I need a boat-advice wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want/need a boat. Looking for an all around fun family fawk around boat. Thinking of a 19' open bow maxum or something to that effect. I want to be able to drag the kids around on tubes, ski, wakeboard etc... Primarily for lake use, maybe see a little time in the sound on calm sunny days.

19' big enough? Lots of what I am finding are 3.0 ltr. I would prefer a v6 or even a v8. More horsepower the better. The 3.0 liter is only around 130-135 hp. Also kicking around the idea of getting something bigger that I can still drag the kids around with but that is also a little more sea worthy so we can do a little island hopping up here. I want something a couple years old (I don't buy anything new, let some other schmo take the hit) but not older then a 95 at the most.

You guys that own boats, what do you have and what should you have gotten or what do you like about what you have. Looking to do this in the next couple weeks if I can find one I like that's not over priced (peak season and all).

I cannot comment on the boat part, the specific needs for your type of water is better answeared by someone on the west coast.

i can give you engine advise if you want an outboard. Yamaha, 4 stroke, fuel injected, Honda are nice to. All other brands SUCK! do not waste your money. This comment was based on all around general use.

don't know much about this but I do recall from waterskiing years ago that it was a pain to get up if the engine wasn't powerful enough. Don't recall what powerful enough is though...
But that seems an important point.

That engine is probally big enuf - you can always get a different prop for jumping up to speed, etc. If the boat is too big it might be a hassle dragging around, storing, etc. It really all depends on your needs. I would go with a good used boat, but you really need to figure out non-water stuff as well as what your water needs are. Boats sound great, until you have one, then you find out that you hardly use it and they are a pain in the ass to deal with. (in my experience) This is why I recommend used - you let someone else take the hit on value.

I have been looking at the same types of boats for 3-4 months now. Here is my take on this:

In the long run, you will not be happy with the 3.0. Go with a 4.3 or larger if possible. In my area, you see a lot of 3.0s for sales. This is b/c the owners are not happy with the performance.

I tend to like the bow riders with an outboard motor. They have a lot more room inside than a boat the same length with an I/O. The I/O takes up a lot of room.

Depending on how many people you want to carry, I suggest a 20' or larger. Also, for the most part, the larger boats have a deeper V which give a lot better ride.

Just my opinion.

I have an older Ski Nautique. It has a 5.7 liter (351) V8, which is plenty, but then again it is a ski boat, so that's what it's designed to do.

You might look at older ski boats like nautiques, mastercrafts, etc. They are well built and really crude, simple machines, so there's not a lot of break. Just a hull and a big old engine. They are a little harder to manuever than a V-drive, but you get used to it.

19' is probably small for the Sound, especially with an open bow, but I suppose it depends on what part you are in. Those container ships throw a hell of a big roller.

I can't say if 3.0 is big enough. I suspect it is, but everyone I know has a ski boat with a herkin' big engine.

-Erik

You'll be ok in the 19'-21' range, but don't buy anything with less than a 4.3L in it ... you'll hate that little 3.0L 4 cyl. Just keep you eye out for any of the nicer boats (Sea Ray, 4Winns, Chaparral, Mariah, Wellcraft, etc.) a couple of years old. I'd steer away from Bayliner, Maxum, Larson type builders - not that they're bad boats, just don't seem to hold up as well in the long run. Definitely want an open-bow I/O from what you described -

Good luck!

Tucker

All I've ever heard from boat owners was that the two happiest days of their boat ownership lives was the day they bought the boat and the day they sold the damn thing! Other than that, I'm useless to your real question. Never owned a boat in my life.

I have a '93 Chaparral 1900 SLC that I have owned since new. It is powered by a Mercruiser 4.3 LX Chebby with a roller cam and a 4 barrel carb. The drive is an Alpha one. At higher altitude lakes (+5000 feet) the power is marginal and I have to prop way down to run good. It LOVES a 21 pitch stainless Stilleto on Lake Mead (about 1100 feet) and is damn fast. I have to run a 19 pitch Stilleto on Lake Powell (3650 feet) to get a good pull out of the hole for skiers. It will pull the 21 at that altitude but it is sluggish out of the hole. At sea level a 3.0 would be only adequate and if you go up hill at all you will be very dissapointed in the performance.

The newer extended plane Chaparrals offer a 5.0 V8 in the 19 foot hull. When I bought mine the biggest motor they would install was the 4.3 4bbl..:mad:

I measured the motor compartment and I could fit a 350 under the cowling and I may do that some day...... :idea:

D-

Nobody "needs" a boat, heh heh. Wellcraft or a Whaler in that size is what I've dreamed about--great for fishing, it can handle some big swells. And yes, bigger engine is better.

I don't own, I just dream.

4 strokes are sweet - so quiet - smooth

I've been thinking about getting a boat again myself. But my fiance and I have different ideas. She wants a nautique, I want a 17 foot whaler with an outboard. And I don't fish! I had a whaler when I was a kid and it was great, indestructable, and all you ever had to do was hose it out! Would be perfect for cruising around with the dog, spilling beer in, all that good stuff. I think we will likely wind up comprimising and buying a 4winns bowrider. Most likely an 18 footer, and definately at least a 4.3. I drove a 18-19 foot larson bowrider with a 3.0 and it was pathetic. No way could I wakeboard behind that thing.

what you need a place to dump money that you will never get it back? .........then yes then you need a boat :D

I have a 19ft localy made Tiderunner cuddy cabin, 130 Yahama(and 9.9 kicker)

tell ya what.........with the kids and wife.....a place to take a "leak" is pretty important...........us guys can just hang it off the side ;)

open bows in the sound are a poor choice IMOP.......pretty easy to take a wave over the bow. In a lake the open bow is fine

and outboard will give you more room in the boat, even more if its mounted a platform off the back(stern)

Outboards are spendy though..........looking at 8K++

I would sudjest a 22ft-ish with a cuddy cabin and 200+hp outboard.

cruiserdan said:
I have a '93 Chaparral 1900 SLC that I have owned since new. It is powered by a Mercruiser 4.3 LX Chebby with a roller cam and a 4 barrel carb. The drive is an Alpha one. At higher altitude lakes (+5000 feet) the power is marginal and I have to prop way down to run good. It LOVES a 21 pitch stainless Stilleto on Lake Mead (about 1100 feet) and is damn fast. I have to run a 19 pitch Stilleto on Lake Powell (3650 feet) to get a good pull out of the hole for skiers. It will pull the 21 at that altitude but it is sluggish out of the hole. At sea level a 3.0 would be only adequate and if you go up hill at all you will be very dissapointed in the performance.

The newer extended plane Chaparrals offer a 5.0 V8 in the 19 foot hull. When I bought mine the biggest motor they would install was the 4.3 4bbl..:mad:

I measured the motor compartment and I could fit a 350 under the cowling and I may do that some day...... :idea:

D-

But does it have sliders?

I learned how to ski behind a 18' trihaul bow rider with a 115 merc outboard. Kids are no problem skiing behind, wdad would pull us 2 at a tie till we were about 17 and on one ski. then it was a little rough, but could be done. It was better with 1 skier on one ski if over 100lbs.

My boat now is a 79 Sea Ray 250 inline 6. IO. I havn't skied behind it, but wakebord was no problem. Kneeboard start barefoot was barely fast enough for me at 155lbs. Spray from feet in the face not below croch like it should. but that was with 3 people in the boat. A new prop would prob hit the right speed. But it's not a bow rider

For kids get a bow rider. V haul rides better. Outboards have more power to wieght. I also recomend swivle captains chairs oppsed to the back to back that lay down.

Nope, it's got a rub rail though...:D (That damn near got knocked off last year in a surprise storm..:eek:

Look for adjustable trim tabs, these can sometime supplement a smaller engine in getting the boat faster on plane for pulling a skier out of the water. Older ski boats are nice but don't have a lot of room.

If this is your first boat, buy a used one cheap to learn on for the first year, sell it off and buy what you are looking for after owning one for a year. You may find it's a hassle or you may find you want a 30 footer.

Kelly

It really depends on how you want to use your boat. My boat is a little (16.5 foot) open bow with the little 4 cylinder merc and it pulls me ok. Or I guess I should say it usually pulls me ok. Right now it is giving me serious grief. See by boat problem thread:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72397

I shouldn't complain to much, the boat has been relatively trouble free for the last ten years. One thing I would say is don't just focus on a boat's length, look at the coast guard rating for the amount of people it can legally hold. Mine only holds 6. That is really not enough. If you have a lot of friends or kids, you really want to hold more people. I would say get one that holds at least 10.

The other thing to consider is the whole outboard versus I/O versus v-drive versus inboard debate. It really comes down to how you are going to use your boat. I like my I/O, but I have been thinking that my next boat will be an inboard. Malibu, Correct Craft, Mastercraft. They are supposed to be better performance watersport boats. One the other hand, I/Os are considerably cheaper for some reason.

Jared

Hmmm boats, prolly the only more opininated subject than stock Cruisers vs modified.

Do lots of homework, have a realistic budget set when shopping, know the brands inside and out....basically the same as buying an older Cruiser, know what yer looking at.

One style will not do everything and what works where you are won't here. I've owned several boats and know from experience what I need from a boat. Used boats can be a great deal or a nightmare. Bayliners suck, Mariner and Force outboards suck. Check the wiring, hull, transom thoroughly, has all the hourly service schedules been completed? It is a very detailed list to go thru and a replacement lower unit or powerhead can be costly. Iboats is a good site to start, but everybody believes their brand is best.

Maybe look to a marine surveyor or a knowledgable friend for help. I have actually downsized over the years and currently own a 17' Cobia center console with an 80 Yami, prolly the best setup I've ever had for the backwater fishing I do.

Whatever you do, don't impulse buy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom