I joined the blown headgasket club tonight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took about 15 minutes to get the wiring harness unplugged, pulled through the two runners, and the head off.

No carbon buildup on any cylinder, they all look practically new. I'm cleaning the mating surfaces with a razor blade and I'm going to slap it back together.

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

The color/texture of the exhaust valves bothers me, they feel like sand paper. There are no signs of detonation anywhere though. Maybe it's normal, I've never had an engine this far apart in my hands.

I'd imagine they have jobs and an extra car to get around. ;)

yup. 6 months from tear down to back on the road....$~5000 later too! :eek:

but I did a ton of "while you are in there stuff" including replacing all valves, springs, seats, lock washers, etc. Head is pretty much brand new except for the casting...

I'm very impressed with the color of the internal parts. I'm curious to know what kind of oil and gas did you use with this vehicle and what was your oil change interval. My internals were varnished (dark chocolate brown) quite badly and there was a thick layer of carbon on top of the pistons.

I'm very impressed with the color of the internal parts. I'm curious to know what kind of oil and gas did you use with this vehicle and what was your oil change interval. My internals were varnished (dark chocolate brown) quite badly and there was a thick layer of carbon on top of the pistons.
:lol: Whatever is cheapest every 6k miles and whatever is closest when the light comes on.

I drove up and tried to talk it out with my ex last night and she basically told me that she wants to slut it up because she is young and doesn't want to be tied down. I laid everything I had on the table for the first time in my life and failed pretty much horribly at the only thing I wanted to go right... whatever, s*** changes, right? :) That was my little rant for the day.

I had my friend help me position the head on the block yesterday and I borrowed his torque wrench so I'll be putting it back together today.

:lol: Whatever is cheapest every 6k miles and whatever is closest when the light comes on.

I drove up and tried to talk it out with my ex last night and she basically told me that she wants to slut it up because she is young and doesn't want to be tied down. I laid everything I had on the table for the first time in my life and failed pretty much horribly at the only thing I wanted to go right... whatever, s*** changes, right? :) That was my little rant for the day.

I had my friend help me position the head on the block yesterday and I borrowed his torque wrench so I'll be putting it back together today.

Thanks for the info and very sorry for your relationship troubles; that sucks.

update on the hg Chibo?

sorry about your chick, at least you found this out now.

Medtro came over and helped me out for like 4 hours today. :)
Head is bolted down, cams back in and bolted down, timing chain junk back in, wiring harness fed up through the intake manifold runners.

I'm waiting for header wrap for the wiring harness before I go any further.

I'm going to sleep now.

I took a break since Sunday to go party all week at ASU and get my mind off everything... I got it 'running' today edit:I mixed up two plug wires and now that all the crap in the engine is burned out it runs perfectly.

Just need to put the airbox back in, replace the two power steering lines to the res that I cracked, have the coolant flushed since I had oil in the water jacket I couldn't get out, and put the battery mount back in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom