I joined the blown headgasket club tonight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figured I'd hand clean everything in a parts washer once I get everything broken down.
I just got the exhaust manifolds off but it's too dark to continue tonight. Maybe I'll have help tomorrow and it'll go a little quicker.

Not a bad idea, but disassembly would be a lot cleaner and maybe even easier with things at least hosed down. Just my take though. At least it is not like Onur's rig was with rust :eek:

Hah, that's the one thing I'm glad for. I haven't had a real hard time breaking anything loose yet, I have had problems with everything being very brittle though. It looks like I'll be replacing a lot of hoses/re-wrapping a lot of things.

yeah, don't you just hate those pesky neighbors? maybe you can set up a screen.
can't help but notice the umbrella, guess it's already kinda hot there...
way to go with tacklin' this head on. as joe dirt says, "you gotta keep on keepin' on".

Those pictures look helpful, I'll browse around. :) Thank you

Why didn't you use that empty bay in the garage? You could throw the bonnet on that old blue Volkswagon thing and be in the shade.
-B-

Why didn't you use that empty bay in the garage? You could throw the bonnet on that old blue Volkswagon thing and be in the shade.
-B-
I'd end up drowned in the pool. The other spots are occupied by cars that shouldn't be parked outside.
I'm not allowed to touch the garage, unfortunately... heh. My dad doesn't leave for Thailand until later this week, I'll steal a spot then.

Last edited:
I'd end up drowned in the pool.

Sounds like a fun family to grow up in. Good on 'ya for taking this project on yourself. I can't be much help but Ruadhrigh, Beno, and Ali have recently done this same project and they can talk you through any issues. You're in good virtual hands. :D

-B-

Is there a trick to seperating the manifolds from the downpipes?
DSC_0052.jpg

Should I be using a torx socket to take the stud out rather than the nuts? I really don't want to (or can't) take off the exhaust the way the FSM says since mine isn't really stock.

One extremely long cheater bar and a broken 14mm snapon socket later...
DSC_0053.jpg

You can use either a 6 sided socket or a torx socket with lots of extensions. I used a 6 sided socket. The nuts were frozen to 3 of the studs and came out with them. Use some penetrating oil and give it time to work. A 12 sided socket might also work on the torx studs, but won't have as much purchase as a proper torx socket. If you damage the stud head and the nut, you might be able to cut off the extra stud length and use a bolt out on the nut. Be sure to replace those studs and nuts and any other exaust hardware with new.

Valve cover off. If I didn't know better I'd say this engine was brand new, no marking or scaring on the cams... everything is clean, no sludge or varnishing.
DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom