I Need a CB & Attenna..what do you suggest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want/need to get a CB and antenna for trail rides.

I have a aftermarket single din stereo..so i have a "pocket" in my dash where a cb would fit nicely.

Can anyone suggest a good brand/model? ???
I dont need the "balls out" :D model..just the basic unit.

Also..i need to get an antenna. I was thinking about one of the real big ones that bend mounted to my rear bumper.

Can anyone let me know the pros/cons of the bigger antennas and any suggestions on mounting? ???

thanks..and i think i like this forum a lot.

later,
-Joe- :p

Joe-

A Uniden 510, which is a basic model, of good quality and about $50 will fit in the spot where your ash tray is on an 80 series. There are install instructions on Slee's site.

If you are able to use a more rigid antenna, the Firestick's are of excellent quality, $15 for a four footer. I put a quick disconnect on so I can take if off easily to fit in my garage.

I just did this set up a couple of weeks ago and I like it alot.

I've got the Rat Shack copy of the Uniden in my ashtray slot and like it a lot there. Done again I would buy the Uniden, though. It's fine for trail rides, but that's about it. I've been through a few firesticks due to parking garages. I'm moving it off my tire carrier and up to the ARB when it gets here next week with a quick disconnect. It was on the front bumper until I built the tire carrier.
The big, big whip antennas are not allowed on some trail rides, IIRC, and would be a PIA most of the time anyway.

I have the cobra all in one unit where the speaker is also the mic. Not bad, but not super. I like it 'cause I have it mounted so the mic comes up between the d seat and the console. When not in use, no one even knows it there. I think it's the 75 or something like that.

Junk,

It's a Cobra 75 WX ST. I have one too and mine lives right where you said. I like mine alot. They are not cheap though. I think I paid about $125.00 +/- for mine. The upc code is 2837790233. They also have NOAA weather channels.

Regards...Dan

Hey dude, I purchased a single din cdplayer, and a radiocrap 40 channel cb which is just a hair bigger then a single din, and am going to be mounting them in the dash soon(where the stock radio is). I'll let you know how it turns out, but from playing with it, it is going to look very nice. I have an 8 foot antenna i got from radio shack for $16 and basically what I know about cb's (which isnt too much) the bigger the antenna, the better reception you are going to get. And you may cast a stronger signal. Thats my idea.

-Bryan

Even tho i don't have a fjz80 or uzj100 on my FJ40 i run a cobra c.b. with a 4' K40 antenna that is mounted to my Grill guard. It works out real nice, put a nice soft spring on it and can kinda give you an idea how far you are leaning in a puckered situation :flipoff2:

Travis

I have the Cobra 75WX and as others have said, it's an OK CB. As expected the speaker isn't that great.

Probably more important than the CB is buying a good antenna (kind of like getting good speakers for a stereo). I have a mag mount fiberglas POS that I plan to replace with a Wilson 1000 antena (1/4 wave). Why? Well, I literally had my antenna fly off my truck due to the wind load at about 140km/h. Fortunately, I had given the antenna wire a few wraps on my roof rack or it would have really been ungly :-[

Not only do you need to buy a good antenna, you also need to have the antenna tuned if you plan to use it for any distance.

Here is a link to a great summary on radios, antennas and how to tune: http://media-north.com/4wd/mtech.htm

Just ot keep the fire burning ;), if you want a real radio get your amateur radio licence (35 questions in the US and no Morse code to start) and buy a 2M mobile radio. 50 legal watts, clear FM communications, cover >25 mile direct or hundreds of miles using repeaters (or globally using Internet-linked repeaters), patch into the phone system, track your location and the location of others when linked ot a GPS, etc! (about 4 weeks until I write my exam...)

Cheers, Hugh

I have the cobra all in one unit where the speaker is also the mic.  Not bad, but not super.
I have the Cobra 75 WX ST and I wouldn't recommend it. The little in mic speaker sucks, for that matter I suspect the built in itsy bitsy mic sucks too. I recently added an external speaker and it sounds much better.

It still has a "scratchy pot". It's scratchy when you roll the volume on/off up/down. The weather feature is a novelty but pretty useless for me. I have a firestik on the bull bar and it works good. It's on a flex mount so I can bend it over and tuck into the bull bar if necessary for garages.

The ability to hide the "all in one" seems pretty useless too if you leave the antenna on the bull bar or put a mic mount on top the dash like me. ::)

On the other hand, I've have a Uniden 510 pro (cheap) in my FJ60 with a K40 on the roof and like it better than the Cobra.

Just my two cents...

>> Just ot keep the fire burning , if you want a real radio get your amateur radio licence (35 questions in the US and no Morse code to start) and buy a 2M mobile radio. 50 legal watts, clear FM communications, cover >25 mile direct or hundreds of miles using repeaters (or globally using Internet-linked repeaters), patch into the phone system, track your location and the location of others when linked ot a GPS, etc! (about 4 weeks until I write my exam...) --

In support of Hugh's remarks on communications, Ham Radio is to CB what Cruisers are to Heeps. Like all things worth having, it's a lot more trouble, takes a greater effort, and will likely cost more.

I am just finishing up a dual battery system to support, in part, a HF/VHF setup (including 2 meters as Hugh suggests). For anyone who is interested in pursuing this (read: getting a license), I'll be glad to help point folks in the right direction, as best I can.

Cheers!

-R-

...I am just finishing up a dual battery system to support, in part, a HF/VHF setup (including 2 meters as Hugh suggests)...
-R-

Para, we'll have to set-up a Cruiser net using IRLP :D or if I can just hold out and get the Icom 706...

Cheers, Hugh (Cellular'd, CB'd and soon to be 2M'd)

Hugh, Ron,

BUT Ya can't say "Good buddy"........

CB is trashy, I admit. I have marine VHF in my boat, It's a world of difference......... ::)

BUT Ya can't say "Good buddy"...

You can...[br]
but you may as well stand on top of your truck at an 80's only run shouting, [glow=red,2,300]Heeps Rule![/glow] :D

-R-

I heard from ham guys and radio techs at my old unit to get the best antenna you can afford, and get a radio with whatever you have left. I've put my Wilson 1000 mag mount on other guy's roofs, and they've gotten big performance improvements. The magnet is incredibly strong, will not blow off as I've had others do. I've hit several birds with it on the highway, one gave it a gentle kink.

My radio is a Uniden 510XL. I had it "tweaked", turned up the output a bit. The tech said it's got the same basic guts as the big Unidens, easy to work on and boost. Mine has resided in the door pockets of my last three cars. It fits nicely, is easy to reach, and the speaker is mostly exposed. I use it and the antenna elsewhere occasionally, it's easy to move. The power and coax go up under the dash, out of the way.

Radio guys: I have a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit, required as a pilot. I use UHF, VHF, HF on the job. What all does this permit allow me to do?

Ron,

I would NEVER stand on my roof, it would mar the finish.
I most likely would switch to my chicken band PA speaker and deliver it in that fashion. Seated in the driving position, engine running, in gear, power-braked, ready to LAUNCH............................... :eek:

...Radio guys:  I have a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit, required as a pilot.  I use UHF, VHF, HF on the job.  What all does this permit allow me to do?...

I'm by no means an expert (especially on US regs), but I believe that this is only a commercial radio lic (Air) and would not allow you to use the Amateur Radio bands (e.g., I have both my marine and air radio lic, but I still need an amateur lic). However, given that the test is a 35 question multiple choice, you could probably write the test and pass it now, or with a bit of studying!

Cheers, Hugh

Joe,
Here's a little different perspective and another option.

Since my only use for a CB is for club runs I elected the low budget approach. Paid a visit to a local pawn shop and checked out their CB options. I was looking for a hand held and they had several. They also had a box with 2 identical Radio Shack 40 channel CB's and two mag mount antennas. I bought the lot for $20. Pawn shops have a LOT of CB's and will deal; basically they'll take whatever you will offer.

The mag mounts sucked big time. I rigged up a couple of Yakima mighty mounts to the factory rack and to the antenna and it worked beautifully. Good range, good reception, no way the antenna could get knocked off, and easy to remove with a couple of wing nuts holding the antenna to the rack. Ran the coax through the rear hatch, under the Husky liner up to the e-brake area. Put the CB next to the e-brake and plugged the power into the cigarette lighter. Total set up and take down time is less than 5 minutes. Spare antenna and spare CB for a total of $20. Visit your pawn shop.

To do it right though, you should get the Wilson 1000 mag mount.

-B-
(4 paragraphs)

WE DEMAND FOUR GENUINE PARAGRAPHS!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Given that we're all equipment junkies, here a are a few pics to increase your interest:

First, this is my hand held amateur radio. It literally fits in the palm of my hand, 5W, dual receiver and transmitter which allows me to monitor and scan two different sets of freq and transmit on both in the amateur radio bands (I can also use this feature to transmit my signal to a satelite which can be bounced all over the place). It has full scanning capabilities for amateur radio freq (VHF, UHF and HF), marine and air freq, AM/FM radio stations (and TV!), police/fire/ambulance, etc. This unit will easily hit repeaters within a reasonable range that will then broadcast my signal 100's of miles or allow me to patch into the phone system and place a call in places where cell coverage is poor to nothing - try that with a Chicken Broadcaster!

LinkPhoto

The next picture shows a hand held unit that is attached to a PDA with software to plot the location of other radio stations

LinkPhoto

This picture shows a couple of screen shots from a mobile radio (first lists other stations that the radio is tracking, second shows location and third is an email sent to the other station)

LinkPhoto

Then, others can use the Internet to track your position ('....oh, NOW I see where you're stuck, I'll be right there!') using generic maps (other sites allow you to just search for your station at a very detailed level (useful to track your truck if it's stolen and you have the equipment hidden)

LinkPhoto

Eventually, you will end up with this kind of rig (in a *ummer)

LinkPhoto

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers, Hugh

Wow, that Hummer even has a fish finder in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom