I need a front driveshaft! :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MD11Fr8Dog

CM09 Eight Ball winner
Threads
I knew I was going to need a new, longer travel driver shaft, but I wanted to see how easy it would be to get the drive shaft splines to separate! Sitting at rest there was about 1-1/2 inches of spline showing. So I take my 40 up onto one of my fields where I have some tree stumps. I found a decent size stump, and crawled up onto it. While I wasn't even close to full stuff, I was very pleased with the droop on the opposite side. I wasn't very surprised at the front drive shaft though, good thing I was only in rear wheel low!:eek:

IMG_1400.jpg

I drove it back up my driveway and removed the driveshaft. Now I need to replace it ith a long enough shaft with enough travel. I was reading Woody's SOA write-up, since my setup is very similar to his, to get an idea of what I need to do. In his write, he lifts the front off the ground with his Hi Lift and measures the flange to flange distance, and does the same with the front wheels on the ground to get the difference. He figured 2 inches for compression and came up with 7in. Sounds pretty straight forward. I'm using a double cardan at the tcase, anything else to consider? Any suggestions on where to get one made? Anything else?

Thanks

Howdy! While it certainly isn't ideal, I am still running my original front driveshaft on my SOA Piggy. I also have a DC at the transfer case end. I just had it re-tubed a few inches longer. I just figured out where the flange to flange would be when the springs were completely flat. That is the farthest back the axle can go without breaking something, and I had the shaft made so when it was fully compressed, it was 1 inch shorter that the shortest possible flange to flange distance. Works pretty good for over 10 years. I did have it seperate once on an extreme bounce in a really dumb situation I should not have put myself in. I very foolishly listened to someone else and trusted them more than my instincts. My Bad!! Someday when my Cup runneth over with $$$ I will get a custom long spline built. I thought Manafre used to carry one, but I have not looked for it in years. John

I had that exact thing happen on my son's lifted Dodge. I had the stock drive shaft lengthened and rebuilt with new u-joints and balanced for $150 by standard parts in Richmond, VA. I just measured flange to flange while the truck was at rest, and the shaft fit and worked perfectly. I plan on doing this again when my 40 SOA is done.

Sean, will FedEx ship that thing?;)

I had mine retubed for $35@ A local mud buggy racer who owns a fabrication shop did it.

Just sayin'

Ed

Sean, will FedEx ship that thing?;)

I had mine retubed for $35@ A local mud buggy racer who owns a fabrication shop did it.

Just sayin'

Ed

Ed, they sure will, and since I now get 75% off Express and 50% Ground.....:D

I'm looking locally right now (well, not today on Easter, hmm, nor tomorrow since I'm bass fishing with a neighbor:rolleyes:) locally, and will be checking with some of the local 4 wheeling clubs (I need a "friendly" inspection station too!;)). Tehre are plenty of NASCAR wannabees around here, I'm sure I can find a shop!

I had that exact thing happen on my son's lifted Dodge. I had the stock drive shaft lengthened and rebuilt with new u-joints and balanced for $150 by standard parts in Richmond, VA. I just measured flange to flange while the truck was at rest, and the shaft fit and worked perfectly. I plan on doing this again when my 40 SOA is done.

Yea, I could just measure at rest, but I think I will need a long travel spline!

BTW - I used to live near Short Pump, across the street and 4-5 houses down from the Tuckahoe Little League entrance.

1.5" showing is too much. That said, even if you had the shaft the right length, you still probably would not have enough slip travel.

I made a square tube shaft for my front, been running it for about 3 years now. Cheap, indestructable, works well.

I've driven in front wheel drive up to 45-50 mph with it when my rear shaft pretzeled, and it was fine.

I've also seen some shafts made using tractor PTO splines. If I was not a hack, this is what I would do.

all pro sells a long travel weld in kit. Will have to change to the old style (3 speed) flange on the tranfer case I think its a 7 inch had to put it on my front to allow for more compression with my shackle reversal

Good ideas so far, thanks!

Good ideas so far, thanks!
Howdy! My stock slip joint sits at about 2.5" longer than max compression when parked, and I have never bottomed it out. My springs have at least as much, or more, arch as yours in the pic. John

Howdy! My stock slip joint sits at about 2.5" longer than max compression when parked, and I have never bottomed it out. My springs have at least as much, or more, arch as yours in the pic. John

Bottoming out was not the issue!;)

Howdy! My point is that by setting it up at that length, it neither bottoms out or comes apart when I beat on it out in the rocks. John

How much spline is NOT showing when parked? And that driveshaft I used is not my stock. It was pieced together from some stuff I had that came with the FJ60 double carden joint I got from someone. I think my, been a while, so its hard to remember, stock front driveshaft is now my rear driveshaft.;)

How much spline is NOT showing when parked? And that driveshaft I used is not my stock. It was pieced together from some stuff I had that came with the FJ60 double carden joint I got from someone. I think my, been a while, so its hard to remember, stock front driveshaft is now my rear driveshaft.;)
Howdy! OK, now I understand why it just didn't quite look right in the pic. To look at yours on the tubed side, not the flanged side, I would have about 2.5" showing on the smooth section between the splined area and the tube body when parted. Which is all pretty much moot, as now I know that your parts and my parts ain't the same parts. Duh, silly me. I should of noticed the difference. So, depending on the length of the splined section, and the depth of the female end, my setup may well not be possible on your rig. Hey, I know, you could just try a custom made long splined shaft? John

There was an article in Toyota Trails in 2007 about building driveshafts using the tractor PTO shafts. They looked pretty stout, with lots of travel.

Rocky

Sean, measure flange-to-flange and send that prick to me...after you get estimates from others;) After all, it is a front drive shaft, isn't it?

Ed

Sean, measure flange-to-flange and send that prick to me...after you get estimates from others;) After all, it is a front drive shaft, isn't it?

Ed

Its a driveshaft I had from some parts lying around my garage! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom