I know my shocks are toast-"rub" in front end

I know that my shocks are done for and need replacing. I notice a "rub" sound from my front end when the wheel is turned while I am changing from one surface to another. Example - wheel turned and going from steep driveway to street. It does not happen (I believe) while going up/down quickly and traveling straight. The sound happens only when I "impact" the elevation change and one quick rubbing sound (for lack of a better description). Is it just shocks / springs / shackles or something more sinister. The steering never feels anything odd, all smooth. The tires track straight and the brakes perform in a straight line (unless one is wet) Thanks

PS Does not sound like a tir rub -- metallic sounding / chirp--poor description I know...Thanks

I've never heard a shock make a "rub" sound, possible I guess, more likely your tire(s) are making contact somewhere: fender, spring......
Change your tires lately, suspension sagging more???? I'd look here first.

Yeah, I'd vote for tires rubbing due to sagging springs. Or, you have wrong backspace on your rims. Or, a combination.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Website
Jonathan-Ferguson.tk
It's most likely that your Dampers are bent. - It's becouse of the way in winch they're mounted and there's excessive forward and backwards movement. :-[

The better type of mounting is like on most Light Commercial Vehicles, Where one sides Damper goes forward and the other sides rearward. - I guess a Tacoma would use this system. :cheers:

mwalls54

Cruiser Nutjob
SILVER Star
i had the exact same problem on my 74 and i replaced the shocks and i havn't noticed it yet. so i think that was my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom