I joined the blown headgasket club tonight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, the internals do look brand new.:eek: My '97 w/ 104K didn't look that good when I changed out the valve cover gasket.:frown:

Medtro stopped by and dropped off my headgasket kit as well as helped me out. Both cams are out and I'm ready to start unbolting the head. Taking a little break though.
There is some scaring on the cam caps but I suspect it's normal... I do run the truck at sustained high RPMs though.
DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, the internals do look brand new.:eek: My '97 w/ 104K didn't look that good when I changed out the valve cover gasket.:frown:
I noted that I had a VC gasket leak before... and when I went to take the rear cover bolts loose I found they were finger tight at best. I suspect a lot of them leak when they could just be retorqued.

I haven't gotten the head off, the manifold still has junk attached but I managed to get the HG out.

"It's fubar, sir"
DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

I like the massive distortion on cylinder 6. I tweaked my back again lifting that POS up so I'm taking a break, I think... maybe I'll just keep going. I'm so tired of this thing...................... :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Last edited:
Few questions, the head is sitting on a 4x4 ontop of the block giving me easier access to the last couple of wires for the harness.
1. How do I get the two huge blocks disconnected for the tranny, I don't see a tab.
2. How does the wire to the starter disconnect, I see no tab.
3. Where do the two wires that run on top of the transmission disconnect and what are they?

The old HG is most definitely fubar, however is it just me or are some of the rings on the new one not perfectly circular either? :confused:

One extremely long cheater bar and a broken 14mm snapon socket later...
DSC_0053.jpg

Not sure if this has been covered but do remove the oil cooler (right of the exh man in the pic) and see if you got any hard stuff deposited from the coolant. It's easy to just clean out.

Good luck.

the tranny sensors are....not on engine bay, they are on the tranny... passenger side...
you need someone who pull the arnes, so you can feel which one to release...
in my case, pushing the sensor hard was not enought, I needed help from Joe and he did it with the screwdriver...

Few questions, the head is sitting on a 4x4 ontop of the block giving me easier access to the last couple of wires for the harness.
1. How do I get the two huge blocks disconnected for the tranny, I don't see a tab.
2. How does the wire to the starter disconnect, I see no tab.
3. Where do the two wires that run on top of the transmission disconnect and what are they?

Are you asking so that you can pull the lower intake out? If so, I can't answer your questions but I can tell you that pulling the wiring harness through the firewall is not a hard task. Then the harness snakes through between the runners.

If not pulling the lower intake, then leave the connectors in place as they won't come into play.

Hang tough. You are moving a lot faster than I did. :beer:

Buck

The route I went the head is coming out with the intake still attached whole. I guess I'll take a look at pulling the harness through the firewall.

I just need to get the head lifted up and out then I can clean the surfaces, make sure they're flat, check for cracks, and start putting everything together. I'm running out of money and sanity.

Last edited:
Is not correct to measure the work by calendar days, we need to count hours…

I’m already over a month, but working just the weekends, like 6-8 hours a day, let’s said like 15 hours per weekend, sometimes, I can’t work both days in the truck… I need to take care of home and wife… is not all about the truck…

So, 15*5 =75 hours and I’m expecting another 75 at least…

That’s the times for a newbie, I guess that experts hands s/b like half of that time…

I've got a total of about 15 hours in it about now, but I'm not taking my time.
I think I'm stuck where I am for now without help... I dunno, I'll look the situation over. I know for a fact I can lift the head/intake together by myself but I'm screwed with the remaining wires that run though the manifold. I can't really get in to the ECU area to feed it out and I've read that it is very difficult to get the harness through the mani that way.
DSC_0078.jpg

I'd sat the head ontop of the block on a piece of wood hoping it'd give me extra room to unplug everything but it appears not everything can be easily unplugged for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I've got a total of about 15 hours in it about now, but I'm not taking my time.
I think I'm stuck where I am for now without help... I dunno, I'll look the situation over. I know for a fact I can lift the head/intake together by myself but I'm screwed with the remaining wires that run though the manifold. I can't really get in to the ECU area to feed it out and I've read that it is very difficult to get the harness through the mani that way.
DSC_0078.jpg

I'd sat the head ontop of the block on a piece of wood hoping it'd give me extra room to unplug everything but it appears not everything can be easily unplugged for whatever reason.

Take the harness from under the drivers side dash. And snake it thru the intake.
I think it took about half a hour to get it out. Not very difficult.

Under dash
239767249_EM3v3-XL.jpg

At firewall
239765611_dat2a-XL.jpg

Pulled out

239767073_a2hWH-XL.jpg

I think it is just that they have a hard time mfg it round.

No way, if Mr. T wanted perfectly round gaskets he'd make perfectly round gaskets. If they all come from the factory with a bit of a dimple then there must be a reason that some engineers spent a long time figuring out :lol:

Take the harness from under the drivers side dash. And snake it thru the intake.
I think it took about half a hour to get it out. Not very difficult.
Damn, thank you for the pictures. :D:D

I dunno, I'll look the situation over. I know for a fact I can lift the head/intake together by myself but I'm screwed with the remaining wires that run though the manifold. I can't really get in to the ECU area to feed it out and I've read that it is very difficult to get the harness through the mani that way..

This is where a second person comes in handy. Have that person pull the ECU harness while you unplug the connectors from inside. Remove the glove box and the speaker grill. Then unplug the three dark connectors at the ECU. After that, unplug the two white connectors and that's it. I'd say ten minutes to do everything. It's quite easy if you take your time.

And another thing, I'd separate the whole intake from the head to make it less bulkier and lighter. Remove the bolts and the two studs at each end to make the manifold removal easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom