I just took delivery of my first 100! Tell me I made the right decision. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took delivery of my 2001 LX470 137K. So far, no huge surprises. I had seen pictures and got a reasonably good description from the previous owner before buying it from California (I’m in Brooklyn, NY). The things I noticed on the drive home from the shipper include:

• We have an exhaust leak; I assume it's manifolds because the steering wheel is upside down. I think someone disconnected the steering column and put it back together after the job was denied.
  • Power mirrors do not work, but the power fold function does.
  • Sunroof is inoperable; this I already knew.
  • Dashboard brake light is on (need to investigate further).
  • Fuel door release mechanism is missing at the fuel door; not sure why, but I hope it is easily replaced.
Other than that, it seems fine. I have a year to get it road/adventure worthy, so that I will be bugging you all for occasional help. If anyone wants to chime in on this post and give any advice, I’d love it. I will follow up with pictures when possible.

Thanks

The brake light is either the parking brake lever switch or your brake fluid reservoir is low.

The brake light is either the parking brake lever switch or your brake fluid reservoir is low.
Gracias! Hopefully an easy fix. Once I get the wheels off the brakes will tell their own story. I appreciate the reply.

Congrats. On my 99 the power windows ended up being that the switch simply wasn't plugged in. I assume someone had that panel off and forgot.
Cali rig to NY; slather it in fluid film before winter!

She needs a bath but no rust! Long-term project for me and my college-bound son.

IMG_8343.jpeg

IMG_4966.jpeg

IMG_4965.jpeg

IMG_4972.png

Nice find! Do yourself a favor and hit up the FAQ and the New owners threads in the 100's section and read every one. Then get acquainted with the SEARCH feature. It truly is your friend. Oh and the official "MUD welcome :flipoff2:"

Steering wheel probably just needs the VGRS set; drive straight at 25mph and turn the wheel lock to lock.
(I believe (US market) VGRS is 2003-2007 LX470.)

you made a good decision choosing from california/west coast 100 series...the limited rust and corrosion will prove to be a huge advantage for all and any maintenance you will need to be doing...I lived in western NY and new england for 45 years before moving to san francisco area where I found a 2001 LC, my first landcruiser and have REALLY enjoyed working on it even at twenty plus years old it all comes apart and goes back together as it should! it is nothing like working on even a ten year old vehicle from salt country...you and your son will have a great time making that thing run right...I have no idea about why the steering wheel would be upside down...and would make me suspicious, but after you get to the bottom of that, do all your fluids, that thing will run and run. I give it a "great buy" for living in NY.

The LX is currently in storage. We will inspect it and make a prioritized list once the June madness ends (school year chaos). It currently has one working key (aftermarket) and a half (fob) of an original. Only turns in the ignition (not the door lock). I assume the door latch is not original, and the cylinder was never re-keyed to match. We will see. I would love a full set of keys and functioning lock cylinders. I must look into the exhaust manifold leak and find the best solution. I tend to frustrate easily and have snapped a bolt or two. Any advice on that would be great. Those are the two most relevant issues haunting me right now. I have roughly 9k into the car as it sits and would like a decent rig for the son in the 15K budget. Hopefully, we hit the mark. Thanks again for the posts and encouragement.

On the engine tick might be good to check the spark plugs to ensure they are fully tight. They have a habit of backing out and it can cause a noise like an exhaust leak.

Good afternoon. I went by the storage site and spent my time trying to make and then prioritize a to-do list. The top items right now are: 1) repairing the exhaust leak, I ordered a set of DT headers but they seem to be lost in transit. I will be asking for advise on this job as I will attempt to do it myself.
2) working out electrical bugs. The mirrors do not adjust with the remote switch but do power-retract. The stock radio does not work or turn on. The climate control seems to work but does not light up or display temp.
3) AHC seems to be in need of an overhaul (Does not adjust at all).

Any thoughts or advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom