I have the opputunity to buy a 2002 Turbo Diesel Landcruiser but need some help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off I dont even know if this is in the right section of mud so Ill start where I usually hangout. Okay so I have a friend that's uncle builds vehicles for the US State Department. Well my friend called and asked if he knew anyone that would be interested in a Turbo Diesel Landcruiser. My friend called me and asked if I was interested. It turns out that it is a 2002 4 door Turbo Diesel right hand drive with under 2k miles and has been sitting for a while and I don't know what model it is. I can only buy the rolling chassis and front clip, (axles, trans,motor, frame) ect..because it is a armored State Department vehicle and will be chopped up. I am going to look at it this weekend. I know he said it cannot be titled.

Is it worth the looking into? Replacing my 3FE with Turbo Diesel would be sweet, but don't know what kind of work that would entail. Or even parting it out. What would something like this be worth? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

I originally posted this in the 80 section because that is where I am usually at, but you guys are the diesel experts. Any info would be great thanks.

slow91fj90
It would be best if you knew the engine type and trans.
With the hot shots here , even a picture would be great.
But for the right price anything diesel would be good.

The phones that can take a picture and post here when you see it would be the way.
Then all who know what your looking at , then put a price and time on your question.

VT

It will probably be full electronic control. You would need the entire wiring loom from the original vehicle to make sure it runs.

could be a troopy or a 100.....m.mm....not even sure a troopy i don't think 70s never were 4 doors....So i bet a 100, a HDJ100 RHD or a HZJ100. Being RHD i would say the HZJ might be worth more dollar, Could be sold to be swap in a older model truck.

Having swap a HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) into a US UZJ100, i would never, even for a second consider doing a RHD to swap into a LHD US UZJ100. At least 3 harness will be required that will make the thing just very expensive.

IMHO if it is a 1HD-FTE RHD it is worthless, too big of a project, you'll need endless number of part to fit that into a other 100, and things would be even more complicated to fit into a other model, for exemple a 80.

Anyhow take picture of engine bay!

Last edited:
It could be an HZJ105 with 1HZ ( no electronics at all that you need to make it run ) with manual tranny ( R151 )

That would be a very slow armoured car.

if it's a turbo diesel it wont be a 1hz. If its a 2002 it should be a 1HD-FTE. Also if its a 2002 it would be at least coils in the front. I presume this would be an awesome opportunity so you should jump on it.

That being said I don't like electronics so I'd stay away from that engine but the specs on it are impressive with a lot of room for tweaking.

DO IT! :D If you get it for a steal, and never end up doing anything with it, you can always sell it to someone else, looking to do a swap. It seems like you will be getting a complete truck without a body, with most of the necesary parts for a swap.

here you can found plenty 2002 100 series with 1HD-T on 'em ..

I think that's a location thing. In Japan, NZ and Australia all 100 series (everything from 1999 onwards) had the FTE (or petrol V8), the 105 (which is really still an 80 with a 100 body) had the 1HZ. Did you guys still have the 12v engine in 2002?

Likely true, but they use to do the NA Patrols in Armour for the UN, various governments and a number of military contractors. I saw one come up on Aussie Ebay from the Gulf States with 3cm thick windows and a bullet hit to prove they work. :D

My main concern with recommending someone buy it is regarding your ability to register it. I know we see newer than 25 yr old imports come up on ebay. The sellers always claim they are legally imported and registered. However, there have been recent reports of officials going after and confiscating the Skylines that came into the US through these "loop holes". The State Dept may have this Cruiser in the US; but that does not mean you can do the same. I would make sure with the local authorities that you can legally own it and register it before spending a dime. If they give you the green flag, then get it in writing. You should be able to legally import the body of the same vehicle from Japan or Europe. You will want to do some research on cost. Both Dave at Japan4x4 or Mark at Brave Auto are exporters in Japan who might be able to help you.

My local wreckers had about 6 HZJ75 armoured vehicles, they had all been cut from the firewall back to have no body left, no front guards either. Had something like 12 leaves upfront and 14 or so massive ones down the back.

On that basis might be 1HD-T. I know Africa got the 1HD-T for a long while.

I'm not so sure the RHD/LHD would be such a big issue. Almost all the wiring comes through the firewall at one location.... worst case some extension. I had a wiring nightmare getting the Lexus to Mate to the FTE. In the end it wasnt so hard though.

Quote:
My local wreckers had about 6 HZJ75 armoured vehicles, they had all been cut from the firewall back to have no body left, no front guards either. Had something like 12 leaves upfront and 14 or so massive ones down the back.

It also could be a Landcruiser Prado/90 series with the 1KZ,depending what the original market off this car was.This is also a 2002 4door turbo diesel cruiser;)

On that basis might be 1HD-T. I know Africa got the 1HD-T for a long while.

I'm not so sure the RHD/LHD would be such a big issue. Almost all the wiring comes through the firewall at one location....

Maybe for a 1HD-T, but for a 1HD-FTE it is.....well.....
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg

And more....
IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg

AND MORE.....
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2250.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg

Pictures above are not even showing what would be involved under the bonet!

EDIT: It would be simplier to take a US LHD UZJ and swap it to become a RHD with the donor parts, But you know, it would suck big time doing all this to end up with a RHD, that would need a Front passanger to operate the rear windows....

EDIT #2: thinking about it, whatever in the doors wouldn't even operate....

Last edited:
I think that's a location thing. In Japan, NZ and Australia all 100 series (everything from 1999 onwards) had the FTE (or petrol V8), the 105 (which is really still an 80 with a 100 body) had the 1HZ. Did you guys still have the 12v engine in 2002?

Yep .. actually up to 2003 when they stop that hybrid ( 100 with 1HD-T low cost option ) and jump straight up to 1HD-FTE

Another tip it's we never see oficially 1HD-FT 24V here .. there are few imported but not sold by our Toyota dealer ( which it's only one in the hole country )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom