I love head.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
...Gasket issues.

So I finally did the combustion gas test and it's official... the head gasket (at least) is toast. :bang: I'm actually not as pissed as i thought i'd be as I now finally know what's been going on with the coolant, smoke, and slight miss issues I'd been having.

So I am now on the hunt for a rebuildable 3B. I remember people having an opinion about the 3B heads and cracking... I sort of remeber people ahd found a good replacment that resisted cracking more than stock... Should I just invest in a new (supposed to be better manufacture and resist cracking better) head, or just rebuild the one on the engine if it is not cracked?

Thanks all!

...Gasket issues.

So I finally did the combustion gas test and it's official... the head gasket (at least) is toast. :bang: I'm actually not as pissed as i thought i'd be as I now finally know what's been going on with the coolant, smoke, and slight miss issues I'd been having.

So I am now on the hunt for a rebuildable 3B. I remember people having an opinion about the 3B heads and cracking... I sort of remeber people ahd found a good replacment that resisted cracking more than stock... Should I just invest in a new (supposed to be better manufacture and resist cracking better) head, or just rebuild the one on the engine if it is not cracked?

Thanks all!

Open it first and see. You don't know if the head is cracked, or need any work at all.

Is it a 2B or a 3B in your 44 I thought it had a 2B

I have the 2B engine. I am looking for a 3B as the 2B are hard to find. I am planning on rebuilding a 3B and moving my turbo over and then swapping it in. I will then take the 2B apart. Unfortunately, i am in the process of making the 44 my daily driver (anyone want a really nice Audi A3?) and can't afford to have it sitting with the head off chasing issues and rebuilding while I need to drive it.

It may just be a gasket, but if not then i'm off of the road for a while. This way I can minimize downtime and upgrade to the oil squirters that will help the motor with my turbo on it. If the 2B was fine, I'd run it.

The other reason is this way I can really baseline my engine. with the head fixed, who knows what will have issues down the 'weak-link' line. If I rebuild an engine I can know wxactly what's up with the engine. Also, the 1981 2B is basically a 3B with different pistons, liners, rods, head, bock and crank. Everything else down to the head cover and the water pump are 3B so i will have a great store of spares!

screw it, stick a 13BT in and call it a day...
talk to Dave at Japan 4X4 or look for a rolled BJ74 in Canada for parts.

screw it, stick a 13BT in and call it a day...
talk to Dave at Japan 4X4 or look for a rolled BJ74 in Canada for parts.

X2 the 13BT, between having the benefit of more advanced tech on your side, the 13BT's also factory turboed, and is designed to put up with much of the abuse the early B-series diesels didn't care for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom