I Know Nothing About Car Audio, Please Help Me Learn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Components are worse for imaging, not better. But components let you put the tweeter higher up and more equidistant to the ears which can be nice. So they're a fair trade off in this game
If you have a clear path from the speaker to the listener, I can get on board with that, but in a car that coax speaker is probably pointing the tweeter at the driver's knee (or maybe hipif it's an angled tweeter). I've seen some elaborate custom fab panels that point the speaker back up to the listener, but in a factory install I'm not sure you could get away from horribly off-axis tweeters in a coax speaker. Seems like that'd kill imaging. :shurg: In the sail it's still not perfect, but much closer I think.

I've never listed to a good coax system in car so maybe I'm just naïve?

If you have a clear path from the speaker to the listener, I can get on board with that, but in a car that coax speaker is probably pointing the tweeter at the driver's knee (or maybe hipif it's an angled tweeter). I've seen some elaborate custom fab panels that point the speaker back up to the listener, but in a factory install I'm not sure you could get away from horribly off-axis tweeters in a coax speaker. Seems like that'd kill imaging. :shurg: In the sail it's still not perfect, but much closer I think.

I've never listed to a good coax system in car so maybe I'm just naïve?
Correct - Im being pedantic but just pointing out that coax speakers aren't bad, and in fact the point source nature is actually good for imaging under ideal mounting conditions but in the real world it's the tweeter at your knee that's less than ideal for imaging

Rear doors have been Dynamat-ed and speakers are installed. I didn’t do what I was told and wasted a few extra bucks on the Maximo Ultra 602’s. I got a decent Black Friday deal on them and I’m a matchy matchy sort of guy. The front speakers came with a Metra 72-9301 wiring "harness" that easily adapts the Morel speakers to the factory speaker mount. The rears did not come with them for some reason but it was obvious that they would also work. Best Buy had the adapters in stock and made installation a breeze.
3EA709D1-9152-474B-B416-CD6B1DB1794E.jpeg
6C03E54D-3AC7-4C43-B7F1-6FACF243AB64.jpeg

The new Kicker sub has arrived, waiting on another shipment of Dynamat for the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTV
Rear doors have been Dynamat-ed and speakers are installed. I didn’t do what I was told and wasted a few extra bucks on the Maximo Ultra 602’s. I got a decent Black Friday deal on them and I’m a matchy matchy sort of guy. The front speakers came with a Metra 72-9301 wiring "harness" that easily adapts the Morel speakers to the factory speaker mount. The rears did not come with them for some reason but it was obvious that they would also work. Best Buy had the adapters in stock and made installation a breeze.
View attachment 2525573View attachment 2525574
The new Kicker sub has arrived, waiting on another shipment of Dynamat for the rear.
where does the sub mount at?? Im working on my LC HJ61...radio, all speakers.....reading up on this thread..

where does the sub mount at?? Im working on my LC HJ61...radio, all speakers.....reading up on this thread..

Behind the left rear trim panel.

Update: I thought I could get away with my simple solution to mounting the Kicker sub but it seems to be contacting the inside of the trim panel and causing vibrations. I’ll have to sink it into the box like others have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom