I guess I'll be keeping the 80-Series a bit longer... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
The new Rover Defender intrigued me until I noted that it has a hybrid drive system, independent rear suspension, fancy air suspension, unibody construction, and electronic nannies that will probably require a boat load of money to fix in 10 years.

I also read that Toyota has a new Land Cruiser debuting this August. It has a *gulp* hybrid engine mated to a CVT? Ugh. I wish Toyota would bring over the 70-series to sell alongside this oversized Highlander.

The new Rover Defender intrigued me until I noted that it has a hybrid drive system, independent rear suspension, fancy air suspension, unibody construction, and electronic nannies that will probably require a boat load of money to fix in 10 years.

I also read that Toyota has a new Land Cruiser debuting this August. It has a *gulp* hybrid engine mated to a CVT? Ugh. I wish Toyota would bring over the 70-series to sell alongside this oversized Highlander.
that 79 dual cab ...sigh.. so nice.
i literally wouldn't take a free rover unless i had a buyer and they forgave me in advance in writing. lol

Having worked on rovers and Toyota's Ive made my own personal opinion as to mechanical reliability : it seems like a Rover with 100k miles has about as many problems as a Toyota with 350 to 400k miles. I enjoy driving the rovers when they work, but thats a rare experience unless it's brand new.

The Toyota hybrid vehicles are extremely reliable.

The old Defenders ain’t what they used to be...

How does somebody switch to a Range Rover from an 80 Series? That's like going from a 964 911 to a new GTR. Such different vehicles, I don't understand how you make that switch.

I had considered a Defender 110 of similar vintage to an 80 series, but they were always MUCH more expensive to buy and to maintain. That's how I ended up with an 80 series. When the new Defender came out, it of coursed piqued my interest, but I never said I would buy one.

Either way, just like your 964 911 and GTR are go fast cars, the 80 series and new Defender are go anywhere vehicles--aside from 25 years of technological advances, their purposes are similar. People make the switch because they want newer go-anywhere cars and going from a '94 to a '97 ain't gonna cut it. Would you criticize someone going from a 40 series to an 80 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom