the price of a pack of smokes

I would have thought I could have still been able to turn the key to start the car, but alas....no such luck, not really bothered about locking the car, no one would ever want to steal it ...LOL.
If I cannot get this sorted by the morning, It will be a chisle and a big hammer in the morning.

Well, What was the outcome?

I would expect that locksmiths probably have exactly the right tool to pull out a broken key.

tip it over on its side and pound on the ........

inexpensive dentists picks similar to those sold by Harbor Freight.

had to do something similar on a 4runner. Royal PITA...

Used a slide hammer and drill to destroy the cylinder and eventually remove it...

like I said, a half-day saga...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom