I just picked up this FJ40 and want some ideas on the best way to preserve it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a great find...unmolested.

You have to remember a lot of areas rust from the back side to the front, so while the outside of the body, for example below the doors might look good now, the could be big holes in a year. You need to get under and check out what is going on on the back side of those panels. That is the rust you cannot see till it is way to late if you are only looking at the paint. Any bubble in the paint could be rust coming through from the backside.

Don't clear coat it if it's not prepped properly
It will start to flake and peel off
Even if it doesn't start flaking and peeling it looks like you did fake patina on it and it's not original anymore
Ultimately it's your truck I would just clean it fix the rust you have to and leave the rest alone
A fresh painted frame and untouched everything else would look wrong imho
And would just be the start of well the body's off the frame should paint the underside of the body
Next it's several years and many thousands of dollars later and you have a truck you are afraid of driving because it might get chiped or scratched
I did this with a 28 Ford that was old hot rod from the 60s and sold it because I couldn't enjoy it
And repainted running boards twice because of people standing on them

WHATS UP LEROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you may remember me telling you in your for sale thread,............"If it was an original you'd have people swinging off your junk." Well there you go!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

Just wanted to say, great find. Nice records,&&& nice patina.

Its obviously YOUR truck........ but I would agree with Tin Basher on frame and nothing else, unless the frame is that bad.....

Maybe just a good deep cleaning, wax, clean up the wheels a lil and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

At any rate its obvious that you as most of us here, love these trucks. Good luck with your new baby. :beer:

70CRuza, i agree that this is a unique vehicle, but so are all of them. I have an FJ45 Long Box with aluminum bed, tub and fenders that moves me all the same. Truth is, I love all landcruisers in all their respective states and decisions. I enjoyed this 40 for 1150 miles just the way it is and truly hope to preserve it to the highest value possible. I never long to own things forever I only look back in pleasure for having owned them for a time. Everyone here has given awesome advice and I listen to all of it. My main concern is making the right choice. This vehicle is clean enough to return it to showroom condition isn't a stretch but then what, sell it? Growing up I never had the luxury of owning nice things and I can't shake the fear of damaging such a legacy once its close to perfect. 70Cruza is referring to an FJ45 that was just a tad too nice for me to enjoy so I purchased a 45 that is far more geared to my needs which is actually using them. 70Cruza is going to go nuts because I installed an FJ62 tilt wheel and power steering, an H55 5 spd, A/C, custom rear tire carrier, rear locker, ARB compressor, etc etc etc. Hey, that's what I like. Again, I thank each and every one of you, L.

15541279_340298313004889_7507037499519276663_n.jpg

FJ45 6.jpg

78 FJ45.jpg

15825840_349359472098773_1618061898050095707_n.jpg

Great find! Everyone has given you good advice but in the end, it's your 40. Do with her as you wish.

Damn.

Looks like a nice truck too.

Im turning green.

Right on Leroy, great scores!

Enjoy them & happy trails man.

If you ever sell that truck..........let me know!

I'll probably be in the market in a year or two. :beer:

You will get tons of good advice but at the end of the day your car your choice on what it is about it that makes you happy & what annoys you.
Work out what annoys and make it so your happy:) The idea that was in your head that made you buy it is probably the thing that will make you happy owning & driving. great find ,Cheers.

Damn.

Looks like a nice truck too.

Im turning green.

Right on Leroy, great scores!

Enjoy them & happy trails man.

If you ever sell that truck..........let me know!

I'll probably be in the market in a year or two. :beer:

70, you spoke first so if I sell it you have first option. It should be done by the middle of february so I'll send you some pictures.

thumbnail_20161220_112947.jpg

thumbnail_20161227_135557.jpg

15826293_349790052055715_5192331287625318607_n.jpg

It is a 2F with a 3FE head. It's not stock, but then again stock has it's limitations. It also has an H55 5spd that isn't stock, but again there are advantages. There is also an FJ62 tilt wheel with FJ62 power steering that isn't stock. Advantage Air isn't stock either. 4 wheel disc brakes are not stock, I like em. ARB compressor and locker aren't stock and yet they are installed in the hopes of enjoying this truck completely. The bed cover isn't stock and neither is the weather stripping. The wheels are not stock. The paint isn't stock. The shackle reversal isn't stock. The shocks and shock hoops that clear the FJ62 power steering isn't stock. The replacement dash pad isn't stock. The bumpers and winch are not stock. The spare tire carrier is not stock. The tires are not stock. The tail lights are not stock. The Dakota digital guages are nor stock. The paint is definitely not stock.

So I think I'm going to pull the body off and detail the frame to "as new" and try and preserve what's left of the paint? Does anyone have any ideas about photographing the body and then repainting? Thanks for all the input, I appreciate all of it.

Im going through mine, just taking one thing off, cleaning out rust, replacing what needs it and using never seize etc to make sure it doesnt get any worse. My plan is to enjoy it and do things as I go... Plus I dont have the space to do a full resto even if I wanted to.

Looking at the photos it seems like a nice truck, congrats! Some people will tell you to ditch the webber carb, but whatever works for you. How are those Monroe shocks? Is the steering damper in good shape? It looks rusty and aftermarket. Maybe good things to address while doing the frame.

Damper 1.JPG

Damper 2.JPG

I will replace shocks, stabilizer, bushing etc. The truck hadn't been run in a very long time and I checked the fluids, jumped in and drove well over 1000 miles without issues. Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom