I hate my truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I had to tear the AC apart Sat. night. There was a leak at the expansion valve. Took about 3 hours, but I had it up and running, no problem - until I got into it today.

It leaked again, from the expansion valve joint...unbelievable. I used red loctite on the joints, preplaced the o-rings and everything. Tightened the hell out of it, too. What else can I do with the damn thing?

I really don't want to take it apart again, and I'm sick of messing with it. O'rielly's had this crap that you inject into the system that is supposed to seal of metal holes or leaks in the system - anyone use this stuff before? Will it chew up the compressor? Or is it worth a try?

Should I just take it to a shop? (I know what everyone will answer here...) How do I go about finding one that I can trust to do the work right?

Hate is such a strong word....

I used some of that stuff in my Accord and it worked.

[subliminal message]
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.
Get an 80 series Swank.

[/subliminal message]
:flipoff2:

What do you need AC for? It's only like 104 or something there right?

Move North?

Keep at it. The components are meant to work correctly, so if none are faulty, the process is flawed. Only you can decide when it's time to give up and take it to a shop. As far as finding one you trust? Personal reference is the only way, and it seems most trustworthy, knowledgable shops are super busy, so expect to pay accordingly.

I wish I knew jack S^&% about AC so I could help, but I think it runs on magic.

Maybe one of those little hats with a mister and fan attached? Swamp cooler bolted on the roof? Refrigerated console full of margaritas?

sportbiker929 said:
I used some of that stuff in my Accord and it worked.

Hmmmm...

Did you read up on it anywhere, or just throw caution into the wind and do it?

I was going to solder the joints last time, but didn't find the solder and anyitng else I'd need until after I was done...which sucks.

And yes, I do believe that ACs run on magic, too...

Doug - I'm about to get out of Toyotas all together. The Avalon is developing an oil leak now, and has a handful of other "issues" that are really testing the "reliability myth".

Man sorry to hear of your mishaps, look at it this way, if everything else is workin and you are workin out the few kinks on your AC then all is good. If you have another car to drive, then step away from the landcruiser. Sometimes we work on them so damn much we get frustrated as hell. So take a break from it and don't come back till you can look at it and ya feel that little itch..then you will know it is time to work on it again. Toyota makes a damn good vehicle. All ya gotta do is look at the number on here of total posts the cruiser heads have posted...we all can't be insane. It'll all work out for ya man. Good Luck

swank60 said:
Hmmmm...

...Doug - I'm about to get out of Toyotas all together. The Avalon is developing an oil leak now, and has a handful of other "issues" that are really testing the "reliability myth".
You could always get a Land/Range Rover.

NorCalDoug said:
You could always get a Land/Range Rover.

Or a J**P !

In this case you don't need to be worried about your AC or other minor things, you need to put your mind in other suff as broken axles .. :D

Get it fixed by a pro and move on. You have saved a ton of money by working on your rig for various things, now is the time to cash in on some pro advice and service.

Call a couple of hot rod shops and ask for recommendations on shops that work well on older rigs. My guess is that you'll find a radiator shop with a good recommendation that works on AC. They'll listen to your personal efforts to date and fix it up.

HTH

Not sure I'd tell 'em I was the one that had been messing with it. Blame it on a mythical shop near your house. Pretend not to know the details other than "they don't specialize in A/C".

Then with your vast knowledge & personal experience you can tell if they're jerking you around.

i think you have put enough into it...if you can't get it fixed on this try, then take it to a shop. after reading what you have been through i think i am just going to take mine to an A/C shop...when i get around to ever fixing it. :D

I've decided one more crack at this thing and see where it goes. I may put in the metal sealant stuff - I'll sleep on it, or I may give CDan a PM or try locally for a new expansion valve and see if I can't do this ONE MORE TIME...

:rolleyes: I hate this stupid truck...

love, hate, love, hate..... two sides of the same coin aren't they? ;)

-db-

I remembered reading your thread of when you got your AC up and running and you bought a vacuum pump. Do you have a guage? You could pump it down and valve it off and watch a guage and do a leak down test.I don't know what good numbers are for how much the guage should come up over how long of time. But if you valve it shut and it starts coming up right away you got a leak. I have heard of using a dye injected in the system to find leaks fast. Most air fittings like swaglock and others you do more to cause a leak if you crank it down when tighting it up.They are made for just like a 1/2 turn or so past finger tight.It is the same way with o-ring you don't want to crank it down just compress the o-ring so it seals. I have not worked on my AC but it sounds like pain in the arse.Might be able to watch the guage and spray water to find the leaks.

I don't know.. sounds like you know where the leak is about.Keep the cruiser and the MAC. What else you going to do for 3 hours in the evenings? Watch American Idol..... I drove to college all summer in my cruiser in Texas with no AC 30 mins each way. I know how bad it sucks after having AC.

Goodluck..

Tinker said:
Not sure I'd tell 'em I was the one that had been messing with it. Blame it on a mythical shop near your house. Pretend not to know the details other than "they don't specialize in A/C".

Then with your vast knowledge & personal experience you can tell if they're jerking you around.

The auto repair industry is very incestuous. If you make up a mythical local shop, the mechanic will know you are BSing and you will be treated accordingly.
Best bet is just to tell em you were working on it yourself and just got in over your head.
Since you know a bit about the machanicals of the system, it'll be harder for em to try and dick you over.

quit fawking with ac and let a pro do it. Somethings are more frustrating than the dollar saved.

buy a gm and see how reliable they are. GM car or truck, all crap!

swank60 said:
Hate is exactly where it stands right now. If it hadn't passed inspection, it would be sitting in the river or a lake right now.

Won't kill it! I suggest fire or a 200 ft. drop and even then it may start back up and drive away blowing hot air out of the vents. :grinpimp: Not laughing at you but you need to back away from her for a bit and maybe even take it to a pro.

My advice is to before 'getting out of Toyota's' is to go get a 23 year old American car or truck and try to keep that running and fully functional for a while. Your A/C problem will be simple by comparison. I know because I own a '93 Taurus SHO. The Yamaha engine is perfect yet, but the rest of the Ford parts are falling apart around it. This car replaced my '92 Toyota Camry which was flawless by comparision, just not nearlly as fast.

Bottom line stick with the Toyota's. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom