I need guidance from those with the knowledge of 80 vs 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My rational side thinks you should get a 100 series. That's because it seems that the VAST majority of your time will be driving on decent roads.

My emotional side thinks you should get an 80. It drives well enough on the road, and when you're wheeling in Moab in your 100, you will always wonder what it would have been like in an 80.

Regardless, it sounds like you've already made up your mind with the LX450. I don't think you can go wrong with it--unless gas goes back to $4/gallon. At that point, buy yourself a used Miata and save the LX for Moab and such.

Well I’ve got one of each. Purchased the ‘99 hundy knowing it would live at our cabin in Idaho, and it’s only mods have been removing the running boards, go up 1” in the rear and add a few cranks on the torsion bars with TD shocks ... running 295’s. It sees most miles on the highway and off-road has been primarily forest service roads. Comfortable and handles everything with ease, I haven’t put it in a situation where I needed the rear e-locker but it’s nice knowing it’s there. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

The triple locked 97 is the newest addition to the fleet. Wasn’t planning on it, but it had been my Dads ride since new and once he was no longer able to drive I couldn’t stand the thought of mom selling it for a few bucks and losing the opportunity to give it a second life. I’m about half way thru the PM / build process. Currently 2.5” up and on 35’s, no bumpers or armor yet but that is the plan. The 80 is comfortable but not as plush as the 100, call it more utilitarian. It is slower than the hundred, most notably at highway speeds. I’m planning to add the underdrive TC gearing which will help some. It’s a different tank than the hundred, I know it will go almost anywhere it’s pointed after it leaves the highway. Its been a blast working through the issues I inherited and getting It to the point where I can enjoy it.

Find the best of either candidate and don’t look back, both will serve you well.

My advice is to buy the cheapest non rusted 80 you can find, CDL switch, 33s , then add lockers to it ARB or elocker ect.
Once you add lockers, do axle service, birfs at the same time, kill two birds one stone.

Look at any 80 with without lockers
Find the best maintained mall cruiser you can find and Spend $1500 for a rear ARB locker if you need it - You would be surprised where a 80 can go without lockers

I have had both 100s and 80s
Most of my problems have been with 100 CV joints - You need to carry a spare and plan on having new OEM only ones installed as soon as you can

Factory lockers in my experience work sometimes so don't just get excited because it has a button - You need to engage them for sure

A 100 can run 285s pretty comfortably with no issue any bigger and its slow
100 is very pricey to lift over about 2.5 "

a 80 is cake to lift 4" and run 315s although you may need to re-gear

They are both comfortable to drive - the 100 being a bit more on road and the 80 a bit more off road
I just keep coming back to the 80 because of the rawness of it and the ability to mod it easier. 2.5” lift would be the max that I do. This thing has to go inside a garage with an 86” entry. I’m not putting this kind of money into building something and then leaving it outside. Especially an 80 with the paint they put on these things. The LX450 in Chat seems decent but I’m waiting for more pictures. I don’t do adds where water is running off the paint after a fresh wash. Tells me they’re more than likely hiding paint or body issues. Also I’m sure this thing was and all but things like the instrument cluster looking like it had been through a desert storm also brings a lot to question. I’m going to just have to see it in person. I’m all for someone using these for what they’re meant to be used for but if you’re selling something at least clean it up or it makes me question the care you took care of it. If the 100 was easier to fit wheels/tires and lift I’d probably be set on it but the more I read it seems like a bigger headache.

I've got both a 96 lx and a 98 100. The 100 series for an everyday driver is superior in everyway. My LX has a one 2.5 lift, 33" tires ironman bullbar and winch. It is triple locked and feels like it can go anywhere. But it is nowhere near as comfortable or roomy as the 100. The 100's v8 gets about the same mileage and has way more power, even if they are close on paper. That v8 is silky smooth even with almost 300k. As far as room inside the 100 has more leg and hip room. It just feels like a more modern vehicle. 80 series = tractor, serious off-road work, 100 series = do all suv with less serious off-road work.

Oh and 80 series look better.

The downside is that compared to a modern car, they’re slow.
The above statement is very true when talking about a naturally aspirated 80 series truck. Operating in the flat lands close to sea level the performance from the stock engine is okay. But once you get out west, and start climbing above 6 or 7 thousand feet in elevation, you'll notice the performance of these trucks drop off noticeably. Even more so if you're pulling a trailer or boat at those higher elevations.

I've got both a 96 lx and a 98 100. The 100 series for an everyday driver is superior in everyway. My LX has a one 2.5 lift, 33" tires ironman bullbar and winch. It is triple locked and feels like it can go anywhere. But it is nowhere near as comfortable or roomy as the 100. The 100's v8 gets about the same mileage and has way more power, even if they are close on paper. That v8 is silky smooth even with almost 300k. As far as room inside the 100 has more leg and hip room. It just feels like a more modern vehicle. 80 series = tractor, serious off-road work, 100 series = do all suv with less serious off-road work.

^^^^

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I have a '97 L/C that I've had for 20 years and a '99 LX470 that we've only had for about 4 years. For pure off-road it's the 80 series for me...hands down, BUT for everyday driving and limited off-roading...the 100 series gets the nod for sure. It would be an incredibly hard pick for me IF I could only have one.

^^^^

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I have a '97 L/C that I've had for 20 years and a '99 LX470 that we've only had for about 4 years. For pure off-road it's the 80 series for me...hands down, BUT for everyday driving and limited off-roading...the 100 series gets the nod for sure. It would be an incredibly hard pick for me IF I could only have one.

Welp I went and drove both and this is the exact situation I ran into. I love both for their own respective differences. I sold my Ram Rebel back to the dealership today and made about $2k on it. DO NOT buy any Ram truck with the air ride suspension. Ever since this winter when it got into the teens mine has sunk to the bumper stops if it isn’t driven daily to air back up. They finally agreed to buy it back after it being in the shop 11 times for the same issue. With that said I may go ahead and get a 100 now and if I find a 80 for a good price that needs a little work I’ll buy it as well and put it aside and work on it until I get it where I want. I know if I get the 100 and never get an 80 I’ll always want the 80 just flat out for how it looks and I think it represents an era where Toyota was at its best. I’ve reached out to about 8 different owners and getting photos and info coming in so hopefully I’ll find what I’m looking for. It’ll come I just don’t want to jump the gun on anything.

If still considering the 100, the 06-07 appeals to me as best of the generation with vvti and better looking rear end. But also the secondary air injection system is expensive if it goes bad, plus AHC and braking issues as mentioned. So some things to consider. Maybe an 05 is the best then without the SAIS?

This just popped up at a dealer an hour from me. Is the LA package on this leather seats? It’s new enough on their site that they have zero info up or pictures other than the VIN
EC5ACC16-41BA-450E-9C82-3A1D4B051FA0.jpeg

This vehicle has also spent it’s entire life in Alabama as well so shouldn’t be any rust to it but I guess I’ll find out. They have it listed for $10k

80s are old now. So regardless of miles, the age causes wear. So considerable time and money is needed to baseline them. An exception could be if you get one off of mud classifieds. Whether u get a 80 or 100, I would keep an eye on mud classifieds. Many here have already baselined properly and may have mods already that fir your needs.

My experience is limited with the 100 but this is how I see it compared to the 80:

- The 80 is an off road vehicle that can be driven on road
- The 100 is an on road vehicle that can be driven off road

Both are great vehicles.

What about an 06 that has the Hewitt bypass done for secondary air and AHC converted? Found one with 140k miles for $15k. Does the bypass cause any power loss?

That’s probably better asked or researched in the 100 series section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom