I have angered the Cruiser Gods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah kiss the nut goodbye it fell into the land Cruiser abyss.
Land Cruiser abyss? You must have never owned a 1970s spaghetti car (Italian). My first car was a Lancia Beta Saloon. To own it, I just had to get it working. That engine bay ate everything. Nothing dropped ever hit the ground. Nor did it make a sound, like a dropped socket hitting metal. It was almost eerie how things silently disappeared.

That car was a B+ in concept, and an F- in execution. Subframe rust caused a massive recall in the UK and a complete exit of the NA market, never to return. Soviet metal was always the rumor.

Land Cruiser abyss? You must have never owned a 1970s spaghetti car (Italian). My first car was a Lancia Beta Saloon. To own it, I just had to get it working. That engine bay ate everything. Nothing dropped ever hit the ground. Nor did it make a sound, like a dropped socket hitting metal. It was almost eerie how things silently disappeared.

That car was a B+ in concept, and an F- in execution. Subframe rust caused a massive recall in the UK and a complete exit of the NA market, never to return. Soviet metal was always the rumor.
Well I guess we all relate whether a Land Cruiser or Lancia. Fact is we drop it and we just know we have lost it.
I hate that!
Great story @hobbes.

Glad you got it running, you got good karma. It may not be too late, get a large magnet run it around even where you think it did not bounce to. Sometimes I have work on really tiny stuff. Instead of using my fingers I use tweezers to put it together. And sometimes it will pop out and land on the floor. I try follow the hardware as it flying in the air and see where falls but not always easy. At some point I sweep the floor gently and if it's not stainless i try fishing it with a magnet. I have even gone as cleaning the are before i take apart. But this nut is not tiny. I feel your frustration when comes to loosing hardware.

I feel your pain. I dropped a 12mm socket Around the intake of my ‘94, found it like 3 years later, wedged by the power steering pump.

In Land Cruiser mythology, this is also know as “The 12 labour’s of Ownership”.

Hey guys. I pulled my '77 FJ40 out of storage a few weeks ago and had an issue with my starter that I would sometimes just get a "click." My Tacoma has done this for the last 2 years and the dealer cannot diagnose it because it doesn't happen when it's at the dealer. Anyway, I'm used to just turning my key a few times until the starter finally engages so that's what I have been doing and after a few tries, it has started right up. Fast forward to last weekend and I was on my way to a car show and I noticed my brake pedal getting lower and lower. I turned around to limp home and by the time I got here, I had ZERO brakes. Reservoir full and no leaks, so I assumed the master cylinder. I had just replaced my old one with a cheapie from Rock Auto until I had time to rebuild the OEM. While waiting for the rebuild parts, the truck decided to puke about a cup of gear oil onto the driveway, I didn't take the protective cover off, but it appears to be coming from the back of the transaxle. I received my parts today to rebuild my master, I got that completed and dropped one of the nuts. I could hear that it didn't hit the driveway, but after searching for nearly an hour, I can't find that effing think anywhere. I have spare metric hardware so I found another one to finish installing the master. I went to start her up to see if I had brakes, and it didn't want to start. Usually once it turns over it hits right away. Then I got the "click, click click" which then turned into NO click! I waited a couple minutes and made sure I was compressing the clutch peal all the way and I was. After a few more tried, it finally turned over and started and then died. It has never done that. I started it with the chock and it stays running, but it will not idle after I turn the chock off, it completely dies. I wondered if that nut ended up somewhere that it is affecting the carburetor linkage. And ugh! We don't have the best weather and I'm limited on days I can drive this thing and I'm spending way too many of those days with it sitting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also failed to mention that the Cruiser Gods have given me a random coolant leak as well! LOL!!! Good thing my cruiser love is deep ;)

I feel your pain. I dropped a 12mm socket Around the intake of my ‘94, found it like 3 years later, wedged by the power steering pump.
See? Not lost - - temporarily misplaced :hillbilly:

Then there is always that sick feeling when, after a looking everywhere for that missing _________ (fill-in-the-blank: socket, ratchet, Vessel JIS screwdriver, unobtanium bolt/nut, washer), driving with the windows down, just getting up to speed, you hear that unmistakable clatter, which never seems to happen in the driveway. 10mm and 12 mm sockets are especially prone to go looking for a new home. Maybe there is a reason they are called a "shakedown" cruise.

a few years ago I was helping a guy work on the front engine of a Cat scraper.
he dropped a 15/16" wrench into the belly pan.
he then took 4 more wrenches that were close by and dropped them in also.
I was stunned.
He said you think I'm dropping the belly pan for 1 wrench.
I still laugh about that.

Glad you got it running, you got good karma. It may not be too late, get a large magnet run it around even where you think it did not bounce to. Sometimes I have work on really tiny stuff. Instead of using my fingers I use tweezers to put it together. And sometimes it will pop out and land on the floor. I try follow the hardware as it flying in the air and see where falls but not always easy. At some point I sweep the floor gently and if it's not stainless i try fishing it with a magnet. I have even gone as cleaning the are before i take apart. But this nut is not tiny. I feel your frustration when comes to loosing hardware.
Trust me, I laid on the driveway for an hour digging around with 2 magnets, nothing. I pressure washed the frame and I have done it 100 times and I STILL get Oklahoma clay coming out. I bought this thing 20 years ago and the frame rails were packed, I'm amazed that there is still any left to wash out. I keep saying I give up on finding the nut, but everytime I open the hood I know I will look. I hate not being able to find things!

I haven't bleed everything yet but decided to take a spin around the block and brake fluid is emptying out of the front reservoir and pushing out of the rear. Please tell me this is only happening because I have air in the system. I don't want to waste my time bleeding the brakes if something else is the issue. My dog hasn't gotten down the pump and hold thing yet, she just sits there.

I lost a screw from the dash pad light this weekend. I had one of the 2. I dropped the one i had from where i dropped the lost one. On the fourth drop it went into the heater. That is where i found the other screw. It works fairly well. Sometimes I end up with 2 lost items though. Use at your own peril. What have you done to earn the wrath of the cruiser gods? Wave to a jeep? Upside down bezel? Call a 55 ugly?

I haven't bleed everything yet but decided to take a spin around the block and brake fluid is emptying out of the front reservoir and pushing out of the rear. Please tell me this is only happening because I have air in the system. I don't want to waste my time bleeding the brakes if something else is the issue. My dog hasn't gotten down the pump and hold thing yet, she just sits there.
Nope, master is shot.

I keep saying I give up on finding the nut, but everytime I open the hood I know I will look. I hate not being able to find things!
It's only normal, I do the same thing, and one day without even thinking about it, I see a 10 mm socket in the engine bay...it's good feeling when you find it. My son lost a line wrench, i finally replaced it but it does not fit in the set the others came...and i think may have a complex about it. Who knows it may still be in the shop somwhere. I looked for hours. I sometimes think it may have falling in one of those huge cracks in the yard in middle of summer.

"THIS", or one similar will make single handed bleeding go easy. Dog can relax and watch.

I lost a screw from the dash pad light this weekend. I had one of the 2. I dropped the one i had from where i dropped the lost one. On the fourth drop it went into the heater. That is where i found the other screw. It works fairly well. Sometimes I end up with 2 lost items though. Use at your own peril. What have you done to earn the wrath of the cruiser gods? Wave to a jeep? Upside down bezel? Call a 55 ugly?
I dropped a bunch of other random things, didn't want to chance losing another nut! 99% of the time they hit the ground. When I replace my manifold gasket, I have a feeling that it's hiding under the carb somewhere if it doesn't rattle out on the roadway before that! And I bought an abandoned '74 40 project, I should have appeased the Cruiser Gods!!!

Nope, master is shot.
I just rebuilt it and it looked nice and smooth inside. I rebuilt it because it was previously losing fluid out of the rear without an apparent leak so I assume it leaked into the booster.

Did you hone the cyldr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom