I need help finding the front brake caliper casting number for 93-early 95 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to confirm that the 93-early 95 front brake calipers have an S13WC casting number. It is located on the same side that the flexible brake hose goes in. Could someone with rigs of these years please look at their calipers and let me know??

I'd like to make sure these are the same as the late 95-97 calipers as I plan on ordering a set from Toyota. A few people have said they fit but can't find anything that says they are the exact same caliper, but I'm thinking that the casting number should tell us one way or the other. One person told me that the Toyota part number change (not the number cast into the caliper itself) might just mean that there was a change in suppliers to Toyota back then so Toyota listed them as different Toyota part numbers?? But everyone else including NAPA, Autozone, Carquest, O'Reillys, Advance Auto, and on-line sellers all have them listed as the same part from 93 through 97, with casting number S13WC. The difference in price is huge; the Toyota dealer price for reman 93 to early 95 front calipers is around $110 each, price for late 95 to 97, $450 each!! (no remans available from Toyota for these years).

This is what I'm hoping to find, let me know, thanks:
DSC00321.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone out there driving a 93-95 model?

Keep in mind that calipers may be backwards compatible and not necessarily forwards compatible. Brackets, mounts, etc... can change between model years. To the point that an early cruiser could accept the newer calipers yet the later cruiser can't use the older calipers.

What's wrong with reman calipers from non Toyota sources? If you search hard enough you can probably find the company that remanufactures them for Toyota.

I know that my post will not solve your question, but why are you buying a new set of calipers? Are they cracked?

Mine are binding a little bit so I am ordering a caliper overhaul kit (seal, boot, metal clip, $10 per caliper). If I get too anal about them I might sand blast them (probably another $10 per caliper) and paint them pimp red :). In another truck I've even lost the pads and the bare cylinders were rubbing against the rotor, so I paid $10 to have them refinished on a lathe in 15 minutes.

What I'm trying to say is that you really need to have a big disaster to buy new calipers.

I know that my post will not solve your question, but why are you buying a new set of calipers? Are they cracked?

Mine are binding a little bit so I am ordering a caliper overhaul kit (seal, boot, metal clip, $10 per caliper). If I get too anal about them I might sand blast them (probably another $10 per caliper) and paint them pimp red :). In another truck I've even lost the pads and the bare cylinders were rubbing against the rotor, so I paid $10 to have them refinished on a lathe in 15 minutes.

What I'm trying to say is that you really need to have a big disaster to buy new calipers.

Hehe, Mike you need to post that here as well.

MikePL: Agree with the idea of rebuilding the old set and I do have the Toyota kit, just can't get two pistons out after a week of trying all the common methods including an oxy-acetylene torch, they just won't budge. All the parts stores in the US sell remanufactured calipers, but 90% seem to be made by A1 Cardone. Got a set from O'Reilly's Auto Parts that looked pretty good, but when I opened up the bleeder screws rusty water came out and one bleeder was difficult to remove because it had been crossed threaded and a curly cue piece of metal came out with it from the buggared up threads. Figured it's not worth risking my pricey DBA rotors to some poor rebuild; I'm hoping the Toyota remans are a better quality. From reading other posts here on mud a few people have used the 93 to mid-95 calipers without any problems, just would like to confirm the casting numbers from someone who still has the original calipers on their early rig.

Last edited:
Toyota doesn't have remans for 96 and 97 last time I spoke with Cdan. Only new.

I ordered a set of 93-95 remans. They bolted straight up and I could not see a difference between the remans and my originals. They are different part numbers, but there are no visible differences that I could tell. I'd just go ahead and use them.

EBag333: Nice to know they fit. Yeah, don't want to pay $450 each for new, so looking at the early years remans. If you happen to be under your truck this weekend it would be great if you could take a look for the casting number. I'm still curious if the casting number on an original set is the same, S13WC.
This is the second set of O'Reilly's/A1 Cardone remans I've looked at, didn't take the first set home they looked so bad sitting on the counter being mismatched, already rusting, and with some reused small parts. The second set looked better on the outside but the rusty water coming out of the bleeder screws tells me there is something wrong with their remanufacturing process. If someone just slapped those on and bled them normally I'm thinking some water could still be left behind inside the caliper not to mention the rust??
I now have a set of the remans on order from my local Toy dealer but have until 10:30 am Monday to cancel it, just looking for piece of mind. This whole caliper runaround has just reinforced what I already knew, stick with Toyota parts whenever you can get them and for calipers order them well in advance, the Toyota warehouse my dealer uses didn't have both front calipers available a week ago when I first tried to order a set.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate about the quality of the A1/Cardone remans. There are plenty of other remanufacturers to choose from. In addition some searching may yield who remanufactures the brakes that Toyota supplies. I don't know the OEM for the toyota brakes...either Akebono or Aisin I assume.

That said, there's nothing wrong with buying from Toyota. But, double check their remans. just as you would from O'Reilly's.

EBag333: Nice to know they fit. Yeah, don't want to pay $450 each for new, so looking at the early years remans. If you happen to be under your truck this weekend it would be great if you could take a look for the casting number. I'm still curious if the casting number on an original set is the same, S13WC.

S13WC on both.

I'm unable to explain why they are two different part numbers, especially since both use the same rebuild kit. :meh:

Ebag333; Looks like a consensus; all the remanufactured front calipers for 93-97 80 series (US) that I've found on-line and in the parts stores along with your Toyota remans for 93-mid 95 all have the same S13WC casting number, same as what was on my 1996 80. Thanks a bunch.

Ebag333; Looks like a consensus; all the remanufactured front calipers for 93-97 80 series (US) that I've found on-line and in the parts stores along with your Toyota remans for 93-mid 95 all have the same S13WC casting number, same as what was on my 1996 80. Thanks a bunch.

Try and figure out what the difference is between your old caliper and the new one.

The # change could be a supplier change, seal change, # of threads in the bleed screw change, whether or not the calipers come with brake pads change, etc... When the supplier for the later 80 part # quits making the caliper, they'll all be reman'd units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom