I just picked up this FJ40 and want some ideas on the best way to preserve it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow mudders. I just picked up this 77FJ40 in Tulsa OK. Apparently my mind thinks it's still young and up for abuse, I drove it 1150 miles home for the story. The truck is in impossible condition mechanically and rust free except for the rear sill plate. The top has never been off the truck and all mats are in place. I went over the vehicle and found nothing out of order or in a non functioning status. The gauges all function, the lights all function, The horn functions, the interior dome light on the drivers side works, etc etc etc. The only items I found not correct are headers, carb, electric fuel pump, battery, wheels and tires, trailer lighting and added brake lights. The fog lights are correct with factory switch and indicator light left of headlight switch. The doors close perfectly and all locks work. The interior is all there and in remarkable condition. This vehicle was purchased in Tulsa where it was purchased new. The vehicle has 57,+++ miles and the first 53,+++ were documented by the original owner. I checked the fluids and literally drove it 1150 miles home, what a trip. The only issue was a loose fan belt that spiked temperature until corrected. My question to members is suggestions for preservation??? I'm having the body removed and soda blasting the frame to remove surface rust and having the frame painted. For the body I was thinking of waxing it and shooting it in clear? Do you think this is a good idea or should I document the rust free body and repaint? The interior has gentle patina so I won't touch it. All stickers are intact.
24_zpswiycfvkl.jpg

DSC06078.JPG

DSC06107_zpsutj8jwkv.jpg

DSC06084_zpswjjm9m5q.jpg

DSC06099_zpsayyqxao1.jpg

I'd spot treat any rust on t body as needed and then a good clay, Polish and wax. It's only original paint once. Keep it as long as you can

I wouldn't take it apart, or paint it. Enjoy it and the beautiful scars that it has earned over its life. Treat the rust and enjoy.

Interested MPG in the log book.

Yeah, don't take it apart.....it'd only original once.

We(I did, then gave to friend) picked up a red 77, bone stock, lititle rust... but plan on leaving it alone as long as possible, still had the vintage pin striping.

MPG, this guy must have been warming it up for 30 minutes before driving it because I got 13-14MPG driving it home. I haven't even tuned it up or anything. The tires are small and it didn't go very fast, to be honest I didn't push it. Pretty smooth little truck to be honest.

you will be shocked how well it will clean up. And people really dig a old 40 that looks like its been places, seen things and has stories to tell(if it could), but not abused

I have an unrestored/survivor 82 fj40, its pretty much perfect, but the 77 I got for my buddy has some more rust and patina(it looks like its should still be in the 70's)......sometimes it gets more attention than my 82

Would love to see more photos - inside and under the hood. I agree with @Landpimp - I had my cruiser at a local cars and coffee and it got more attention than the fancy painted ones. One guy even said, "best of show!" Seems a bit of a stretch but clearly he loved the old patina on it.

I would do as stated.. and then throw some OEM steelies with 31 x 10.50's. A good detail shop can bring that paint back to life while diminishing the look of the rust...

Your call, if it was me I would be taking it apart and fixing all the rust you can. it is the rust you cannot see that will kill it. Kind of depends on how close to the beach you are, but if you are close like me you know how quickly rust will happen when you get a nice salt spray week. Waxing it can really help, even wax over rust can really slow down existing rust, but it is in those cracks and crevices you cannot get to that will be a huge problem real quick. As for the MPG in that book, trying to calc it on each fill up is very inaccurate with these small tanks, just not an accurate way to measure how much gas you actually used between each tank, plus if it was used offroad a lot or up hills MPG would plummet. It is a gorgeous truck it would be nice if you can keep it the way it is now, but you cannot stop the rust near the beach, especially where you cannot get to it while all put together.

You all have been so helpful. Thank you. I am having the sill plate replaced as this is the only integrity rust I can find. I will sofa blast the chassis and paint it. As far as the body which is rust free I will wax and clear coat to preserve paint and exposed metal as time and dirt roads has revealed character. Again, thanks.

That's more then patina with the rust spots. It needs painted if you want to preserve the metal.

The rust is superficial, the metal is smooth and completely intact. Clear coat should have the same preservation qualities of paint no?

It's a rare time capsule with it's own smell, paint flaws and character.

Time capsule cars and 40's are much more difficult to keep conserving it the way it is, but it will survive another 40 years like this so count how it is works out in your life time.

Of course you can take it apart and it suddenly it becomes an "unique" FJ40 like everybody else has that did that also.

Great find ! Congrats !

:cheers:

Maybe some POR15 in clear with a clear top coat in matte finish to protect it. I've never used the clear version but have used the black on the underside of my cruiser. That should do a nice job encapsulating the rust and the top coat will help with the UV sensitivity of POR. The matte finish would hopefully be similar to the current finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom