I know my shocks are toast-"rub" in front end

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mattcobb, Nov 28, 2003.

1. mattcobb

mattcobb

I know that my shocks are done for and need replacing. I notice a "rub" sound from my front end when the wheel is turned while I am changing from one surface to another. Example - wheel turned and going from steep driveway to street. It does not happen (I believe) while going up/down quickly and traveling straight. The sound happens only when I "impact" the elevation change and one quick rubbing sound (for lack of a better description). Is it just shocks / springs / shackles or something more sinister. The steering never feels anything odd, all smooth. The tires track straight and the brakes perform in a straight line (unless one is wet) Thanks

PS Does not sound like a tir rub -- metallic sounding / chirp--poor description I know...Thanks

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never heard a shock make a "rub" sound, possible I guess, more likely your tire(s) are making contact somewhere: fender, spring......
    Change your tires lately, suspension sagging more???? I'd look here first.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I'd vote for tires rubbing due to sagging springs. Or, you have wrong backspace on your rims. Or, a combination.

4. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

It's most likely that your Dampers are bent. - It's becouse of the way in winch they're mounted and there's excessive forward and backwards movement. :-[

The better type of mounting is like on most Light Commercial Vehicles, Where one sides Damper goes forward and the other sides rearward. - I guess a Tacoma would use this system. :cheers:

5. mwalls54

mwalls54 Cruiser Nutjob SILVER Star

i had the exact same problem on my 74 and i replaced the shocks and i havn't noticed it yet. so i think that was my problem.

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Did you check spring bushings?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.