I just want to change all my 1971 FJ40 drum brakes to disc. Information overload on how to do this. Everyone has a different opinion about it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do my brakes look. Is that a worn out brake shoe? I was just going to buy the $1200 disc brake conversion kit from JT Outfitters, but from what I've read on here, it not as easy as bolting everything it. Can someone that has made the conversion, tell me the easiest and best way to go about this? I really don't want to spend $1000 if I cant help it. My brakes are garbage. I'm done with drums.
0B49BECD-E476-407E-A750-41E4E709311D.jpeg

B3FF8E1D-4C62-465E-B01A-E616A791069C.jpeg

3187F460-CF99-4BA4-B5D4-52AEAFA9287E.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s all right here:

Everyone has a different opinion? Sure they do! That’s what makes the world go ‘round.

Read, research, decide. Pick a path and stay on it.

@Javadca20 I'd be shocked if you couldn't find an FJ40 front in the SF Bay Area with minimal effort.

You can take FJ40, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, or solid axle Toyota mini truck and use the knuckles out to convert the front of your axle over. Finding any of the above below $500 should be in the realm of possibility. Maybe call Valley Hybrids to see if they can help(@orangefj45 )

For the rear, it is a simple matter of buying brackets, getting 1/2 ton Chevy rotors and mill the center out to clear the rear axle shaft, then Chevy calipers (I forget exact model/year).

Then once you get all those in, you will need to tinker with your master OR replace it. Plus a proportioning valve.

I doubt you'll end up under $1k without a lot of luck finding deals.
X2 /\. I have mini knuckles, vented rotors and IFS calipers in front and @Poser rear disc setup. sounds complicated, but it’s not. Read up on it, pretty simple really. I’m quite happy with them and my 35’s.

I did the Man-a-Fre disk brake conversion kit on course spline front axles on my '72 40 - wheeled Moab on up to 4.5 rated trails for 10 years without problems, and all those yers in Arizona, too - the last trip saw a birf explosion at the Golden Crack, after that I switched to 60-series knuckles and outers, but haven't been back to Moab since :frown:

on the rear, I did the GM-type conversion the same year as the front, also as sold by Man-a-Fre at the time - there was some doing involved regarding the proportioning valve and adjusting brake power distribution to front/rear - I can dig out the old thread if you have an interest

Rears are easy. Poser brackets for the win.

Call Ron at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy. He will help you get set up right and may have the necessary parts also.
+1 408-842-3540

Let me muddy the waters.

What's really wrong with properly adjusted drum brakes?

giphy-2.gif

I have the JTO set up on my 40 and without a brake booster it stops as well or better then the drums ever did.

Keep the rear drums and do a FJ60 front conversion

Dyno

JT outfitters says their disc brake kit is a direct bolt on. I only need 1/4 spacers on the fronts for the brake calipers to clear. I’ve hear mixed reviews about their brake kit. It might make more sense to keep my rear drums and just do the front FJ60 conversion. I only need the knuckles from a FJ60 axle to make this happen?

I’m a member of the “keep it all Toyota” club, so the JTO solution was not for me. YMMV.

Good luck.

Ok so it seems that the consensus is that Poser is the dude to get rotors and brackets for the rear and then just buy Monte Carlo calipers. How do we contact Poser. Does he have an online store ?

JTO front disk brake kit is a custom non-oem solution designed by someone without an automotive engineering degree. Do you feel certain enough of their component quality to trust your life to it?

I would only trust the most critical safety system on my vehicle to an OEM design and manufacturer.

The same can be said of the rear conversion, but the potential for catastrophic failure is much less as the front brakes do most the work when braking as long as you have a dual circuit system.

Last edited:
That is the number I have for Steve aka Poser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom