1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know my shocks are toast-"rub" in front end

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mattcobb, Nov 28, 2003.

1. mattcobb

mattcobb

I know that my shocks are done for and need replacing. I notice a "rub" sound from my front end when the wheel is turned while I am changing from one surface to another. Example - wheel turned and going from steep driveway to street. It does not happen (I believe) while going up/down quickly and traveling straight. The sound happens only when I "impact" the elevation change and one quick rubbing sound (for lack of a better description). Is it just shocks / springs / shackles or something more sinister. The steering never feels anything odd, all smooth. The tires track straight and the brakes perform in a straight line (unless one is wet) Thanks

PS Does not sound like a tir rub -- metallic sounding / chirp--poor description I know...Thanks

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never heard a shock make a "rub" sound, possible I guess, more likely your tire(s) are making contact somewhere: fender, spring......
    Change your tires lately, suspension sagging more???? I'd look here first.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I'd vote for tires rubbing due to sagging springs. Or, you have wrong backspace on your rims. Or, a combination.

4. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

It's most likely that your Dampers are bent. - It's becouse of the way in winch they're mounted and there's excessive forward and backwards movement. :-[

The better type of mounting is like on most Light Commercial Vehicles, Where one sides Damper goes forward and the other sides rearward. - I guess a Tacoma would use this system. :cheers:

5. mwalls54

mwalls54 Cruiser Nutjob SILVER Star

i had the exact same problem on my 74 and i replaced the shocks and i havn't noticed it yet. so i think that was my problem.

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Did you check spring bushings?