I joined the blown headgasket club tonight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Great week here, HG blew on me today and I just had it towed home. It only had 118k miles on it, argh. The only good thing about the timing is that my dad will be in Thailand for the next month and a half so I can steal a space in the garage.

I guess I caught it early but we'll see. It idles/runs like crap, pisses coolant out the exhaust, and pisses coolant hardcore out the overflow bottle. No coolant in the oil though.

Where is the shoot self in face avatar? I guess this will be my budget HG fix thread.

DSC_0040.jpg

I almost wish I'd rolled it on Sunday then I'd have collected insurance on the thing. It just isn't my week at all. :bang::bang::bang: No car, no girl, no job, no freedom.

Yeah. Awesome. Guess it's not for sale until I fix the HG... either way I have a buyer, infact he was borrowing the car when it blew (I was driving his 100). I'll have the head off tomorrow; I've got nothing else to do.

I wonder if I have one of the lowest mileage failures.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of this.

Please take pics, it will help the rest of us.

You might consider sending the failed HG to CDan when you're done. He is collecting them.

Not really sure why....but he is.

Yeah. Awesome. Guess it's not for sale until I fix the HG... either way I have a buyer, infact he was borrowing the car when it blew (I was driving his 100). I'll have the head off tomorrow; I've got nothing else to do.

I wonder if I have one of the lowest mileage failures.

nope, IIRC it was something like 50K mi... :frown:

Sorry to hear of this.

You might consider sending the failed HG to CDan when you're done. He is collecting them.

There will be many pictures taken, no worries.
nope, IIRC it was something like 50K mi... :frown:
Good god. :frown:

Sorry to hear of this.

There was a thread started a while back that stated everyone should send Cdan their blown headgaskets to get Mr. T to recognize his design flaw. Not sure it's gonna work but I think that's why he's collecting them.

To bad dude. But look on the bright side. Probably nothing else can go wrong at this point.

To bad dude. But look on the bright side. Probably nothing else can go wrong at this point.
Don't curse me, I thought that a few days ago. :flipoff2: :)

So it begins today, I'd love to thank Medro for helping me out with the parts. They come in tomorrow! :)
DSC_0042.jpg

I'll be doing this where it sits so it should be a day of sunburns. :hillbilly:
I've never seen a price listed for the headgasket kit from Toyota so I'll go ahead and say that it costs around $200 with a discount.

Last edited:
Classic number 6 failure.
CIMG1316.jpg

Waiting on a 30mm socket to rotate the crank pulley before I pull the dist. I've got no one to help me out or a video so I'm just following the FSM. Should have it done tomorrow depending on when the HG arrives.

Although I wished I had done this, see if you can remove the entire manifold from the side of the head as one unit per FSM. I normally split the upper and lower apart but this maybe a more efficient way to separate the intake from the head. If for some reason you want to remove the intake clamshell from the engine bay, you'll need to snake the ECU harness through it. In order to do this, pull the ECU and two other connectors inside the firewall and then snake the thing out. It's pretty easy.

I'll try it. I have to fix the engine harness next to the EGR also so it'll be easy to get to with everything out. I've skipped taking off the dist for now and I'm working around it.

You might consider spraying the exhaust manifold studs and nuts with PB Blaster so it has a chance to start working while you are doing other things.

Sorry to hear bout the hg.

Buck

man sorry to hear about the HG, I'm in the middle of mine too. it's a PITA. I pulled my fan and clutch so I could get to the crankshaft a little easier.

It's not as bad as it seems once you get in there. Just very time consuming.

Hehe.....seeing the new 911 Turbo in the garage while your dad is away just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

We're gonna have to jack it up and run it in reverse to hide the mileage!

:p

man sorry to hear about the HG, I'm in the middle of mine too. it's a PITA. I pulled my fan and clutch so I could get to the crankshaft a little easier.

It's not as bad as it seems once you get in there. Just very time consuming.
I managed to get a flex head ratchet in fine, luckly enough.
You might consider spraying the exhaust manifold studs and nuts with PB Blaster so it has a chance to start working while you are doing other things.

Sorry to hear bout the hg.

Buck
Done.
Hehe.....seeing the new 911 Turbo in the garage while your dad is away just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

We're gonna have to jack it up and run it in reverse to hide the mileage!

:p
:grinpimp:

Working outside and not being used to the heat down here yet is taking a lot out of me, very tired. :eek:

Last edited:
Take your time, post progress and keep your head up.

HG kit is cheaper than $200. If you have a "for sure" buyer tell him that you can install a lot of PM items "while in there." Just have the buyer purchase the parts and install them while you have the truck taken apart. Parts like the fuel filter, accelerator cable, distributor plugs and wires, blue fan clutch, crank shaft seal, oil pump seal, thermostat... things that are easily accessible but not necessary to repair the HG.

This is after about 4-5 hours of actual work... moving kind of slow in my opinion.
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

Sorry for the horrible pictures, I'm stuck with an DSLR that has a lens not suited to up close pictures. My neighbors are already pulling the 'walk the dog to gawk' thing. I forsee a HOA fine on the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom