I knew better... my Heater Valve saga.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

peytonkristen

SILVER Star
Threads
I usually buy only Toyota parts for my Landcruisers, with some exceptions. July of 2020 found me in an O'Reillys parking lot with antifreeze pouring on the ground from under the hood of my 97 model. After a quick inspection I found the heater control valve had blown up. No problem. I blocked off the heater hose, added antifreeze and got back home. Got on the interweb and tried to find a new part. Well.... and this is where I knew better... I could get a new Toyota part for about $70 and it wouldn't be here for over a week... OR... I could get one for less than $20 from Rockauto in 2 days!! So on the third day I'm installing the new valve, my LC is whole again, and all is right with the world. Until winter sets in and I discover I have.... some heat.. but not like the hellish type of heat I previously had. I pretty much froze through unusually low Temps for the winter. But my A/C worked great. So I'm thinking I have another issue, maybe heater core? Or maybe some kind of heat control issue? Maybe an air pocket? So I start troubleshooting and can't find anything wrong but still only a little heat. So a couple weeks ago I source a new TOYOTA heater control valve. I pull the Rock Auto valve and compare the two. It appears the non-toyota part had the ball valve in backwards so open is almost completely closed and closed is partially open. WOW.... The new valve works perfect now and I have heat. I knew better....
Screenshot_20211230-065137_Firefox.jpg

20211229_163446.jpg

I call that a low cost lesson. You had crappy heat for one winter, not a bad price to pay to learn to go OEM. It could have left you stranded, overheated and grenaded your head gasket, ruined a long planned family vacation that you saved up time and money for, etc. Good job not ignoring the problem, and getting back in there to check things out.

At least when it comes to cooling, it's OEM or nothing for me - I've learned my lesson. But I will admit to being a Rockauto frequent flyer, too. Just depends on the part.

Interesting find. I like to see how things work so before I replaced a heater valve recently I looked into the (OEM) valve while moving the lever and could see how the valve opened and closed (correctly).

So maybe another lesson learned (other than to use OEM parts) is to check the function of a part (if possible) before installation??

Good find for the rest of the forum to be aware.

Reactions: ppc
I recall early model years used a valve that operated in a different direction than later model years so as @Kernal suggests it's always best to verify operation of the part before installation even if you have an OEM part.

My 93 1fz heater valve finally started leaking. The plastic was falling apart in my hand when I took it off. I also bought a rock auto replacement. I have been thoroughly impressed. It's -37-40c now -35-40f. She functions great. No flow issues no leakage. The true test will be in 27 years to see if it lasts as long as my Toyota part. Major issue with any aftermarket part is quality control. Can't speak on the differences between 93-94 and 95-97.

I keep extra heater hose, antifreeze, duct tape, wool blankets and a few candles. Anything can happen in the cold. Stay warm.

My 93 1fz heater valve finally started leaking. The plastic was falling apart in my hand when I took it off. I also bought a rock auto replacement. I have been thoroughly impressed. It's -37-40c now -35-40f. She functions great. No flow issues no leakage. The true test will be in 27 years to see if it lasts as long as my Toyota part. Major issue with any aftermarket part is quality control. Can't speak on the differences between 93-94 and 95-97.

I keep extra heater hose, antifreeze, duct tape, wool blankets and a few candles. Anything can happen in the cold. Stay warm.
Good luck on that 27 years. We installed several of the generic units a few years ago. Heaters seemed to work OK here in Phoenix. BUT, since then we have seen several of them fail. Mine blew the top plate clear off at 75+ on the rush hour freeway, in JULY! We don't offer those anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom