I may have finally gone and done it... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There was a beautiful Rustic Green FJ40 on Craigslist the other day. Looked too good to be true but the price seemed fitting so i rolled the dice. Hit up the seller and he seemed cool so I called the bank to see what-if. Turns out the bank is totally cool with me buying an old fj so I met with the buyer today and took the rig for a test run.

I went all through it with what knowledge I have. Light surface rust but its a frame off resto so it was damn clean. Paint was a little dull but it was even, if matted a bit (possible intentional). Frame was good, engine was immaculate, greese in the right spots, no rust on the fenders, tub or rear door area. A little light surface rusting on the steps and along the rain channel on the roof (its a hard top) but the entire underside was dry in all the right places. No leaking or wipe marks from the engine, tranny and drive line looked clean (not freahly wiped to hide things, but not caked or dripping, just right).

Owner is a fellow fed-type so I felt comfortable enough with him and he seemed ok. We chatted price and settled and, satisfied we shook hands. Waiting for the bank-issued check to arrive (5-7 biz days?!?!?!) but unless there's some catastrophe, it looks like I'll be the proud owner of a 1970 FJ40 in the coming week or so.

As a relative noob (ive had jeeps, fjc's, hiluxes and tacomas but never an fj40) I may be leaning on you guys if and when things go bang-rattle-rattle. Anyway, I look forward to geting more active in the fj groups around town and hope to see you all soon. Will post pics and vids if and when possible!

Now...my wife...she might be a little sore with me for a while. Any advice on that front would be great as well!

Pics:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Btw I think I got the wife handled. I promised her Christmas in Italy next year. Gonna have to sell a kidney or two to get through this one. Tell me it's worth it, lol!

Bezel was rusty and upside down so i popped it off, rust busted it and threw on a coat of paint.

image.png

Congrats & welcome! :flipoff2:

Nice lookin rig! & good year too!

Disneyland would have been cheaper.......worked for me anyways!

Enjoy!

Rig looks good. How's it drive?
Drives great. Totally dry in all the right places, good gear engagement in R, 1,2,&3 (shes a three speed). Factory hydrolic 4wd and onboard air (dunno if that was rare or not but I'm digging it) engages smoothly. Drives a lot like the old John Deere I learned on when I was 12, actuall and at about the same top speed, lol. Takes some time to warm up and I gotta pump the clutch to get the slave going but onceshes warm and pumped it seems like all is well. Hasn't failed to atart or left me stranded yet, which is more than I can say for the majority of Jeeps I owned, but then I've only had her for a week.

Congrats & welcome! :flipoff2:

Nice lookin rig! & good year too!

Disneyland would have been cheaper.......worked for me anyways!

Enjoy!
Thanks! We do a yearly Disney trip as we're in San Fiego and tickets are cheap through MWR. Ive never been to Italy, but she's been 7 times so it's a win-win for me. It's gonna cost me airfare, hotel and an expensive dress but it's a plane I'llget to ride, a hotel I'll get to sleep in and a dress I'll get to take off my wife, so I call it a bargain!

Ha ha. Sorry I've been meaning to reply. Good looking 40.

Lots of local guys with lots of knowledge and some parts hoarders in SoCal.

When do you take delivery?
Speaking of parts, my list is growing. Looking for:

Jumpseats
Bows
Soft top

I like the look of the hard top but would give it up in a second for bows and canvas (or some soft top alternative.)

She had some janky, bs, slap together seats bolted in but I stripped those out and would love jump seats. I wanna go topless and doorless but don't have the storage space to put the hard top anywhere.

Looks great. Congrats. I think I may have seen this around town.

I used to have one just like it - a 74. The top can come off in sections so you can just lean it up against the garage wall without taking up too much space. Would love to get back into a rig like that some day.

Enjoy Italy.

I used to have one just like it - a 74. The top can come off in sections so you can just lean it up against the garage wall without taking up too much space. Would love to get back into a rig like that some day.

Enjoy Italy.

Enjoy Italy.

I thought it might! I'm gonna have to toy with it over the weekend and see if I can get it stripped down and stowed.

Speaking of parts, my list is growing. Looking for:

Jumpseats
Bows
Soft top

I like the look of the hard top but would give it up in a second for bows and canvas (or some soft top alternative.)

She had some janky, bs, slap together seats bolted in but I stripped those out and would love jump seats. I wanna go topless and doorless but don't have the storage space to put the hard top anywhere.

Nice 40.
I have a used bestop soft top and some bows taking up space you can have. If your interested I can take a few pictures if you want to see condition. Just have to get them outta storage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom