I need a magneto for an old tractor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mauser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I may be the worst, but I know I am not the only one who collects junk.

The weather these last couple of months has been hell on my road and I guess I am going to have to do something about it.

I've got a 1949 Allis-Chalmers D model road grader that is in need of spark. I am looking for a magneto for a Allis Chalmers WD engine.

Anybody have something laying around?

Here is the old girl, she just really needs some love.
PXL_20230223_212126909.MP.jpg

I don't have anything other than complete enthusiasm for when you fire that puppy up, then I want to drive it.

I so badly want to say, here hold my beer and watch this.

That's all I got 🤣

Last edited:
There must be someplace in town that can rebuild the one you have.

Why does everyone I know with an old Allis-Chalmers motor grader have to live too far away for me to be able to use it on my road?

Sorry don't have a magneto lying around.

Have you checked the Allis Chalmers forum? There are still several on the forum that have an inventory hulks that they pull parts from.

I realize you probably already checked with an vintage tractor parts house like Steiner Tractor for parts to rebuild it yourself.

Good luck

The problem is that the magneto that is on it now is the incorrect one and does not belong to me. After asking one of my dad's cousins about it I found out the magneto belonged to him and was just loaned 30 something years ago. I'm looking for a replacement so I can give the one on it back to the old buzzard.

Cool tractor! Let us know when it’s up and running. I would like to come over to your place and check it out. I have a small Kubota for plowing snow and road work, but something like that could either get the job done or (if I was driving) do a hell of a lot of damage!

I asked an old timer who works on old tractors who stopped by the shop today, and he said he had some luck with a magneto years ago at Alb Best Equipment Supply.

Other than that he mentioned the Steiner’s Tractor place, same as from the above post.

I asked an old timer who works on old tractors who stopped by the shop today, and he said he had some luck with a magneto years ago at Alb Best Equipment Supply.

Other than that he mentioned the Steiner’s Tractor place, same as from the above post.

Thank you!

I found an American Bosch mag on Ebay that I went ahead and bought for $100. I think it should work. It should have a Fairbanks Morse magneto.

If the ebay mag needs a rebuild I will have it converted to a distributor

Once the engine is running I can figure out what else needs fixed.

Thank you!

I found an American Bosch mag on Ebay that I went ahead and bought for $100. I think it should work. It should have a Fairbanks Morse magneto.

If the ebay mag needs a rebuild I will have it converted to a distributor

Once the engine is running I can figure out what else needs fixed.

Can't help but wonder how many hydro leaks you're gonna find.

Can't help but wonder how many hydro leaks you're gonna find.

All of them. It's not a great big system, but there is a few hoses. Only 2 cylinders though and no power steering.

She's alive!

Got magneto #2 from ebay this morning, popped it on, pulled the carb apart and cleaned it, cleaned the fuel tank, replaced fuel line and filter, hooked the battery up and she fired up.

No huge hydraulic leaks yet. I filled the tank so I could lift the moldboard and moved it backward about 3 feet.

I'm going to air the tires up now and grease everything. Maybe tomorrow I will change the oil and drive it down the road to see what I can break.

I'm no operator, but having a lot of fun. This thing is a workout. Power steering soon to come. View attachment 3346500
That's going to be awesome for making your road civilized. Any chance you'd ever let some poor soul borrow it for their much shorter and much more civilized road?

That's going to be awesome for making your road civilized. Any chance you'd ever let some poor soul borrow it for their much shorter and much more civilized road?
How do you suppose you'll get it to your house? 🤣

That’s so cool!!!! Does it have steering brake?

No. Not much for brakes at all. Drop the moldboard and she'll stop right there though.

Transport would be the hard part.

Transport would be the hard part.
Yep. How long is it and weight? I know a guy with a dovetail flatbed gooseneck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom