1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need a Lift......

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Gauge, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Gauge

Gauge

I consider myself a somewhat car savy guy. I have rebuilt a few engines and even restored a few old cars. Unfortunately I know very little about lifting a vehicle and sometimes knowing a little is worse than knowing nothing at all. BTW - I would like to install this lift on my 80 Series Land Cruiser.

I think there are 3 different kinds of lifts (maybe more - don't know!): 1. Spring Spacers 2. Body Lift 3. Suspension Lift

What are the advantages / disadvantages of each? Is there a big price difference between the 3?

If you lift a vehicle via spring spacers or a suspension lift, theoretically, wouldn't you also have to extend the brake lines, steering rods and drive shafts?

Also, for every 1" you lift a vehicle, doesn't that mean that you can increase your tire diameter by 2"?

I am not looking for a HUGE lift, maybe just 2 inches or so, which I estimate after increasing to larger tires will increase the height of the vehicle by 5 inches or so.

Seems like everyone on this board has a lift, so I figured I would ask before making a decision on limited information that I would later regret. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

If you hurry, you can PM a guy in the know by the handle -Stuck in GA .. before he takes off to school!

Rest of us don't know jack s***e .. :rolleyes:

TY

3. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Tech!!!!!!!!!

Where The Hell Are The Mods, Damnit?????????????

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

you don't have to worry about driveshafts because your locating arms stay the same length for small lifts..

for 2 inch lift you don't need extended brake lines i don't think.

coil lift and spring spacer lift has the same effect. lifts the whole lot including the chassis and engine/ gearbox... coil lift is more expensive than a spacer.... don't know the ins and outs of that

body lift is probably cheapest, nets you clearance for bigger tires, but your drivetrain, and chassis doesn't get lifted... leaving it just as low hanging. this type of lift results in less of an increase in your center of gravity as the heavy stuff is left as is.

the body lift works by putting blocks between the mounting points on the chassis and the body. some makes need steering column work and brake line/ cooling line work too. and also sometimes require work to the shifters.

post up what tire size your planning on running, it's pretty much sussed what these rigs can and can't run... especially when you trim a little from your guards. i know of an 80 series in Oz running 35's no lift

maybe ask in the 80 series tech section ;;)

5. Ocelot

Ocelot

Yeah ask this question in the 80 series tech, you will get much better replies. From the sounds of it you would probably want to get a "coil" lift. There are serveral good quality coil lifts avaliable for the 80 series