I have a 1971 FJ40. It’s starts fine when it’s cold. Once I run it And it warms up and stop, it’s doesn’t start easily. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once my FJ40 has been run and warms up and then I stop somewhere. It takes a while hell of a lot of cranking the starter to get it going again. What could that be? Anyone have anything similar happen?

My first guess on a rig that starts fine cold, but not warm is intake/exhaust leaks. The gasket is fine when cold, but expands and leaks when warm. Spraying carb cleaner around intake/exhaust manifold gasket when it is warm should do the trick. You can hear the engine idle go up if the cleaner gets sucked in. Checks for leaks around the carb too. Also, you can do a vacuum test to confirm.

On the hot start remember no choke and pedal pinned to the floor. You want max airflow.

How do the spark plugs look? When you pull the plugs keep track of which cylinder they came from. Can you see fuel in the sight glass?

Pictures always seem draw more interest and can speed up the remote trouble shooting process.

Background info can also provide clues:
Did you just get this rig? Has any work recently been performed on it?
Has the fuel system been completely gone through or have you only replaced the fuel filter? Blah, Blah, Blah;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom