I have 1HD-FT: Question is....does it go into my FJ60 or do I find an FJ80......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After months and months of searching, I am finally taking possession of a 1HDFT with 151 5 speed half cut that has been sitting for a few years. I have two key decisions to make and would love advice from the forum:

1) Currently own 1986 FJ60 in perfect condition, fully restored, perfect mechanical, bells and whistles, no rust, full wagongeared, new interior, new head, A/C, etc. Do I sell my 60 and take my time to find a low mileage 1997 Fzj80 that it will drop into or do I cut/fab this in the FJ60 and find a H55 with proper bell housing/shaft/clutch?

2) If I go the fzj80 route....do I dare sell the 60? Its killing me to think about letting it go but I could probably get what I need for the 80. Guess I'd be open to trades.

Any thoughts/advice/opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

D

Your 60 sounds pretty sweet, so i'd try and keep it if i was you. Why do you need to find a low-mileage 80 for the 1HD-FT to bolt into? Are you in the position to keep one vehicle only? The 1HD-FT is an awesome engine and i think it would fit under the 60's hood ok. It would be a cool ride!:)

I'm about to drop a 1HDT in my 60.. also a super clean truck. It's the same procedure with the 1HD-FT... Only difference is mine came standard with an H55.. If I were you bro I'd put that sucker in your 60... it might be a little more work but you'd end up with the most uber-cool truck on the planet :cool:

See here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/495333-1hdt-h55f-advice-please.html

and here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/81067-1hd-t-h55-split-case-into-60-a.html

Good luck...

Last edited:
Agree it would be sweet. As this has the 151, there is an additional investment to swap into the 60 (H55/clutch/bellhousing/fabricated engine mounts/etc) that starts adding more weight to doing the easier drop in FJ80 swap.

Guess that is where I start to waiver. Not afraid of the work to make it happen but drawn to the ease of dropping the 1HDFT into an 80. But the cool factor is always in play.....!

I'm about to drop a 1HDT in my 60.. also a super clean truck. It's the same procedure with the 1HD-FT... Only difference is mine came standard with an H55.. If I were you bro I'd put that sucker in your 60... it might be a little more work but you'd end up with the most uber-cool truck on the planet :cool:

See here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/495333-1hdt-h55f-advice-please.html

and here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/81067-1hd-t-h55-split-case-into-60-a.html

Good luck...

just did a 1hdt swap in my 1996 80. it was very easy. one thing that would concern me is the engine harness that passes through the fire wall. i would think it would have to be custom to fit to the 60 cowl harness. I ordered the LHD engine harness from Japan4x4 here on mud. If i hadnt used the JDM combination cluster i would have only had to move a few wire terminals around in the main plug of the engine harness . just my .02

The guy who sold you all that wagon gear stuff has that exact setup in his 60, and swapped it in 2 weeks before taking a cross country expedition ;) You don't need to find a low mileage 80 to swap that into if you go that route, just find the cleanest you can ...

Good luck!
Tucker

Thanks Tucker. Will have to reach out to Kevin and some point would enjoy meeting you guys here in Austin.

Cheers,

Donovan

The guy who sold you all that wagon gear stuff has that exact setup in his 60, and swapped it in 2 weeks before taking a cross country expedition ;) You don't need to find a low mileage 80 to swap that into if you go that route, just find the cleanest you can ...

Good luck!
Tucker

1HD-T H55 split case INTO A 60 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4)
Radd Cruisers

Was a quite some time ago, but good results:popcorn::popcorn:

one thing that would concern me is the engine harness that passes through the fire wall. i would think it would have to be custom to fit to the 60 cowl harness.

Wiring for this engine in a 60 is very simple. The most complicated part is wiring the alternator. And its not complicated.

Agree it would be sweet. As this has the 151, there is an additional investment to swap into the 60 (H55/clutch/bellhousing/fabricated engine mounts/etc) that starts adding more weight to doing the easier drop in FJ80 swap.

True, but there are plenty of people with automatic HDJ80's that would buy your 151 setup.

Your a lucky man to find one. They are expensive here. But boy can you get them to really go!. Standard they are a bit ordinary, but fit a decent exhaust an intercooler and a tune, you will be very suprised.

Dont be too dissapointed if you put it in and it doesnt seem that grunty down low, thats fairly typical and not hard to improve even without changing any mechanical components

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom